digitalmars.D.announce - Ddoc config.ddoc and style sheets?

reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
The new version of Ddoc should be flexible enough that people can write
config.ddoc files to cause it to generate XHTML, style sheet based HTML, or
XML output.

I'd love to see what people can come up with, so it can be incorporated as
part of the D distribution.

There's also room for wild/creative files to do things like render D
documentation in Star Trek fonts, etc!

www.digitalmars.com/d/ddoc.html
Sep 24 2005
next sibling parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:dh4s2m$vhb$2 digitaldaemon.com...
 The new version of Ddoc should be flexible enough that people can write
 config.ddoc files to cause it to generate XHTML, style sheet based HTML,
 or
 XML output.

 I'd love to see what people can come up with, so it can be incorporated as
 part of the D distribution.

 There's also room for wild/creative files to do things like render D
 documentation in Star Trek fonts, etc!

 www.digitalmars.com/d/ddoc.html
Awesome, totally awesome. This will make documentation so much easier for my project, especially since now it can be set up to ouput custom-formatted docs. However, there seems to be one major problem. Specifying a ddoc file on the commandline or setting it as the DDOCFILE in sc.ini crashes DMD. I'm not entirely sure if there's some special format I'm supposed to use, though, as I just copied the contents of the "Predefined Macros" section of the DDoc docs into a file. Are there certain macros I shouldn't be overloading, or is there some special format I should use for the ddoc files?
Sep 24 2005
parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:dh54r1$16mp$1 digitaldaemon.com...

Figured I might as well post the file, in case you want to test.

begin 666 default.ddoc
M0B ]"3QB/B0P/"]B/ T*22 ]"3QI/B0P/"]I/ T*52 ]"3QU/B0P/"]U/ T*

M"3QF;VYT(&-O;&]R/7)E9#XD,#PO9F]N=#X-"D),544 /0D\9F]N="!C;VQO
M<CUB;'5E/B0P/"]F;VYT/ T*1U)%14X /0D\9F]N="!C;VQO<CUG<F5E;CXD
M,#PO9F]N=#X-"EE%3$Q/5R ]/&9O;G0 8V]L;W(]>65L;&]W/B0P/"]F;VYT
M/ T*0DQ!0TL /0D\9F]N="!C;VQO<CUB;&%C:SXD,#PO9F]N=#X-"E=(251%
M(#T

M96%D/ T*"3Q-151!(&AT=' M97%U:78](F-O;G1E;G0M='EP92( 8V]N=&5N
M=#TB=&5X="]H=&UL.R!C:&%R<V5T/75T9BTX(CX-" D\=&ET;&4^)"A4251,
M12D\+W1I=&QE/ T*"3PO:&5A9#X

M*0T*1$1/0U]314-424].4R  /2 D, T*1$1/0U]354U-05)9("  /2 D, T*

M/2 D*$1,("0P*0T*1$1/0U]005)!35, ("  /2 D*%  )"A404),12 D,"DI

M0U]04UE-0D],"3T )"A5("0P*0T*1$1/0U]+15E73U)$"3T )"A"("0P*0T*
41$1/0U]005)!30D]("0H22 D,"D`
`
end
Sep 24 2005
next sibling parent "Unknown W. Brackets" <unknown simplemachines.org> writes:
You need a newline at the end of the file, at least as far as I can tell.

-[Unknown]

 "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> wrote in message
 news:dh54r1$16mp$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 Figured I might as well post the file, in case you want to test.

Sep 24 2005
prev sibling parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
I think the problem is the file must end in a \n.
Sep 24 2005
parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:dh5b30$1bvr$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I think the problem is the file must end in a \n.
That's it. Though you might want to fix that ;) Found a new bug though. If you try to put an embedded code section in a Params section with at least one parameter before it, such as Params: args = The list of arguments passed to the program on the command line or by the OS. The first argument is always the name of the program. ----------- void ----------- The compiler crashes with an assertion error at line 1306 of doc.c. There is no crash if the code block is in any other kind of section or if it comes before the parameters. Lastly, what is the DDOC_KEYWORD style for? It doesn't seem to be applied to any keywords, even in embedded code blocks. Is it just there for future expansion?
Sep 25 2005
parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:dh6ij4$2d0b$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Lastly, what is the DDOC_KEYWORD style for?  It doesn't seem to be applied
 to any keywords, even in embedded code blocks.  Is it just there for
future
 expansion?
Right now, it only applies to null, true and false.
Sep 25 2005
parent "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:dh6lge$2f08$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Right now, it only applies to null, true and false.
Ah, I see.
Sep 25 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent "Unknown W. Brackets" <unknown simplemachines.org> writes:
Thanks for implementing these changes.  Now, the documentation output is
considerably more flexible.

First, I have a few minor comments I found while making an XHTML
config.ddoc:

If there's no newline at the end of config.ddoc, garbage is output at
the end of the file.
There are no spaces after the commas in parameter lists, which looks
strange (and there's a space before the comma too.)  Perhaps this is my
fault?
It'd be very nice if there were a way to run the output automatically
through another program (I'm thinking tidy, which cleans up/formats
HTML) but I suppose that'd be cruft.

Attached is a config.ddoc file which should (afaict) always generate
valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional (and 1.0 Strict, and 1.1, for that matter.)
  It should also look fine in all commonly used browsers (Netscape 6+,
IE 4+, Opera 6+, Safari, etc.)

-[Unknown]

prev sibling next sibling parent reply Markus Dangl <danglm in.tum.de> writes:
Walter Bright wrote:
 The new version of Ddoc should be flexible enough that people can write
 config.ddoc files to cause it to generate XHTML, style sheet based HTML, or
 XML output.

 I'd love to see what people can come up with, so it can be incorporated as
 part of the D distribution.

 There's also room for wild/creative files to do things like render D
 documentation in Star Trek fonts, etc!

 www.digitalmars.com/d/ddoc.html
If there is someone interested in making PDF documentation, i could use my XML/XSLT experience from the ddocwiki (http://www.quit-clan.de/docwiki/) to create XML output plus some stylesheet for XML-FO. Generating XML would be useful anyways, we could even compile CHMs from it... I'm asking because it wouldn't be worth the effort if nobody will use it...
Sep 25 2005
next sibling parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Markus Dangl" <danglm in.tum.de> wrote in message
news:dh6th2$2kvo$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 If there is someone interested in making PDF documentation, i could use
 my XML/XSLT experience from the ddocwiki
 (http://www.quit-clan.de/docwiki/) to create XML output plus some
 stylesheet for XML-FO. Generating XML would be useful anyways, we could
 even compile CHMs from it...

 I'm asking because it wouldn't be worth the effort if nobody will use
it... I think it's worth doing. I want to include files in the D distribution so people can create XHTML, XML, CHM, RTF, PDF, Latex, Postscript, etc. with Ddoc. I generally subscribe to "build it, and they will come!" Also, I want to know if there are any technical obstacles preventing this from working, so Ddoc can be fixed. The only way to find that out is to try it.
Sep 25 2005
Walter Bright wrote:
 I think it's worth doing. I want to include files in the D distribution so
 people can create XHTML, XML, CHM, RTF, PDF, Latex, Postscript, etc. with
 Ddoc. I generally subscribe to "build it, and they will come!"

 Also, I want to know if there are any technical obstacles preventing this
 from working, so Ddoc can be fixed. The only way to find that out is to try
 it.
Sep 25 2005
parent Markus Dangl <danglm in.tum.de> writes:
Looking through src/dmd/doc.c i found that it sometimes uses HTML-Like
macros, for example:

in void Dsymbol::emitDitto(Scope *sc)

in void DocComment::writeSections(Scope *sc, Dsymbol *s, OutBuffer *buf)

and "$(P ...)" in highlightText.

It may be better to change these macros give them more semantic meaning,
so they will still be useful even if we're not using HTML. (e.g. XML-Fo)
Sep 25 2005
prev sibling parent Georg Wrede <georg.wrede nospam.org> writes:
Markus Dangl wrote:
 i could use
 my XML/XSLT experience from the ddocwiki
 (http://www.quit-clan.de/docwiki/) to create XML output plus some
 stylesheet for XML-FO. Generating XML would be useful anyways,
... Definitely!! If there ever was a transformation that we really need, it's XML! From that, anything can be created. That opens up the avenues for Language Independent Code Analysis, IDEs of the Future, automatic code integration from disparate languages, -- do I have to go on? Plus many, today existing uses.
Sep 25 2005
prev sibling parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jari-Matti_M=E4kel=E4?= <jmjmak invalid_utu.fi> writes:
Walter Bright wrote:
 The new version of Ddoc should be flexible enough that people can write
 config.ddoc files to cause it to generate XHTML, style sheet based HTML, or
 XML output.

 I'd love to see what people can come up with, so it can be incorporated as
 part of the D distribution.

 There's also room for wild/creative files to do things like render D
 documentation in Star Trek fonts, etc!
It would be quite useful to support class hierarchy and call graphs. Doxygen uses dot to render those.
Sep 25 2005
parent "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Jari-Matti Mäkelä" <jmjmak invalid_utu.fi> wrote in message
news:dh709n$2ms3$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Walter Bright wrote:
 The new version of Ddoc should be flexible enough that people can write
 config.ddoc files to cause it to generate XHTML, style sheet based HTML,
or
 XML output.

 I'd love to see what people can come up with, so it can be incorporated
as
 part of the D distribution.

 There's also room for wild/creative files to do things like render D
 documentation in Star Trek fonts, etc!
It would be quite useful to support class hierarchy and call graphs. Doxygen uses dot to render those.
I agree, but that'll have to wait. In the meantime, I've been using Ddoc to redo some of the Phobos documentation, and it really does cut the time down by a huge factor.
Sep 25 2005