digitalmars.D - What about a real forum?

reply bobef <bobef_member pathlink.com> writes:
Maybe this one is for Walter... Why we are using this ugly forum? It is so hard
to find anything here or follow a conversation... PHPBB is free and I've set it
fully working just by reading quick installation guide. It's looks far better
and is easy to find anythig. It has cool search and is VERY easy to
administrate. Also it is very customizable even for people like me who don't
know php and all colourful crap could be easily removed.... I believe everyone
who uses internet has seen it in action...
Mar 22 2005
next sibling parent reply Thomas Kuehne <thomas-dloop kuehne.thisisspam.cn> writes:
Mar 22 2005
parent reply bobef <bobef_member pathlink.com> writes:
I use my favourite news reader but the link in the left frame says "Forum" not
something else... And I still prefer forum than newsreader... I find it easier
to follow conversation when every article is following the one it's replyign to
rather than reading separete news... This is my opinion of course...
Mar 22 2005
parent reply Chris Sauls <ibisbasenji gmail.com> writes:
I don't know about Outlook or any others, but in Mozilla Thunderbird I
just use the "View->Sort by->Threaded" option from the menu bar, and
voila, messages are grouped in a tree, just like in a branching web forum.

-- Chris Sauls

bobef wrote:
 I use my favourite news reader but the link in the left frame says "Forum" not
 something else... And I still prefer forum than newsreader... I find it easier
 to follow conversation when every article is following the one it's replyign to
 rather than reading separete news... This is my opinion of course...

Mar 22 2005
parent "Rob Grainger" <nospam nospam.com> writes:
Yes, and in Outlook Express, newsgroups are sorted by thread by default - if
not, just choose "View->Current View->Group Messages by Conversation" to get
it working.

Rob

news:d1pn19$617$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 bobef wrote:
 I use my favourite news reader but the link in the left frame says
 "Forum" not
 something else... And I still prefer forum than newsreader... I find it
 easier
 to follow conversation when every article is following the one it's
 replyign to
 rather than reading separete news... This is my opinion of course...

Mar 23 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
bobef wrote:

 Maybe this one is for Walter... Why we are using this ugly forum? It is so hard
 to find anything here or follow a conversation...
This is not a web forum, but a newsgroup. It's a lot easier to read with a real newsreader such as Mozilla Thunderbird, than with a web browser ? But a web forum is of course also a useful thing. Dsource has one: http://www.dsource.org/forums/ But this "forum" is more like what e.g. webmail is to regular email... (I think the web access is more for archiving/linking than actual usage) --anders
Mar 22 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Alex Stevenson" <ans104 cs.york.ac.uk> writes:
I think a forum would be a good idea - a newsgroup is fine, but with a
forum it should be a little easier to manage traffic - have named
moderators for different areas who could look after things (Not that there
seems to be much need, but as interest in D grows, there probably will
be). Also it makes it easier to sort out posts in the wrong place and
other such problems. (mods and admins can just move them to the right
place).

I've done some forum admin and it's pretty easy - the only problem is
finding the webspace/bandwidth with php and mySQL (if needed) support.

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:48:01 +0000 (UTC), bobef
 Maybe this one is for Walter... Why we are using this ugly forum? It is
 so hard
 to find anything here or follow a conversation... PHPBB is free and I've
 set it
 fully working just by reading quick installation guide. It's looks far
 better
 and is easy to find anythig. It has cool search and is VERY easy to
 administrate. Also it is very customizable even for people like me who
 don't
 know php and all colourful crap could be easily removed.... I believe
 everyone
 who uses internet has seen it in action...
-- Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
Mar 22 2005
next sibling parent bobef <bobef_member pathlink.com> writes:
I don't know where is digitalmars located (assume usa, hopefuly not on mars ;)
but in my country (bulgaria), which is just a bit after mars in it's development
every web hosting service provide mysql and php and it is cheap... In fact it
would be very hard to find a provider without these services...

In article <opsn1ia1pi08qma6 mjolnir.spamnet.local>, Alex Stevenson says...