digitalmars.D - Anyone done working internal IE with D?

reply bobef <bobef_member pathlink.com> writes:
This is my question- has anyone managed to successfuly create an internal
browser in D with event notifications. My first try was with core32, but it was
incomplete (no events), I had to write kilo bytes of code to get a single window
and it was VERY VERY VERY VERY slow. My second attemt was with MFC dll. This way
I could get events with function pointers but this one worked even slower, fair
to say unresponsive. The only thing I could do after displaying a web page is
endtasking the program or click the close button and wait 3-4 minutes to
close... Am I missing something? By the way it would be cool (I don't know is it
possible, but would be very cool) to have internal browser and have access to
it's javascript trough dmdscript.
Mar 22 2005
next sibling parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <bhinkle mathworks.com> writes:
"bobef" <bobef_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:d1pbtk$2q51$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]
I recommend the Intel profiler VTune. You can also try the -gt flag to enable profiling http://www.digitalmars.com/ctg/trace.html. I haven't tried that flag myself but it looks very useful. -Ben
Mar 22 2005
parent reply "Dave" <Dave_member pathlink.com> writes:
"Ben Hinkle" <bhinkle mathworks.com> wrote in message
news:d1pevd$2tmd$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]
I think the -gt flag is useful. The primary feedback output ends up in the 'trace.log' file. As far as the bad performance, I would guess it has mostly/all to do with memory management, like making lots and lots of allocations when perhaps you could allocate outside of loops and use array slicing inside the loops more. For example, load the entire page into a buffer, slice it into it's component parts and pass those to the API's. - Dave
"Dave" <Dave_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:d1pl7d$4re$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I think the -gt flag is useful. The primary feedback output ends up in the
 'trace.log' file.
It's more than useful. Ever wonder why DMC++ has held the speed record for compilation speed for the last 15 years? Why DMDScript is twice as fast as jscript? If you want to make your app sing, -gt is the answer. <g> P.S. I wrote -gt because existing profilers at the time were notoriously difficult to use. Most required one to slog through a 50 page manual to figure out how to use, and there was a lot of work involved in setting things up. As a consequence, nobody used profilers. I wanted one that was as simple as throwing a command line switch. -gt succeeds in that, but it's still rare for anyone to use it. I'm at a loss as to why. Sometimes I wonder if the reason is because people overlook it thinking "it can't be that easy" because they are still accustomed to profilers being a big fat pain to learn how to use and apply. P.P.S. -gt is not a terribly sophisticated profiler, but I've used it extensively and it gets the job done.
Mar 22 2005
parent reply Dave <Dave_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <d1pma8$5sn$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
[...]
You're right - it is more than just useful, and is a great tool. I hadn't thought of it until you posted this, but up until -gt I didn't use profilers that much because they are generally more of a PITA than they are worth. Now I build anything time-critical with -gt during development because it is easy to use and gives good feedback, fast. Another upside is that it encourages better structured programming style to get the best feedback. Thanks for this feature, Walter! - Dave
"Dave" <Dave_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:d1pv08$fmh$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Thanks for this feature, Walter!
You're welcome! Though of course, it's paid back to me personally far more than it ever cost to write. That anyone else can get some use out of it too is just gravy.
Mar 24 2005
prev sibling parent reply "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> writes:
Try HTMLayout.
http://terrainformatica.com/htmlayout/
There is a sample in SDK - /win32
it uses pure API calls for integration - no COM, etc.
To create a D wrapper is one day task I think.

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com

[...]

parent reply "news.digitalmars.com" <charles jwavro.com> writes:
Impressive.

Charlie
"Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> wrote in message
news:d1pj8v$2ur$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

Thanks, Charlie.

We are actively developing HTMLayout now. Various wrappers in particular.
And I hope I'll have a chance to create a D wrapper.

There are couple of places where D will definitely win e.g. behaviors -
custom drivers for HTML DOM elements.

Andrew.

news:d1q3v0$kcb$1 digitaldaemon.com...

I hope so too :). Don't shoot me for this ( Dng ) but it might be cool to make an HTML based GUI for D. Easy to use, cross-platform , might be fun ! Charlie "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> wrote in message news:d1qenj$v3b$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

In fact I am designing minimalistic HTML engine in D.
It is going to be an HTML based UI. Well mix of.
Pure HTML UI is a nonsense. HTML uses
model ( non-limited tape ) not suitable for creating interactive UI.

Andrew.

"Charlie" <charles jwavro.com> wrote in message
news:d1vbc7$l6k$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

parent reply bobef <bobef_member pathlink.com> writes:
Then please make css/javascript(dmdscript) fully working because my in
expirience I've done great html based ui-s just with css and javascript and I
believe this is most important in html implementation... Then D is needed to
actualy write data or something like that... Sandly all current browser has wack
support of css standarts...

In article <d208rj$1s36$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Andrew Fedoniouk says...
[...]

Mar 25 2005
And were you have seen these standards? First: All CSS specs are recommendations. Browser teams are free to choose what level they support. Second: There are almost 200 attributes in CSS Level 3 now. Half of them dependent from each other. Third: The complexity of the spec is close to the level when system starts governing by deterministic chaos rules. Fourth: CSS recommendation as a system of rules is a fuzzy set (math) as soon as it contains phrases like "HTML UAs may apply ...." Axiom: there is no browser (UA - user agent) which conforms spec. in present and there will be no such UA in the future. Andrew. "bobef" <bobef_member pathlink.com> wrote in message news:d20msp$2bs1$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

Mar 26 2005