D - the root Object, and printf

reply "Kris" <someidiot earthlink.dot.dot.dot.net> writes:
I vaguely recall reading in the "D Programming Manual" that one should
strive to limit dependencies between modules (paraphrased from memory),
presumably to reduce code-bloat (and, uh, forward references :-)

I don't think many would really disagree with that as an underlying
principle. Therefore, I find it somewhat disconcerting that the root Object
imports and uses printf() ... printf, by it's very nature, has to then pull
in a raft of floating-point library support.

<rant>
This may be a small point, but Object.printf() really needs to be removed
IMHO. Surely the method Object.toString() is present for related, if not
identical, usage?  If someone *really* needs a printf() in a root class, or
to differentiate between toString() and print(), they can derive their own
root class (PrintfObject) and be done with it. That's hardly the majority
case, methinks.

OTOH: If there really is a good reason to differentiate, then I suggest the
base-class implementation should be present for overloading purposes only
(does nothing itself).
</rant>

Either way I think it's time to practice what is preached: let's eliminate
Object.print (or minimally the printf call; for v1.0) before a lot of people
do something silly, such as writing code that depends on it <g>

- Kris

p.s.  Note that since the gcc backend generates code for microcontrollers,
it's conceivable that D might be used for such applications ... printf is a
typically a big no-no for such things.
Apr 03 2004
next sibling parent Mike Swieton <mike swieton.net> writes:
[...]

Agreed. I don't see a need for a print method in Object, not with toString (which I think is handy). The print method should be removed. Mike Swieton __ We owe most of what we know to about one hundred men. We owe most of what we have suffered to another hundred or so. - R. W. Dickson
Apr 03 2004
prev sibling parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <bhinkle4 juno.com> writes:
I agree. It seems like Object.print is redundant. A lone toString is fine
even though it would allocate a string. Also I think toString should include
the object reference like print to make it more like Java's default toString
for java.lang.Object.

Grepping the code base print() is used in various try-catch
or debug blocks:

phobos/internal/dmain2.d:  o.print();
phobos/internal/gc/gcx.d:              current.data[i].print();
phobos/internal/gc/gcx.d:              current.data[i].print();
phobos/std/conv.d:     debug(conv) e.print();
phobos/std/conv.d:     debug(conv) e.print();
phobos/std/conv.d:     debug(conv) e.print();
phobos/std/conv.d:     debug(conv) e.print();
phobos/std/conv.d:     debug(conv) e.print();
phobos/std/conv.d:     debug(conv) e.print();
phobos/std/conv.d:     debug(conv) e.print();
phobos/std/conv.d:     debug(conv) e.print();
phobos/std/thread.d:           o.print();
phobos/std/thread.d:           o.print();

It doesn't look like a big deal to remove it.

"Kris" <someidiot earthlink.dot.dot.dot.net> wrote in message
news:c4n04m$2t7t$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

Apr 05 2004
next sibling parent reply larry cowan <larry_member pathlink.com> writes:
It would seem very easy to add a print(char[] msg) using i/o to stdout or stderr
into the Object and not call in the full printf() support.

In article <c4s61i$1npk$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Ben Hinkle says...
[...]

parent reply "Kris" <someidiot earthlink.dot.dot.dot.net> writes:
Fair enough. However, the root object should never be bound to some
semi-physical manifestation of it's surroundings. By that, I mean it should
not expect there to be a console attached to its runtime environment, or
*anything* similar. An application developer may choose to bind their
objects to environmental considerations at some level, but it shouldn't be
forced upon them. Especially at the root level :-)

Conversely; toString() assumes only that it can allocate memory or, perhaps
more typically, just return an existing array.

Imagine trying to port (or write) some D code to an environment where there
is no console, or any other kind of logging facilities? The first thing
you'd have to do is remove Object.print() and modify all the code that used
it.

I hope I don't come across as overtly "bullish" on this point.

- Kris

news:c4s812$1r19$1 digitaldaemon.com...
parent reply J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
Kris wrote:

Imagine trying to port (or write) some D code to an environment where there
is no console, or any other kind of logging facilities? The first thing
you'd have to do is remove Object.print() and modify all the code that used
it.

You'd just re-pipe it to some other output, so you wouldn't need to do any of that.

-- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Apr 05 2004
parent reply "Kris" <someidiot earthlink.dot.dot.dot.net> writes:
Ah. I meant, no Stdio either: a "thin" environment.

Perhaps I'm steering off the topic, but the most prevalent computer on the
planet (by far) is the humble microprocessor. D should not ignore the
possibility of being the language-of-choice for such platforms; it's a
superior choice over C++, which is used surprisingly often. Sure, the GC
might have to be replaced ...

Consider that Gosling (or someone at Sun) understands the importance of
embracing that world: Java is impedance-mismatched for mcu-land in many
ways, but it's gaining a surprising level of acceptance.

Anyway, the point is that printf() really does not belong in the *root*
Object, particularly so because it pulls in so much other support code. I
believe that stands regardless of where or how one deploys one's
application.

- Kris

news:c4sg9b$27qq$1 digitaldaemon.com...
parent J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
Kris wrote:

Anyway, the point is that printf() really does not belong in the *root*
Object, particularly so because it pulls in so much other support code. I
believe that stands regardless of where or how one deploys one's
application.
This I agree on. -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Apr 05 2004
prev sibling parent reply "Kris" <someidiot earthlink.dot.dot.dot.net> writes:
It rather looks like it was added for initial debugging purposes, rather
than for any far-reaching metaphysical mindgrok concept ...

How can we persuade Walter to remove this? <g>

- Kris

news:c4s61i$1npk$1 digitaldaemon.com...

parent reply J C Calvarese <jcc7 cox.net> writes:
Kris wrote:
 It rather looks like it was added for initial debugging purposes, rather
 than for any far-reaching metaphysical mindgrok concept ...

 How can we persuade Walter to remove this? <g>
If we make enough noise, he'll probably listen to us. I suspect he put it in there for debugging purposes a long time ago and never got around to removing it. I "vote" we remove printf from the root Object. Similarly, the .size and .sizeof properties are redundant. One of them has to go (I'm guessing .size will disappear.) Also, I think in order for D to thrive the C-style casting syntax must be dropped in favor of D's other cast syntax. d = (int) a; <-- old C-style (sometimes ambiguous) d = cast(int) a; <-- D-style (never ambiguous) (I know the casting has already been discussed, but since there wasn't any controversy, I figured it wouldn't hurt to mention it again. http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?D/25720)

-- Justin http://jcc_7.tripod.com/d/
J C Calvarese wrote:

 Kris wrote:

[...]

Good idea. I think it would be a good idea to remove these depreciated features ASAP, so software that is already written can be readied more quickly for 1.0. You don't want to release 1.0 and have nothing working properly with it. -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Apr 05 2004
parent reply Ben Hinkle <bhinkle4 juno.com> writes:
Good idea. I think it would be a good idea to remove these depreciated
features ASAP, so software that is already written can be readied more
quickly for 1.0.  You don't want to release 1.0 and have nothing working
properly with it.
I was just thinking the same thing a few days ago - in particular the template "instance" construct has been deprecated in favor of !. We need at least one release that rips out these crufty features so that 1.0 is as clean as possible. The documentation doesn't list it anymore but "instance" is still a keyword. -Ben
Apr 05 2004
parent reply C <dont respond.com> writes:
I agree on both points.  If were going to keep 1.0 as the standard for a=
 =

while then lets streamline it at the risk of losing some backward =

compatility.

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 19:57:33 -0400, Ben Hinkle <bhinkle4 juno.com> wrote=
:

 Good idea. I think it would be a good idea to remove these depreciate=
 features ASAP, so software that is already written can be readied mor=
 quickly for 1.0.  You don't want to release 1.0 and have nothing work=
ing
 properly with it.
I was just thinking the same thing a few days ago - in particular the template "instance" construct has been deprecated in favor of !. We need at least one release that rips out these crufty features so that 1.0 is as clean as possible. The documentation doesn't list it anymore but "instance" is still a keyword. -Ben
-- = D Newsgroup.
Apr 06 2004
parent reply "Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> writes:
"C" <dont respond.com> wrote in message news:opr51ti2oxehmtou localhost...
I agree on both points.  If were going to keep 1.0 as the standard for a
while then lets streamline it at the risk of losing some backward
compatility.

1.0?
How close do you think 1.0 is?

As the days go by, it seems further away
each day. :o(

Phill.

 Good idea. I think it would be a good idea to remove these depreciated
 features ASAP, so software that is already written can be readied more
 quickly for 1.0.  You don't want to release 1.0 and have nothing working
 properly with it.
I was just thinking the same thing a few days ago - in particular the template "instance" construct has been deprecated in favor of !. We need at least one release that rips out these crufty features so that 1.0 is as clean as possible. The documentation doesn't list it anymore but "instance" is still a keyword. -Ben
-- D Newsgroup. --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.648 / Virus Database: 415 - Release Date: 3/31/2004
Apr 07 2004
parent reply Brad Anderson <brad dsource.dot.org> writes:
Phill wrote:
 "C" <dont respond.com> wrote in message news:opr51ti2oxehmtou localhost...
 I agree on both points.  If were going to keep 1.0 as the standard for a
 while then lets streamline it at the risk of losing some backward
 compatility.

 1.0?
 How close do you think 1.0 is?

At SDWest (3/17), Walter said he'd like to get it out by the end of the month. That didn't happen, but I'd rather see the delay and have him get some work done on Interfaces and other bugs than to rush out 1.0. He's resisted so far, so hopefully he can tidy it up in the first half of the year... BA
Apr 07 2004
Brad Anderson wrote:

 At SDWest (3/17), Walter said he'd like to get it out by the end of
 the month.  That didn't happen, but I'd rather see the delay and have
 him get some work done on Interfaces and other bugs than to rush out
 1.0. He's resisted so far, so hopefully he can tidy it up in the first
 half of the year...

 BA
Yes I too would rather a delay of a few months then a rushed product. Of course there will probably always be some problem issue popping up with D that needs to be *fixed* and these may even be more important then the com issue. If W delayed 1.0 D for every one, it would never get there. -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Apr 07 2004
parent reply "Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> writes:
For that matter id rather him delay it for  6 months,
or even more, than to present an inferior language.

Nothing but the best for D, is what id like to see.

Phill.

"J Anderson" <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> wrote in message
news:c51l6a$v1i$1 digitaldaemon.com...

parent reply Dave Sieber <dsieber spamnot.sbcglobal.net> writes:
"Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> wrote:

 Nothing but the best for D, is what id like to see.
LOL. You're a poet and don't know it :-) Actually, I'd like to see that too, but the recent interface discussion worries me, to be honest. I hadn't gotten into using them yet with D, but to learn that the design catered to COM, of all things, kinda shook me up. It has always been my philosophy that you NEVER cripple a design for old, obsolete, or deficient technologies -- you bring the older technology into line in whatever way possible, without affecting new work. If that means special pragmas or keywords, fine, but do NOT hinder new development. I certainly hope Walter takes the opinions voices here recently into account. Anyway, while it's been fun checking out D, I need to get back to real work, alas, with C++. After this project, maybe I'll have time to come back and see how these issues have turned out, and hopefully see a 1.0 release. Go for it, Walter! -- dave
Apr 08 2004
parent "Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> writes:
"Dave Sieber" <dsieber spamnot.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:Xns94C565EDC2E19dsiebersbc 63.105.9.61...
 Nothing but the best for D, is what id like to see.
LOL. You're a poet and don't know it :-)
Your right, I didnt know it(or notice it) hahaha. Phill.

 --
 dave