D - char/wchar/dchar phobos function calls

reply =?iso-8859-1?Q?Miguel_Ferreira_Sim=F5es?= <kobold netcabo.pt> writes:
	charset="iso-8859-1"

after reading the Dspecs... i understood that Walter considered Unicode =
the future.
the problem is that almost all functions from the standard library(std) =
do not support unicode.
examples:
    char[] getDirName(char[] fullname)
    void rename(char[] from, char[] to)=20

probably this question may sounds a little bit silly...=20
Can anyone explain me how we should support internationalization? Is it =
illegal to have unicode dir paths?
Is Unicode only used to communicate with a client, like error messages?

best regards,
Miguel Sim=F5es
	charset="iso-8859-1"

My first thought was to have 3 versions of each library function, one =
for each UTF type. It quickly became clear that Phobos would get too =
large and bulky with this. So, the plan evolved so that Phobos would =
revolve about UTF-8 (which *is* unicode, so the library functions do =
support unicode). Currently, not all of the Phobos library functions =
handle UTF-8 correctly, but many do (see std.file).

  "Miguel Ferreira Sim=F5es" <kobold netcabo.pt> wrote in message =
news:c4mc2t$1upj$1 digitaldaemon.com...
  after reading the Dspecs... i understood that Walter considered =
Unicode the future.
  the problem is that almost all functions from the standard =
library(std) do not support unicode.
  examples:
      char[] getDirName(char[] fullname)
      void rename(char[] from, char[] to)=20

  probably this question may sounds a little bit silly...=20
  Can anyone explain me how we should support internationalization? Is =
it illegal to have unicode dir paths?
  Is Unicode only used to communicate with a client, like error =
messages?

  best regards,
  Miguel Sim=F5es
Apr 03 2004
parent reply =?iso-8859-1?Q?Miguel_Ferreira_Sim=F5es?= <kobold netcabo.pt> writes:
	charset="iso-8859-1"

Ok. But i did not understand a point: if i work with "char" and call any =
function of the Windows Api what version it will call?=20
The Wide version (W) or the Ascii version (A)? So you are advicing me to =
use almost always "char"?

  "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> escreveu na mensagem =
news:c4n1bb$2v24$2 digitaldaemon.com...
  My first thought was to have 3 versions of each library function, one =
for each UTF type. It quickly became clear that Phobos would get too =
large and bulky with this. So, the plan evolved so that Phobos would =
revolve about UTF-8 (which *is* unicode, so the library functions do =
support unicode). Currently, not all of the Phobos library functions =
handle UTF-8 correctly, but many do (see std.file).
	charset="iso-8859-1"

It's a bit tricky to make it work right, please look at std.file which I =
think works correctly and shows how to do it.
  "Miguel Ferreira Sim=F5es" <kobold netcabo.pt> wrote in message =
news:c4pr07$vfb$1 digitaldaemon.com...
  Ok. But i did not understand a point: if i work with "char" and call =
any function of the Windows Api what version it will call?=20
  The Wide version (W) or the Ascii version (A)? So you are advicing me =
to use almost always "char"?

    "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> escreveu na mensagem =
news:c4n1bb$2v24$2 digitaldaemon.com...
    My first thought was to have 3 versions of each library function, =
one for each UTF type. It quickly became clear that Phobos would get too =
large and bulky with this. So, the plan evolved so that Phobos would =
revolve about UTF-8 (which *is* unicode, so the library functions do =
support unicode). Currently, not all of the Phobos library functions =
handle UTF-8 correctly, but many do (see std.file).
Apr 04 2004