D - what are you using D for?

reply imr1984 <imr1984_member pathlink.com> writes:
What are you guys currently working on using D? Im making another FPS game with
OpenGL. Its gonna support destructible geometry.
Jan 24 2004
next sibling parent reply "Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
I'm writing libraries and simple command-line utilities.

Once I've got some serious progression on DTL in Feb/Mar, I plan to rewrite
several of my shell extensions - http://shellext.com - in D, and thereby
create a simpler analogue to ATL for D+COM.

I don't see me writing any GUI programs for a long time, not until there are
wizards and all that crap that I can get with Visual C++ at the moment.
Charles, what's the state of DIDE wrt all this workflow gadgetry ... ???

"imr1984" <imr1984_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:butbje$jj7$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 What are you guys currently working on using D? Im making another FPS game
with
 OpenGL. Its gonna support destructible geometry.
Jan 24 2004
parent reply "C" <dont respond.com> writes:
Not this release , but the next one will have Add Project Wizard , and Ill
be bundling Windy with DIDE.  The release after that I hope to have a simple
RAD kit built in Windy, Im knocking out MDI this weekend ( except for
Sunday, thats fishing day.  Fisihing is real popular in america is popular
else where ? ).

I've never written a win32 MDI and it seems pretty complex , the only sample
I could find was IconPro in the Platform SDK, does anyone have a simple
Notepad type application written in straight C ?

Another big help would be the DTL.  BTW I just looked at those shell
extensions ( I remember reading the remote reboot article ) very cool!

"Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> wrote in message
news:buti2b$1033$3 digitaldaemon.com...
 I'm writing libraries and simple command-line utilities.

 Once I've got some serious progression on DTL in Feb/Mar, I plan to
rewrite
 several of my shell extensions - http://shellext.com - in D, and thereby
 create a simpler analogue to ATL for D+COM.

 I don't see me writing any GUI programs for a long time, not until there
are
 wizards and all that crap that I can get with Visual C++ at the moment.
 Charles, what's the state of DIDE wrt all this workflow gadgetry ... ???

 "imr1984" <imr1984_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
 news:butbje$jj7$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 What are you guys currently working on using D? Im making another FPS
game
 with
 OpenGL. Its gonna support destructible geometry.
Jan 24 2004
next sibling parent reply "Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> writes:
"C" <dont respond.com> wrote in message
news:buugqt$2egr$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Not this release , but the next one will have Add Project Wizard , and Ill
 be bundling Windy with DIDE.  The release after that I hope to have a
simple
 RAD kit built in Windy, Im knocking out MDI this weekend ( except for
 Sunday, thats fishing day.  Fisihing is real popular in america is popular
 else where ? ).
I just love Fly fishing for trout! You arent one of them guys that drills a hole in the ice and fishes are you? Phill.
Jan 24 2004
parent reply "C" <dont respond.com> writes:
Hehe no , I live in Texas so its mostly me and my redneck freinds sneaking
on to a lake , drinking beer and catch and release'ing :).

"Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> wrote in message
news:buup44$2r0k$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "C" <dont respond.com> wrote in message
 news:buugqt$2egr$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Not this release , but the next one will have Add Project Wizard , and
Ill
 be bundling Windy with DIDE.  The release after that I hope to have a
simple
 RAD kit built in Windy, Im knocking out MDI this weekend ( except for
 Sunday, thats fishing day.  Fisihing is real popular in america is
popular
 else where ? ).
I just love Fly fishing for trout! You arent one of them guys that drills a hole in the ice and fishes are you? Phill.
Jan 25 2004
next sibling parent reply Brad Anderson <brad sankaty.dot.com> writes:
Ah, another Texan...

Where abouts are you?  I'm in Houston.

BA

C wrote:
[...]

parent "C" <dont respond.com> writes:
DFW.  I live in between, but an hour in any direction will put you in the
coutry.

news:bv26sk$1vfn$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 C wrote:
 Hehe no , I live in Texas so its mostly me and my redneck freinds
sneaking
 on to a lake , drinking beer and catch and release'ing :).

 "Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> wrote in message
 news:buup44$2r0k$1 digitaldaemon.com...

"C" <dont respond.com> wrote in message
news:buugqt$2egr$1 digitaldaemon.com...

Not this release , but the next one will have Add Project Wizard , and
Ill
be bundling Windy with DIDE.  The release after that I hope to have a
simple
RAD kit built in Windy, Im knocking out MDI this weekend ( except for
Sunday, thats fishing day.  Fisihing is real popular in america is
popular
else where ? ).
I just love Fly fishing for trout! You arent one of them guys that drills a hole in the ice and fishes are you? Phill.
Jan 26 2004
prev sibling parent kinghajj <kinghajj_member pathlink.com> writes:
I'm writing an interpreter for a scripting language that I'm making. It doesn't
do much no, and is yet to be public.

I've tried other languages, and D seems to be the easiest to do this in.
Jan 25 2004
prev sibling parent "Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
 Not this release , but the next one will have Add Project Wizard , and Ill
 be bundling Windy with DIDE.  The release after that I hope to have a
simple
 RAD kit built in Windy, Im knocking out MDI this weekend ( except for
 Sunday, thats fishing day.  Fisihing is real popular in america is popular
 else where ? ).
It's pretty popular here in Aus, although sea fishing mainly. Amusingly, if you're you have a perverse sense of humour anyway, is the fact that sea-fishing kills more people in Australia than all other sports combined. That's one in the eye for people who contend that fishing, like golf, is not a sport (they're correct in the case of golf, of course). If you're at serious risk of dying for your pastime, I think you can call it a sport if you want.
 I've never written a win32 MDI and it seems pretty complex , the only
sample
 I could find was IconPro in the Platform SDK, does anyone have a simple
 Notepad type application written in straight C ?
It's been several years since I've done so. I trust you've already learned that Win32 provides specific MDI frame and child classes. You should build your solution on these. (If you're using MFC, it's pretty simple IIRC)
 Another big help would be the DTL.
I'm sure it will. I'm look forward to doing this. My next book is on STL, so doing DTL at the same time will provide a nice counterpoint, I think. And hopefully once that one's well underway we can persuade the publisher that the time is ripe for a book on D. Before that happens, though, we'll need to take it to the next "level", in terms of capabilities and exposure. To that end, Walter and I have, between us, four articles on the subject coming out in the next few months, and Walter's doing SDWest. But having great IDDE(s) and libraries, and some real production quality tools/products built in it, which I hope will happen in the next six months, will be more compelling still. Of course, getting contributions for The D Journal would be good, but I guess it's still too early
 BTW I just looked at those shell
 extensions ( I remember reading the remote reboot article ) very cool!
Thanks! I think so too. I couldn't survive in Windows without the Grab Path shell extension, and I use the Remote Reboot and File Touch pretty much daily as well. I've several more planned - although I'm always happy to receive requests! - but am deferring implementation until I can do them in D.

[...]

prev sibling parent reply "George D. Filiotis" <g.filiotis remove.spforge.com> writes:
imr, how have you gotten OpenGL to work?

I am hoping to port my fairly large set of OGL libraries from C++ to D, but
I can't get OGL to work yet
I guess this question includes how to get WGL working

 What are you guys currently working on using D? Im making another FPS game
with
 OpenGL. Its gonna support destructible geometry.
Jan 28 2004
parent J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
George D. Filiotis wrote:

imr, how have you gotten OpenGL to work?

I am hoping to port my fairly large set of OGL libraries from C++ to D, but
I can't get OGL to work yet
I guess this question includes how to get WGL working

What are you guys currently working on using D? Im making another FPS game

with
OpenGL. Its gonna support destructible geometry.

I use dig for OpenGL. www.openD.org. However, currently that doesn't work with 0.79 so you can use the version on my webpage. -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Jan 28 2004