digitalmars.D.announce - DWT windows version 0.3

reply "Shawn Liu" <liuxuhong.cn gmail.com> writes:
DWT is a port of the SWT (Standard Widget Toolkit) GUI Library from Java to
D language.
Most DWT APIs is SWT compliant. (SWT 3.02 port)

Download Source code here :
http://svn.dsource.org/projects/dwt/downloads/dwt-win.rar

Binary Example :
http://svn.dsource.org/projects/dwt/downloads/examples/controlexample.exe

More Example and Screenshorts
http://svn.dsource.org/projects/dwt/downloads/examples/controlexample.png
http://svn.dsource.org/projects/dwt/downloads/examples/dummyeclipse.png
http://svn.dsource.org/projects/dwt/downloads/examples/

Forum on DSource
http://www.dsource.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=1

version 0.3:
1) adjust the directory structure, more like DFL.
2) Some bugs fixed
3) clumsy Callback removed, implemented in other way.
4) Image support : gif jpg png winbmp winicon
5) Both UNICODE and ANSI version supported.
   default to UNICODE version, use -version=ANSI to override,
   recommend to use UNICODE
   TCHAR is aliased to char/wchar depends on the version ident you set,
   default to wchar since default version is UNICODE
6) some examples provided, illustrate how to use DWT widgets, delegates,
images, layout

How to use

1) extracts all files to \dmd directory. (overwrite the \dmd
directory),"\dmd" is where the DMD installed.

2) modify the sc.ini in \dmd\bin, to add the import path of dwt library
    change
    DFLAGS="-I% P%\..\src\phobos"
    DFLAGS="-I% P%\..\src\phobos;c:\dmd\import" or
    DFLAGS="-I% P%\..\src\phobos;d:\dmd\import" if you install DMD in disk D

3) make sure "Derek Parnell"'s Build.exe is in your PATH envirement
    if you don't have Build.exe yet, download it here.
    http://www.dsource.org/projects/build/

4) navigate to \dmd\import\
   run "make-swt-lib.bat" then copy swt.lib(release version) and
   swtd.lib(debug version) to \dmd\lib

5) navigate to \dmd\packages\swt\examples\???
   and run the "run-build.bat" file or "run-dmd.bat"
   "run-build.bat" recompiles all the source code include the DWT source by
Build
   "run-dmd.bat" compiles only example source and link to swt.lib

- Shawn Liu
Aug 13 2005
next sibling parent reply Paul Runde <prunde consolidated.net> writes:
Does controlexample.exe only work in Windows XP?  I have Windows ME and
I get an error message telling me to upgrade to a newer version of Windows.

Paul

Shawn Liu wrote:
[...]

parent "Shawn Liu" <liuxuhong.cn gmail.com> writes:
Try to rebuild the application use -version=ANSI, since Windows ME is not
UNICODE APIs.
You need rebuild both the library and application.
Or just execute "run-build.bat" in examples\controlexample folder
with -version=ANSI switch, Build will rebuild the full source code but get a
little big size in executable.

I didn't test the library under windows 98 or ME, but both ANSI/UNICODE
versions can run in Win2k/XP.

"Paul Runde" <prunde consolidated.net>
wrote:ddlhoe$erq$1 digitaldaemon.com...

prev sibling next sibling parent John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com> writes:
Shawn Liu wrote:
[...]

I'm a little late in mentioning this... been very busy... but: Shawn, Once again superb work! All the examples worked that I tested (Windows XP Pro). I was particularly impressed with controlexample.exe. It demonstrates the extensive range of features available to DWT. And it all works flawlessly! I have yet to test the actual compile/build process for the samples, but it's looking very good so far. Thanks for keeping the effort going. From what I can see DWT has huge potential in its current form. It looks to be more powerful than anything currently available for D, in the GUI bracket. Good to see that you cleaned up the callback system too. -JJR
Aug 14 2005
Shawn Liu wrote:
[...]

Also, I just wanted to say that it's really nice to see the fast performance of DWT with D as compared to SWT and java. Java always takes so long to load the libraries and VM. The difference is readily apparant. -JJR
Aug 14 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent Dejan Lekic <leka entropy.tmok.com> writes:
Mr. Liu,
all I can say is - AMAZING! :) Good work, and thanks! :)

Dejan Lekic
  http://dejan.lekic.org

Aug 13 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply zwang <nehzgnaw gmail.com> writes:
Cool!!

The only problem I've found so far is the canvas demo.
Steps to reproduce the bug:
1. Start controlexample.exe;
2. Select the "canvas" tab and click "200x200";
3. Scroll the canvas either horizontally or vertically.
    Then the circle is not refreshed correctly.

Shawn Liu wrote:
[...]

parent xs0 <xs0 xs0.com> writes:
zwang wrote:
 Cool!!
Yup, great work Shawn!
 The only problem I've found so far is the canvas demo.
 Steps to reproduce the bug:
 1. Start controlexample.exe;
 2. Select the "canvas" tab and click "200x200";
 3. Scroll the canvas either horizontally or vertically.
    Then the circle is not refreshed correctly.
Happens to me too.. If NO_MERGE_PAINTS is enabled, though, it works fine, so the problem may be there... xs0
Aug 14 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Charles" <noone nowhere.com> writes:
Wow looks great, and fast!

Builds w/o problems here , great work!

Couple small things I noticed , when building the examples , the run-build
commands are't e(-X)cluding the swt package so the whole thing gets compiled
in , not a big deal just a slightly longer build time.

"Shawn Liu" <liuxuhong.cn gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ddlgim$e45$2 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

parent "Charles" <noone nowhere.com> writes:
Oops , accidentally hit send .  Anyway amazing work!

Charlie

"Charles" <noone nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:ddnsng$279e$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

prev sibling parent reply "Shawn Liu" <shawn666.liu gmail.com> writes:
DWT Windows version 0.3 update:
Some bugs fixed.
1) Canvas refresh problem. Thanks to zwang!
2) Removed the ripples in the CTabFolder in "DummyEclipse" example.

The source location moved into a "win32" subfolder since we may have Linux
version port in the future.
http://svn.dsource.org/projects/dwt/downloads/win32/dwt-win32.rar

binary examples and screenshot
http://svn.dsource.org/projects/dwt/downloads/win32/examples/

Forum on DSource
http://www.dsource.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=1

Any comments and bug report are welcome.

- Shawn Liu
Aug 18 2005
Shawn Liu wrote:
 DWT Windows version 0.3 update:
 Some bugs fixed.
 1) Canvas refresh problem. Thanks to zwang!
 2) Removed the ripples in the CTabFolder in "DummyEclipse" example.

 The source location moved into a "win32" subfolder since we may have Linux
 version port in the future.
 http://svn.dsource.org/projects/dwt/downloads/win32/dwt-win32.rar

 binary examples and screenshot
 http://svn.dsource.org/projects/dwt/downloads/win32/examples/

 Forum on DSource
 http://www.dsource.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=1

 Any comments and bug report are welcome.

 - Shawn Liu

Also, any D programmers interested in improving the project, and generally helping out in any way, are very welcome. We're looking at starting the linux-GTK port shortly. It will be exciting to see DWT become trully cross-platform. Report in on dsource DWT forum if you are interested. :-) -JJR
Aug 19 2005
prev sibling parent reply zwang <nehzgnaw gmail.com> writes:
Shawn Liu wrote:
 DWT Windows version 0.3 update:
 Some bugs fixed.
 1) Canvas refresh problem. Thanks to zwang!
 2) Removed the ripples in the CTabFolder in "DummyEclipse" example.

 The source location moved into a "win32" subfolder since we may have Linux
 version port in the future.
 http://svn.dsource.org/projects/dwt/downloads/win32/dwt-win32.rar

 binary examples and screenshot
 http://svn.dsource.org/projects/dwt/downloads/win32/examples/

 Forum on DSource
 http://www.dsource.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=1

 Any comments and bug report are welcome.

 - Shawn Liu

One thing puzzles me is that "run-build.bat" generates bigger executable files than "run-dmd.bat" does. For example: | controlexample.exe | dummyeclipse.exe | --------------+--------------------+------------------| run-build.bat | 2.0 MB | 1.2 MB | run-dmd.bat | 1.2 MB | 0.8 MB | "run-build.bat" also runs waaaaaay more slowly. Why is it so?
Aug 19 2005
next sibling parent reply John Reimer <brk_6502 yahoo.com> writes:
zwang wrote:
 Shawn Liu wrote:

[...]

I noticed this too. I'm not sure what's going on there either, but it looks like dmd/link automatically removes redundant symbols/objects from the final build. The build tool doesn't seem to do that: it seems to include every import referenced/compiled. I also noticed that if you try to use the build tool for some of the examples, the resulting executable is invalid. I not quite sure what to make of it. I ran across a similar problem with build while I was working on a dyndui package. -JJR
Aug 19 2005
next sibling parent Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
[...]

Oh! Can I do anything to help here? I don't want Build being an inferior choice. Can you show be the contents of these .BAT files and maybe the resulting .RSP and .KSP files that Build creates. -- Derek Parnell Melbourne, Australia 20/08/2005 8:32:54 AM
Aug 19 2005
prev sibling parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
[...]

One quick difference is that the run-dmd uses the -release and -O switches but the run-build doesn't. That would have an effect of the .exe sizes. -- Derek Parnell Melbourne, Australia 20/08/2005 8:44:07 AM
Aug 19 2005
parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
 I noticed this too.  I'm not sure what's going on there either, but it
 looks like dmd/link automatically removes redundant symbols/objects from
 the final build.  The build tool doesn't seem to do that: it seems to
 include every import referenced/compiled.
One quick difference is that the run-dmd uses the -release and -O switches but the run-build doesn't. That would have an effect of the .exe sizes.
Just noticed another difference. The run-build uses the -debug switch but the run-dmd doesn't. That would mean the run-build includes debugging code into the exe but run-dmd removes that. -- Derek Parnell Melbourne, Australia 20/08/2005 8:46:26 AM
Aug 19 2005
next sibling parent John Reimer <brk_6502 yahoo.com> writes:
Derek Parnell wrote:
I noticed this too.  I'm not sure what's going on there either, but it
looks like dmd/link automatically removes redundant symbols/objects from
the final build.  The build tool doesn't seem to do that: it seems to
include every import referenced/compiled.
One quick difference is that the run-dmd uses the -release and -O switches but the run-build doesn't. That would have an effect of the .exe sizes.
Just noticed another difference. The run-build uses the -debug switch but the run-dmd doesn't. That would mean the run-build includes debugging code into the exe but run-dmd removes that.
You're right. That should describe the size differential. I didn't check that... sorry. I'm not sure why the executable didn't run, but maybe I should use the same compile flags and see if that makes it work :-) -JJR
Derek Parnell wrote:
I noticed this too.  I'm not sure what's going on there either, but it
looks like dmd/link automatically removes redundant symbols/objects from
the final build.  The build tool doesn't seem to do that: it seems to
include every import referenced/compiled.
One quick difference is that the run-dmd uses the -release and -O switches but the run-build doesn't. That would have an effect of the .exe sizes.
Just noticed another difference. The run-build uses the -debug switch but the run-dmd doesn't. That would mean the run-build includes debugging code into the exe but run-dmd removes that.
I guess you're not using the lastest version of DWT because the compiling switches for both run-build.bat and run-dmd.bat are the same in DWT v0.3. For example: build controlexample.d -release -O -w -gui -clean -Tcontrolexample.exe dmd -release -O -L/SUBSYSTEM:windows:5 swt.lib advapi32.lib comctl32.lib gdi32.lib shell32.lib comdlg32.lib ole32.lib user32_swt.lib imm32_swt.lib shell32_swt.lib msimg32_swt.lib usp10_swt.lib gdi32_swt.lib kernel32_swt.lib olepro32_swt.lib oleaut32_swt.lib oleacc_swt.lib alignabletab.d buttontab.d canvastab.d ccombotab.d clabeltab.d combotab.d controlexample.d coolbartab.d ctabfoldertab.d dialogtab.d grouptab.d labeltab.d listtab.d progressbartab.d rangetab.d sashformtab.d sashtab.d scrollabletab.d shelltab.d slidertab.d styledtexttab.d tab.d tabfoldertab.d tabletab.d tabletreetab.d texttab.d toolbartab.d treetab.d controlexample.res -ofcontrolexample.exe Neither uses the -debug switch, but the former command produces a more bloated executable.
Aug 19 2005
next sibling parent reply Dave <Dave_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <de64m0$6u4$1 digitaldaemon.com>, zwang says...
Derek Parnell wrote:
[...]
I tried the controlexample and dummyeclipse with combinations of -O, -release, -inline and -debug alone, building with both 'build' and 'dmd', and they ran fine (WinXP SP2, dmd v0.129, build v2.9(1197)).
Aug 19 2005

Derek Parnell wrote:

[...]
Yes, but I was talking about the huge difference between .exe file sizes and compiling time.
Aug 19 2005
parent Dave <Dave_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <de6fvh$etb$1 digitaldaemon.com>, zwang says...
Dave wrote:
 In article <de64m0$6u4$1 digitaldaemon.com>, zwang says...

 I tried the controlexample and dummyeclipse with combinations of -O, -release,
 -inline and -debug alone, building with both 'build' and 'dmd', and they ran
 fine (WinXP SP2, dmd v0.129, build v2.9(1197)).

Yes, but I was talking about the huge difference between .exe file sizes and compiling time.
I followed up to the wrong post (yours), and not: http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?digitalmars.D.announce/1241 What looked to be the worst issue was that the 'build' executable wouldn't run, so I was trying to provide a little feedback on that..
Aug 20 2005
prev sibling parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
I noticed this too.  I'm not sure what's going on there either, but it
looks like dmd/link automatically removes redundant symbols/objects from
the final build.  The build tool doesn't seem to do that: it seems to
include every import referenced/compiled.
One quick difference is that the run-dmd uses the -release and -O switches but the run-build doesn't. That would have an effect of the .exe sizes.
Just noticed another difference. The run-build uses the -debug switch but the run-dmd doesn't. That would mean the run-build includes debugging code into the exe but run-dmd removes that.
I guess you're not using the lastest version of DWT because the compiling switches for both run-build.bat and run-dmd.bat are the same in DWT v0.3.
No, I was looking at the latest DWT version, but I saw it wrong. There is no -debug in the run-build.bat file; my mistake. However, there should be "-Xswt" in the Build script so that build doesn't try to recompile and link the library source files again. -- Derek Parnell Melbourne, Australia 20/08/2005 3:05:42 PM
Aug 19 2005
Derek Parnell wrote:
[...]
The "-Xswt" switch works fine with the "controlexample", though the executable is still slightly bigger. But "build dummyeclipse.d -w -gui -release -O -clean -Tdummyeclipse.exe -Xswt" fails to compile at all.
Aug 19 2005
zwang wrote:
 Derek Parnell wrote:
 No, I was looking at the latest DWT version, but I saw it wrong. There is
 no -debug in the run-build.bat file; my mistake.
 However, there should be "-Xswt" in the Build script so that build
 doesn't
 try to recompile and link the library source files again.
The "-Xswt" switch works fine with the "controlexample", though the executable is still slightly bigger. But "build dummyeclipse.d -w -gui -release -O -clean -Tdummyeclipse.exe -Xswt" fails to compile at all.
Well, it compiles but with an enormous list of linker errors.
Aug 19 2005
parent Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
 No, I was looking at the latest DWT version, but I saw it wrong. There is
 no -debug in the run-build.bat file; my mistake.
 However, there should be "-Xswt" in the Build script so that build
 doesn't
 try to recompile and link the library source files again.
The "-Xswt" switch works fine with the "controlexample", though the executable is still slightly bigger. But "build dummyeclipse.d -w -gui -release -O -clean -Tdummyeclipse.exe -Xswt" fails to compile at all.
Well, it compiles but with an enormous list of linker errors.
That is because you specified the libraries to link in the run-dmd file but didn't in the run-build file. In the controlexamples source file you had specified all the pragmas for build but you didn't in the dummyecplise source file. -- Derek Parnell Melbourne, Australia 20/08/2005 5:04:16 PM
Aug 20 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply John Reimer <brk_6502 yahoo.com> writes:
zwang wrote:
 Shawn Liu wrote:

[...]

Did you try running the dummeclipse.exe after building it with run-build.bat? Mine wouldn't run. -JJR
Aug 19 2005
John Reimer wrote:
 zwang wrote:

 Shawn Liu wrote:

[...]

Yes, I did. The .exe runs normally. BTW, I'm using the latest version of DWT and dmd on WinXP.
Aug 19 2005
zwang wrote:

 Did you try running the dummeclipse.exe after building it with
 run-build.bat?  Mine wouldn't run.

 -JJR
Yes, I did. The .exe runs normally. BTW, I'm using the latest version of DWT and dmd on WinXP.
I must have done something weird, then.
Aug 20 2005
prev sibling parent Shawn Liu <Shawn_member pathlink.com> writes:
I have noticed this before.
"run-build.bat" compiles all the source files include SWT source and links these
objs to a .exe without "swt.lib". This leads to a big size.
"run-dmd.bat" will compile only the example source files and link to "swt.lib".
(You must build swt.lib before "run-dmd.bat").

Use build to link with "swt.lib" you should exclude the SWT source by "-Xswt"
and specify the "swt.lib". like
"build dummyeclipse.d -w -gui -release -O -clean -Tdummyeclipse.exe -Xswt
swt.lib"
In this way, the exe size is small enough but still a little bigger than the one
"run-dmd.bat" generated. This looks some strange since build just invoke
"link.exe" like dmd does in my thought.
Aug 21 2005