digitalmars.D.announce - announcements

reply bobef <bobef_member pathlink.com> writes:
Just thought... should we anounce (should I say flood) every 0.000000001 version
change in our things here? Or once we announce something everyone interested can
check our site (if there is such) for updates?
Aug 12 2005
next sibling parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
 Just thought... should we anounce (should I say flood) every 0.000000001
version
 change in our things here? Or once we announce something everyone interested
can
 check our site (if there is such) for updates?
My previous announcements were in March, April, and May. I thought I'd place a notice here this time simply because it has been a few months since there had been any change. All my normal announcements are placed in the DSource site. So I've placed a total of 4 here over six months - is that flooding? Who has been flooding the group with announcements? And if we only ever make one announcement here, how would people, who are new to the group, get to hear about new releases if they never saw the first notice? -- Derek Parnell Melbourne, Australia 12/08/2005 8:14:00 PM
Aug 12 2005
next sibling parent Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
For those with a RSS reader, I'll keep you informed by updating ...

  http://www.users.bigpond.com/ddparnell/build.rss

--
Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia
prev sibling parent bobef <bobef_member pathlink.com> writes:
My previous announcements were in March, April, and May. I thought I'd
place a notice here this time simply because it has been a few months since
there had been any change. All my normal announcements are placed in the
DSource site. So I've placed a total of 4 here over six months - is that
flooding?
I don't think so :)
Who has been flooding the group with announcements?
I don't accuse anyone. Just share my thoughts...
And if we only ever make one announcement here, how would people, who are new
to the group, get
to hear about new releases if they never saw the first notice?
You got point.
Aug 12 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <ben.hinkle gmail.com> writes:
"bobef" <bobef_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:ddhpqd$2tq6$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Just thought... should we anounce (should I say flood) every 0.000000001
 version
 change in our things here? Or once we announce something everyone
 interested can
 check our site (if there is such) for updates?
My own .02 is that bugfixes shouldn't be announced but it's fine to announce an update that contains new features or big changes. I don't think this newsgroup gets too much traffic. Design discussions for particular projects should probably move to dsource or some other forum if they get long. If an announcement spawns a rather long thread that I'm not interested in I skip it.
Aug 12 2005
parent bobef <bobef_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <ddi3dp$7hv$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Ben Hinkle says...

My own .02 is that bugfixes shouldn't be announced but it's fine to announce
an update that contains new features or big changes. I don't think this
newsgroup gets too much traffic. Design discussions for particular projects
should probably move to dsource or some other forum if they get long. If an
announcement spawns a rather long thread that I'm not interested in I skip
it.
Support.
Aug 12 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Dejan Lekic <leka entropy.tmok.com> writes:
Bob, simply skip those announcement threads that You find not interesting -
that is what I do, especially those which are non-free and/or
closed-source...

Dejan Lekic
  http://dejan.lekic.org

Aug 12 2005
parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Dejan Lekic" <leka entropy.tmok.com> wrote in message
news:ddil7c$s1t$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Bob, simply skip those announcement threads that You find not
 interesting -
 that is what I do, especially those which are non-free and/or
 closed-source...
Well, that's rather close-minded. If someone made a program in D and was actually making money off it, I would be pretty excited for them, as a commercial product made in D could only mean better exposure for D. And as I'm making a (currently) closed-source project, I take this comment somewhat personally. Then again, with your attitude towards closed-source software, you're probably using Linux and wouldn't be able to use my project anyway.
Aug 12 2005
parent reply Dejan Lekic <leka entropy.tmok.com> writes:
Mr. Billingsley, maybe I am close-minded, but if someone uses this newsgroup
for commercial advertizements, than it is IMHO expected that people like me
will simply mark that thread as readed and continue to next one. D will get
exposure with, or without closed-source or non-free software projects. I am
one of those developers who think that soon era of closed-source and
non-free software will be over. I am pretty sure even You mister are using
almost 50% of free-software at the moment.
I am cross-platform developer, system administrator, and DBA, with more than
13 years of working experience, and I am developing software for different
plaforms. Yes, I am using GNU/Linux, multiple versions of Windows (TM),
Solaris and few other Unices, and I have developed closed-cource
applications as well. :)

About open-source, and D popularization: IMHO open-source, free software
named GDC propagated D more than ANY other, commercial D project. I would
dare to say it propagated D more than _ALL_ commercial D projects TOGETHER!
Why? How? - It made MacOSX developers "feel" D, use it, and develop their
projects in this wanderfull language - same about any other platform GDC
currently works on, which almost about ALL platforms! :)

After all, If I say that I am not interested in such types of projects and
do not look at them on announcements - that is my business, isn't it? I
apologize if I somehow offended You or somebody else.

Dejan Lekic
  http://dejan.lekic.org
Aug 12 2005
next sibling parent J Thomas <jtd514 ameritech.net> writes:
what commercial d projects?

prev sibling parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Dejan Lekic" <leka entropy.tmok.com> wrote in message
news:ddj572$1c9d$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

Fair enough. I'm used to the typical Linuxheads with huge egoes who won't touch anything un-Linux with a ten foot pole, and who don't give anything that isn't open-source any kind of credit. I believe that both open-source and closed-source can be used responsibly, and will not discredit or ignore a piece of software if it uses one or the other. You're right, I do use a lot of open-source programs, but I use a lot of closed-source ones as well, as how the program was developed does not necessarily dictate the quality or utility of the software.
Aug 13 2005
The licenses for DMD were set up so that both open and closed source
developers can use it. Both are welcome, and both are welcome to post
announcements here.
Aug 13 2005
parent reply Dejan Lekic <leka entropy.tmok.com> writes:
Walter, I just wanted to note that I never said closed-source project
announcements are not welcomed - it is not on me to say anyway since I am
not the host. :)

Regards

Dejan Lekic
  http://dejan.lekic.org

Aug 13 2005
"Dejan Lekic" <leka entropy.tmok.com> wrote in message
news:ddldg5$bog$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Walter, I just wanted to note that I never said closed-source project
 announcements are not welcomed - it is not on me to say anyway since I am
 not the host. :)
Hey, no problem. It was a global comment I made, not directed at anyone.
Aug 13 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent "Daniel Kos" <unodgs tlen.pl> writes:
 Just thought... should we anounce (should I say flood) every 0.000000001
 version
Yes, why not? I don't have to visit every site of the project to see the changelog. Besides, here are not 100 new procjets every month announced, the traffic is low. -- uno (unodgs tlen.pl)
Aug 12 2005
prev sibling parent J Thomas <jtd514 ameritech.net> writes:
if its a usefull utility and not just someones hobby project, then WHY NOT?