digitalmars.D - Fun with opPos()

reply Arcane Jill <Arcane_member pathlink.com> writes:
Well, now we have opPos() to complement opNeg(). We can overload the unary plus
operator.

The obvious implementation is:

(or .dup, or similar). But such trivial functions do seem a little pointless.
What /else/ could we do with opPlus()?

This is a non-serious thread, so humorous replies are welcome!
Jill
Jul 29 2004
next sibling parent Juanjo =?ISO-8859-15?Q?=C1lvarez?= <juanjuxNO SPAMyahoo.es> writes:
Arcane Jill wrote:

 Well, now we have opPos() to complement opNeg(). We can overload the unary
 plus operator.

 The obvious implementation is:

 (or .dup, or similar). But such trivial functions do seem a little
 pointless. What /else/ could we do with opPlus()?

 This is a non-serious thread, so humorous replies are welcome!
 Jill
You can use it to put some random obfuscated and lengthy code to impress your boss and made him think you work a lot instead of reading the D newsgroups.
Jul 29 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply pragma <EricAnderton at yahoo dot com> <pragma_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <ceamke$1bfo$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Arcane Jill says...
(or .dup, or similar). But such trivial functions do seem a little pointless.
What /else/ could we do with opPlus()?

This is a non-serious thread, so humorous replies are welcome!
Jill
Actually, this might be the answer Matthew was looking for since we cannot overload the pointer-to operator (*).
 class Boxed(T){
     T value;
     this(T value){ this.value = value; }
     T opPos(){ return(this.value); }
 }
In this way, opPos now returns the underlying value, which could be quite a boon for template programming as this helps objects look more like primitives.
 Boxed!(int) intBox = new Boxed!(int)(42);
 int fortyTwo = 42;
 assert(+intBox == +fortyTwo);
- Pragma
Jul 29 2004
parent h3r3tic <h3r3tic_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <ceavql$1ej2$1 digitaldaemon.com>, pragma <EricAnderton at yahoo dot
com> says...
Actually, this might be the answer Matthew was looking for since we cannot
overload the pointer-to operator (*).

 class Boxed(T){
     T value;
     this(T value){ this.value = value; }
     T opPos(){ return(this.value); }
 }
In this way, opPos now returns the underlying value, which could be quite a boon for template programming as this helps objects look more like primitives.
 Boxed!(int) intBox = new Boxed!(int)(42);
 int fortyTwo = 42;
 assert(+intBox == +fortyTwo);
Let's think: 1. it's barely readable 2. hmmm, ++ for double dereference ? by the way, why can't we overload the * unary operator ?
Jul 29 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Andy Friesen <andy ikagames.com> writes:
Arcane Jill wrote:
 Well, now we have opPos() to complement opNeg(). We can overload the unary plus
 operator.

 The obvious implementation is:

 (or .dup, or similar). But such trivial functions do seem a little pointless.
 What /else/ could we do with opPlus()?

 This is a non-serious thread, so humorous replies are welcome!
T opPos() { return opNeg(); } It also might be useful in situations where one wants to use overloaded operators to create syntax that resembles another language. (like how Boost.Spirit apes BNF to create parsers) -- andy
Jul 29 2004
parent Norbert Nemec <Norbert.Nemec gmx.de> writes:
Andy Friesen wrote:

 Arcane Jill wrote:
 Well, now we have opPos() to complement opNeg(). We can overload the
 unary plus operator.

 The obvious implementation is:

 (or .dup, or similar). But such trivial functions do seem a little
 pointless. What /else/ could we do with opPlus()?

 This is a non-serious thread, so humorous replies are welcome!
T opPos() { return opNeg(); } It also might be useful in situations where one wants to use overloaded operators to create syntax that resembles another language. (like how Boost.Spirit apes BNF to create parsers)
Walter makes it very clear in the specs that he is against that practice. So be prepared for some major obstacles trying to follow that road...
Jul 29 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Regan Heath <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
Sorry for being serious'n'all but aren't opPos and opNeg perfectly useful
if you're implementing something that can be positive or negative?

Like your Int class Jill?

eg.

class SimpleInt {
   int value;
   SimpleInt opPos() { if (value < 0) value = -value; return this; }
   SimpleInt opNeg() { if (value > 0) value = -value; return this; }
}

or am I missing something?

Regan

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:21:50 +0000 (UTC), Arcane Jill