digitalmars.D - Complex.c

reply "Craig Black" <cblack ara.com> writes:
I notice that there was both C and D source in the phobos internal library
code.  Anyone know why?

Another thing ... I looked at complex.h and noticed that the functions were
passing Complex by value.  That is not as efficient as using references for
a data structure with 2 long doubles.  Given that a long double is 80 bits,
and each needs to be aligned appropriately, the Complex data structure is at
least 8 bytes long.  So it seems that passing by reference would be faster,
but maybe I'm missing something.

-Craig
Apr 30 2006
next sibling parent reply "Craig Black" <cblack ara.com> writes:
 and each needs to be aligned appropriately, the Complex data structure is
at
 least 8 bytes long.
Oops, I mean 16 bytes. -Craig
Apr 30 2006
parent reply Tydr Schnubbis <fake address.dude> writes:
Craig Black wrote:
 and each needs to be aligned appropriately, the Complex data structure is
at
 least 8 bytes long.
Oops, I mean 16 bytes.
Well, (80*2)/8 is actually 20. #include <stdio.h> int main() { printf("%d", sizeof(_Complex long double)); } Compiled with dmc this prints 20, with gcc it prints 24. Default options, on win32. So there seems to be varying opinions as to what the best alignment/space compromise is.
Apr 30 2006
parent "Craig Black" <cblack ara.com> writes:
"Tydr Schnubbis" <fake address.dude> wrote in message
news:e33dmb$2u9m$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Craig Black wrote:
 and each needs to be aligned appropriately, the Complex data structure
is
 at
 least 8 bytes long.
Oops, I mean 16 bytes.
Well, (80*2)/8 is actually 20. #include <stdio.h> int main() { printf("%d", sizeof(_Complex long double)); } Compiled with dmc this prints 20, with gcc it prints 24. Default options, on win32. So there seems to be varying opinions as to what the best alignment/space compromise is.
Oh well. I'm not that great with doing math in my head. Thankfully there are calculators. :) -Craig
Apr 30 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Ben Phillips <Ben_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <e33at8$2r49$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Craig Black says...
I notice that there was both C and D source in the phobos internal library
code.  Anyone know why?

Another thing ... I looked at complex.h and noticed that the functions were
passing Complex by value.  That is not as efficient as using references for
a data structure with 2 long doubles.  Given that a long double is 80 bits,
and each needs to be aligned appropriately, the Complex data structure is at
least 8 bytes long.  So it seems that passing by reference would be faster,
but maybe I'm missing something.

-Craig
I believe its because types such as creal and such are primitives and are allocated on the stack.
Apr 30 2006
parent reply "Craig Black" <cblack ara.com> writes:
"Ben Phillips" <Ben_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:e33d7q$2u15$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

It doesn't matter whether you are on the stack or on the heap. If you pass a data structure by value, then you are pushing and popping the entire contents of the data structure onto the stack every time you call the function. I've run benchmarks and it is much better to pass by reference, especially for large data structures. -Craig
Apr 30 2006
parent reply BCS <BCS_member pathlink.com> writes:
Which is better inlined? Maybe it's an optimization issue.

In article <e33eoq$2v4p$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Craig Black says...

[...]
It doesn't matter whether you are on the stack or on the heap.  If you pass
a data structure by value, then you are pushing and popping the entire
contents of the data structure onto the stack every time you call the
function.  I've run benchmarks and it is much better to pass by reference,
especially for large data structures.

-Craig
Apr 30 2006
next sibling parent "Craig Black" <cblack ara.com> writes:
"BCS" <BCS_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:e33jmu$322$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Which is better inlined? Maybe it's an optimization issue.
Inlining is ideal for performance but not always practical, especially if the method is large. -Craig
May 01 2006
prev sibling parent Norbert Nemec <Norbert Nemec-online.de> writes:
For inlining, it should not matter, whether the original function was
pass-by-value or pass-by-reference. The whole calling process is mangled
anyway, so the end result should not differ.

Craig Black wrote:
 I notice that there was both C and D source in the phobos internal library
 code.  Anyone know why?

 Another thing ... I looked at complex.h and noticed that the functions were
 passing Complex by value.  That is not as efficient as using references for
 a data structure with 2 long doubles.  Given that a long double is 80 bits,
 and each needs to be aligned appropriately, the Complex data structure is at
 least 8 bytes long.  So it seems that passing by reference would be faster,
 but maybe I'm missing something.
Call by reference may be faster if the value is already stored in memory or is still needed after the function call. Consider, however: a = myfunction(b + c); Here, the value of b + c is calculated and only used for calling the function. Call-by-value allows the compiler to store the value directly in the place where it is needed by the function, which definitely is faster than having to store it in a local variable and then again having to dereference a pointer to that variable. It really is a trade-off that cannot be decided without looking at given use cases.
May 01 2006