digitalmars.D - Dlang.info website

reply Gerdus van Zyl <gvz infireal.com> writes:
Hi,

I have created a website for the D language at www.dlang.info
I am aiming for it to become the public face of D, with the support of
the community of course.

I think D is lacking a "corporate" presence, especially for people new
to the language.

I am also looking for people who would like to contribute content, I am
using my CMS product so its easy to add pages, etc. see
mxdemo.infireal.com for a demo.

I am not looking to replace existing sites but instead to act as a
portal to the resources that exist, and create content that does not
exist like case studies and newbie FAQ, etc.

Please visit the website (www.dlang.info) and give your feedback, ideas,
etc.

Thank You,
Gerdus van Zyl
www.infireal.com
May 22 2005
next sibling parent Gerdus van Zyl <gvz infireal.com> writes:
forgot to mention, the content currently on the website is just filler.
Some blatently copied from DigitalMars/d, it was just to give an idea of
what the site is going to be about. It will be removed.
May 22 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent bobef <bobef_member pathlink.com> writes:
No offense, but I don't like the design:

- Fonts are small and unreadable.
- Looks kind-a-empty
- Pages arrangement is unreadable - everything merges together
- Logo looks more like lame than corporate, I mean few cheap filters...

so it is not much like a public face. digitalmars.com/d site is ugly I know. I
mean simple and not corporate at all but it is readable so it still looks better
than dlang.info. I say again that I don't want to offend you or something. I say
what I see and tell it to help, if I can. Unfortunately frankly said words are
often misunderstood...

Also a whole site for a single comparison between D and other languages?
I mean, OK, you will put more things but you can't really put many things in
there because there are not many (D)editacted sites, nor applications. And if
you are looking for "corporate" look there are even less such sites. So if you
manage to fill it up with content at best your site will become a corporate
looking portal with links to home made pages...

I think it is good idea to have a "public face" for D, but not at this point,
because D is not exactly "public". And still something like dsource is way more
usable than site with links...

Wish you good luck though...

In article <d6ppuc$1oi1$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Gerdus van Zyl says...
Hi,

I have created a website for the D language at www.dlang.info
I am aiming for it to become the public face of D, with the support of
the community of course.

I think D is lacking a "corporate" presence, especially for people new
to the language.

I am also looking for people who would like to contribute content, I am
using my CMS product so its easy to add pages, etc. see
mxdemo.infireal.com for a demo.

I am not looking to replace existing sites but instead to act as a
portal to the resources that exist, and create content that does not
exist like case studies and newbie FAQ, etc.

Please visit the website (www.dlang.info) and give your feedback, ideas,
etc.

Thank You,
Gerdus van Zyl
www.infireal.com
May 22 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <ben.hinkle gmail.com> writes:
"Gerdus van Zyl" <gvz infireal.com> wrote in message
news:d6ppuc$1oi1$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Hi,

 I have created a website for the D language at www.dlang.info
 I am aiming for it to become the public face of D, with the support of the
 community of course.
How will differ from dsource and/or the main D site?
 I think D is lacking a "corporate" presence, especially for people new to
 the language.
Do you mean D is lacking corporations using D? The "case studies" page is probably going to be pretty blank for a long time - but that's just my guess.
 I am also looking for people who would like to contribute content, I am
 using my CMS product so its easy to add pages, etc. see
 mxdemo.infireal.com for a demo.
The logos/advertising and [14 pages/second] turns me off. I get the feeling you are doing this to advance your own product - but I'm probably just being cynical there.
 I am not looking to replace existing sites but instead to act as a portal
 to the resources that exist, and create content that does not exist like
 case studies and newbie FAQ, etc.

 Please visit the website (www.dlang.info) and give your feedback, ideas,
 etc.

 Thank You,
 Gerdus van Zyl
 www.infireal.com
May 22 2005
parent bobef <bobef_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <d6pt0a$1rkh$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Ben Hinkle says...
The logos/advertising and [14 pages/second] turns me off. I get the feeling
you are doing this to advance your own product - but I'm probably just being
cynical there.
I got the same feeling too. But I feel not happy to kill someone's willingness for something...
May 22 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Gerdus van Zyl <gvz infireal.com> writes:
OK, so there is no need for this. I will remove the website.
May 22 2005
parent "Ben Hinkle" <ben.hinkle gmail.com> writes:
"Gerdus van Zyl" <gvz infireal.com> wrote in message
news:d6qa3u$24tb$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 OK, so there is no need for this. I will remove the website.
oh - sorry if you took offense at my statement about self-advertising. I didn't intend to flame - it was just my impression (and I did say I was probably being cynical). Anyhow, I hope you won't stop contributing to D.
May 22 2005

I have created a website for the D language at www.dlang.info
I am aiming for it to become the public face of D, with the support of
the community of course.
Its awesome to see that people out there care about the image of D!
I think D is lacking a "corporate" presence, especially for people new
to the language.
Nobody questions that, but whether it needs that is still in debate.
I am also looking for people who would like to contribute content, I am
using my CMS product so its easy to add pages, etc. see
mxdemo.infireal.com for a demo.
Awesome! Web sites with content managment systems > websites without. BUT, as a web development consultant who has built a system like that, and sells it to clients, my opinion is that a web site backend is like makeup, if you can't tell it's there, and everything just looks great, than you have suceeded. Posting a link to the company that sells it might be a little over the top, especially for some of the more open-source kind of folks that use D, which is why you are getting flamed for "pushing" a product. Also, I would love to contribute a case study when my app is done, as would hundreds of others, but that might take years...
I am not looking to replace existing sites but instead to act as a
portal to the resources that exist, and create content that does not
exist like case studies and newbie FAQ, etc.
Its good that you are trying to help the entire comunity not just drive traffic to a dead end site, but copying the exact HTML instead of linking to the comparison that someone carefully created and posted on digitalmars.com is sort of something you should ask for. Maybe you did, I just don't know... :)
Please visit the website (www.dlang.info) and give your feedback, ideas,
etc.

Thank You,
Gerdus van Zyl
www.infireal.com
In conclusion, I would like to offer my services as a graphic designer and web developer, for free, doing anything needed, using any system Digital Mars wishes to use, or they can have a free copy of my own, which is delightfully invisible, to help make the D site better looking, more accessable, and easier to work on, thus keeping it more up to date. I believe in the concept of D, understand where Gerdus is coming from, but think maybe his efforts are slightly ill placed. Gerdus, I know it doesn't sound like I am sticking up for you, but I truly know what it's like to get excited, make a site, and people not like it. So please accept my apprication for you intent and efforts. People like you help projects like this, and you can help in productive ways if you stick with it. Let me know Walter... Thanks, Trevor Parscal www.trevorparscal.com trevorparscal hotmail.com
May 22 2005
prev sibling parent Gerdus van Zyl <gvz infireal.com> writes:
Ok, I removed the website.

If someone in the D community or the offical DigitalMars D site needs
help, give me a shout. Web design or CMS.

No hard feelings :-)
May 23 2005