digitalmars.D - Unofficial wish list status.

reply 12tkvvb02 sneakemail.com writes:
Hi

This is the monthly status for the unofficial d wish list:
http://all-technology.com/eigenpolls/dwishlist/

Right now the wish list looks like this:

0.565  5  Auto new-ing of classes
0.528  6  unit test after compilation
0.507  6  array initialization/literals
0.501  6  Reflection API
0.487  3  Compiler values
0.407  4  vectorization
0.396  4  black box unit testing
0.394  4  Unit test isolation
0.375  4  unit test & code separation
0.33  3  Array masking
0.315  4  unit test coverage
0.263  4  Unit test measurements
0.202  2  Posix threads support native
0.187  2  Javadoc documentation
0.187  3  Faster GC
Mar 24 2005
parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <ben.hinkle gmail.com> writes:
<12tkvvb02 sneakemail.com> wrote in message
news:d1uve0$2ca$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Hi

 This is the monthly status for the unofficial d wish list:
 http://all-technology.com/eigenpolls/dwishlist/

 Right now the wish list looks like this:

 0.565  5  Auto new-ing of classes
wow - I'm surprised this is popular (though I don't know how many people have voted or how often). For those who didn't follow the link, here's the description of auto new'ing: Foo A; is shorthand for Foo A = new Foo and Foo A = !new would be the way of initializing to null. I'd be very surprised if Walter changes the language to do that. The current system is much better.
Mar 24 2005

I submitted this one. There is further discussion at ... http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?FeatureRequestList/AutoNewingOfClasses -- Derek Parnell Melbourne, Australia 25/03/2005 10:17:37 AM
Mar 24 2005
parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <ben.hinkle gmail.com> writes:
"Derek Parnell" <derek psych.ward> wrote in message
news:1hyzck675ctcf$.14kdoa1p26fdc$.dlg 40tude.net...
 <12tkvvb02 sneakemail.com> wrote in message
 news:d1uve0$2ca$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Hi

 This is the monthly status for the unofficial d wish list:
 http://all-technology.com/eigenpolls/dwishlist/

 Right now the wish list looks like this:

 0.565  5  Auto new-ing of classes
I'd be very surprised if Walter changes the language to do that. The current system is much better.
I submitted this one. There is further discussion at ... http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?FeatureRequestList/AutoNewingOfClasses
The =null makes more sense than the =!new. How did it turn into !new on the eigenpoll? oh well. But even with =null I would be surprised if Walter goes for it. The proposal doesn't feel right to me for two reasons: 1) an expensive operation like "new" shouldn't be implicit, and 2) it would mean the code Foo a; a = ...; is different than Foo a = ...; Even though C++ distinguishes between initialization and assignment I don't D should go down that road.
Mar 24 2005
next sibling parent reply =?iso-8859-1?q?Knud_S=F8rensen?= <12tkvvb02 sneakemail.com> writes:

 The =null makes more sense than the =!new.
 How did it turn into !new on the eigenpoll? oh well.
Apparently someone posted it with !new. The question is how long it will take for someone to post a new suggestion with null. But I can see why it is popular. When coming from C++ it seems strange that you should write the class name twice to get an element. C++: MyClassName aElement(...); D: MyClassName aElement= new MyClassName(...); That is almost twice as much typing to do the same thing, and that is every time you need an element of a class. To go easy on exiting code the compiler could be updated in stages. 1) Warn for implicit null code like MyClassName nullElement; 2) Disallow implicit null and enforce MyClassName nullElement = null; This will force all existing code to be updated. 3) After a while change MyClassName aElement; to implicit mean MyClassName aElement = new MyClassName;
 But even with =null I would be surprised if Walter goes
 for it. The proposal doesn't feel right to me for two reasons: 1) an
 expensive operation like "new" shouldn't be implicit,
Not even if you need it anyway 99.99% of the time ?
 and 2) it would mean
 the code
 Foo a;
 a = ...;
 is different than
 Foo a = ...;
 Even though C++ distinguishes between initialization and assignment I don't
 D should go down that road.
Mar 25 2005
next sibling parent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Knud Sørensen wrote:

 But I can see why it is popular.

 When coming from C++ it seems strange
 that you should write the class name twice to get an element.
 C++: MyClassName aElement(...);
 D:   MyClassName aElement= new MyClassName(...);
This is because D (just like Java) has eliminated both special syntax for pointers/references and stack objects ? C++: MyClassName *aElement; // some fun random value D: MyClassName aElement; // always null Both: aElement = new MyClassName(...); I can see how it get's a bit tricky at first, though... (when coming from C++ and used to non-reference classes)
 3) After a while change
 MyClassName aElement;
 to implicit mean
 MyClassName aElement = new MyClassName;

But even with =null I would be surprised if Walter goes
for it. The proposal doesn't feel right to me for two reasons: 1) an
expensive operation like "new" shouldn't be implicit,
Simple objects like ints and structs are different from references and pointers, as well ? But since the default (.init) values seems messed up anyway, like with characters and floating point values, I do *fear* that one has to initialize everything explicitly... Who knows, maybe this will change in a future D version ? (then all now-null references will allocate Objects instead, and the current code will start behaving somewhat differently...) But I hope not. (being used to Java) --anders
Mar 25 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 11:55:41 +0100, Knud Sørensen
 that you should write the class name twice to get an element.
 C++: MyClassName aElement(...);
 D:   MyClassName aElement= new MyClassName(...);

 That is almost twice as much typing to do the same thing,
 and that is every time you need an element of a class.
If anything, I would like this idea better.. MyClassName a; //a is null MyClassName a(); //same as MyClassName a = new MyClassName(); MyClassName a(1,2); //same as MyClassName a = new MyClassName(1,2); MyClassName a = new MyClassName(1,2,3); //obvious :) Though, and here's the kicker, the a() example looks like a class created on the stack, right? as in C++, and it's not. Regan
Mar 25 2005
next sibling parent "Lionello Lunesu" <lio lunesu.removethis.com> writes:
DAMN! I just refreshed before posting my response, and refreshed after
posting and read this! Great idea!

Lionello.

"Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> wrote in message
news:opsn62vgol23k2f5 nrage.netwin.co.nz...
 On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 11:55:41 +0100, Knud Sørensen
 that you should write the class name twice to get an element.
 C++: MyClassName aElement(...);
 D:   MyClassName aElement= new MyClassName(...);

 That is almost twice as much typing to do the same thing,
 and that is every time you need an element of a class.
If anything, I would like this idea better.. MyClassName a; //a is null MyClassName a(); //same as MyClassName a = new MyClassName(); MyClassName a(1,2); //same as MyClassName a = new MyClassName(1,2); MyClassName a = new MyClassName(1,2,3); //obvious :) Though, and here's the kicker, the a() example looks like a class created on the stack, right? as in C++, and it's not. Regan
Mar 25 2005
prev sibling parent =?iso-8859-1?q?Knud_S=F8rensen?= <12tkvvb02 sneakemail.com> writes:
I like this idea!
I have added it as "short syntax for new" to the wish list at:

http://all-technology.com/eigenpolls/dwishlist/

 MyClassName a;       //a is null
 MyClassName a();     //same as MyClassName a = new MyClassName();
 MyClassName a(1,2);  //same as MyClassName a = new MyClassName(1,2);
 MyClassName a = new MyClassName(1,2,3);  //obvious :)

 Though, and here's the kicker, the a() example looks like a class created
 on the stack, right? as in C++, and it's not.

 Regan
Mar 25 2005
prev sibling parent "John C" <johnch_atms hotmail.com> writes:
"Knud Sørensen" <12tkvvb02 sneakemail.com> wrote in message
news:pan.2005.03.25.10.55.40.584375 sneakemail.com...
 The =null makes more sense than the =!new.
 How did it turn into !new on the eigenpoll? oh well.
Apparently someone posted it with !new. The question is how long it will take for someone to post a new suggestion with null. But I can see why it is popular. When coming from C++ it seems strange that you should write the class name twice to get an element. C++: MyClassName aElement(...); D: MyClassName aElement= new MyClassName(...);
This argument doesn't hold: you can't say it's to make things simpler for C++ programmers and then give them completely different behaviour. In C++, that syntax creates an object on the stack; in the proposal for D, it still creates an object on the heap. From what I've seen of this proposal and the follow-up threads, it's actually complicating matters and would require a lot of special-casing.
[...]

prev sibling next sibling parent "Lionello Lunesu" <lio lunesu.removethis.com> writes:
Hey,

Just a short remark...

In my toolkit I use some 'smart pointer' classes (kind-of like CComPtr in
ATL) and one of the nice things is a constructor that can new the object:

// c++ pseudo code from the top of my head
enum _newnow { NEWNOW=1; }
template <class T>
class SmartPtr
{
  T* ptr;
  SmartPtr() : ptr(NULL) {}
  SmartPtr(_newnow) { ptr = new T; }
// more stuff, a.o. dereference operator etc..
};

//Use it as follows:
SmartPtr<SomeClass> sca;        // will be NULL
SmartPtr<SomeClass> scb(NEWNOW);
sc->Bla();

This syntax seems doable? Could be like this:

// D now
class Whatever { ... };

Whatever wa;        // will be NULL;
Whatever wa();        // new, default constructor
Whatever wa(...);    // new, constructor with arguments

Won't break any code, since "Whatever wa();" is illegal? Would be very nice
if "auto Whatever wa();" would behave as if the object was made on the stack
in C++. Maybe the compiler can even choose to do it on the stack, when it
gets smarter!

Lionello.
Mar 25 2005
prev sibling parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
 "Derek Parnell" <derek psych.ward> wrote in message
 news:1hyzck675ctcf$.14kdoa1p26fdc$.dlg 40tude.net...
 <12tkvvb02 sneakemail.com> wrote in message
 news:d1uve0$2ca$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Hi

 This is the monthly status for the unofficial d wish list:
 http://all-technology.com/eigenpolls/dwishlist/

 Right now the wish list looks like this:

 0.565  5  Auto new-ing of classes
I'd be very surprised if Walter changes the language to do that. The current system is much better.
I submitted this one. There is further discussion at ... http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?FeatureRequestList/AutoNewingOfClasses
The =null makes more sense than the =!new. How did it turn into !new on the eigenpoll? oh well.
It was the other way round, actually. I first put it into the poll with the "=!new" and later it was pointed out to me that this was not clever. I agree and when I wrote it up in the wiki I changed it to the "=null" syntax. I think my original idea has taken off into directions I didn't intend it to go, but that's normal I guess. My original feeling was just to switch the default behaviour such that the more common usage would be reflected in simpler syntax. We currently do ... struct Sct { . . .} class CLS { . . .} int a; int[] b; Sct c; Cls d = new Cls; to make each of the variables usable, and I see that the requirement to use 'new' is an anomaly. So all I was suggesting was that seeing the form "CLASS a = new CLASS;" is such a common idiom, that a simpler syntax would be appreciated. It has nothing to do with C++ or Java behaviour as I don't use those languages, and really couldn't care less what they do or don't do. I'm trying to make D more coder/reader friendly. I first fell foul of this requirement when I had struct being used in me application, and later I changed it to a class; then all of a suddenly I had Access Violations all over the place :-( I still forget to add the "= new <whatever>;" occasionally and trip up during testing.
But even with =null I would be surprised if Walter goes
 for it.
Me too, but not for the reasons you speak of. I guess it means work for him to change things and he is already too busy. ;-)
 The proposal doesn't feel right to me for two reasons: 1) an
 expensive operation like "new" shouldn't be implicit,
real[50000] x; Is also implicit (the is no 'new' involved) but every one knows what's going on. The idiom 'CLASS x = new CLASS;' is very common. So why not make coding easier to write and read.
 and 2) it would mean
 the code
 Foo a;
 a = ...;
 is different than
 Foo a = ...;

 Even though C++ distinguishes between initialization and assignment I don't
 D should go down that road.
How is that different from ... char[] S; // Initialize the array S = . . .; // Assign the array. If one knows the rule that 'Foo a;' invokes the default constructor, and one doesn't want that, then code it as 'Foo a=null;'. I still suspect that this is a minority of cases. Even though I concede that we are never likely to see Walter change this, I can still voice an opinion, no? -- Derek Parnell Melbourne, Australia 26/03/2005 4:48:08 PM
Mar 25 2005
next sibling parent "Ben Hinkle" <ben.hinkle gmail.com> writes:
 The =null makes more sense than the =!new. How did it turn into !new on
 the
 eigenpoll? oh well.
It was the other way round, actually. I first put it into the poll with the "=!new" and later it was pointed out to me that this was not clever. I agree and when I wrote it up in the wiki I changed it to the "=null" syntax.
oh, ok.
 I think my original idea has taken off into directions I didn't intend it
 to go, but that's normal I guess. My original feeling was just to switch
 the default behaviour such that the more common usage would be reflected
 in
 simpler syntax.

 We currently do ...
  struct Sct { . . .}
  class CLS {  . . .}
  int   a;
  int[] b;
  Sct   c;
  Cls   d = new Cls;

 to make each of the variables usable, and I see that the requirement to
 use
 'new' is an anomaly. So all I was suggesting was that seeing the form
 "CLASS a = new CLASS;" is such a common idiom, that a simpler syntax would
 be appreciated.
The anomaly is that classes must be new'ed since they aways have reference semantics while the other types have value semantics so to get reference semantics you have to new them. So having the new for Cls makes it consistent with newing the other types.
 It has nothing to do with C++ or Java behaviour as I don't use those
 languages, and really couldn't care less what they do or don't do. I'm
 trying to make D more coder/reader friendly.
a good goal
 I first fell foul of this requirement when I had struct being used in me
 application, and later I changed it to a class; then all of a suddenly I
 had Access Violations all over the place :-(
That's a good thing that it crashed since reference semantics is vastly different than value semantics and implicitly newing them would have introduced bugs that would probably be harder to track down than a crash.
 I still forget to add the "= new <whatever>;" occasionally and trip up
 during testing.
ok
 The proposal doesn't feel right to me for two reasons: 1) an
 expensive operation like "new" shouldn't be implicit,
real[50000] x; Is also implicit (the is no 'new' involved) but every one knows what's going on.
True but initialization it consistent across all types.
 The idiom 'CLASS x = new CLASS;' is very common. So why not make coding
 easier to write and read.
True it is common.
 and 2) it would mean
 the code
 Foo a;
 a = ...;
 is different than
 Foo a = ...;

 Even though C++ distinguishes between initialization and assignment I
 don't
 D should go down that road.
How is that different from ... char[] S; // Initialize the array S = . . .; // Assign the array.
I don't see the connection with dynamic arrays. Declaring a dynamic array does not allocate any memory for it.
 Even though I concede that we are never likely to see Walter change this,
 can still voice an opinion, no?
absolutely. I don't mean to sound harsh. I was just voicing my concerns about a proposal that I saw at the top of the eigenpoll. I'm now wondering just how this eigenpoll works since every post looks like a random bunch of data.
Mar 26 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent "Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
[...]

I think perhaps if you look at it from a different view/perspective... For example: Cls d; Allocates a "reference" on the "stack". int[] b; Allocates a "reference" on the "stack". Cls d = new Cls(); Allocates a "reference" on the "stack" then allocates a "Cls" on the "heap". int[] b = new int[100]; Allocates a "reference" on the "stack" then allocates a block of memory on the "heap". 'int' and structs are the same as references, they are allocated on the "stack". So, "new" indicates "heap" allocation. Values assigned to references generally(always?) involve "heap" memory i.e. array contents, and classes.
 So all I was suggesting was that seeing the form
 "CLASS a = new CLASS;" is such a common idiom, that a simpler syntax
 would
 be appreciated.
This I can agree with, at least a little, I think perhaps: Cls d(); Cls e(1,2,3); could be shorthand for: Cls d = new Cls(); Cls e = new Cls(1,2,3); but, it does make it harder to search for heap allocations (no 'new' to look for) and it does make it less obvious they are going on. So I can understand reservation about adding this sort of shorthand.
 It has nothing to do with C++ or Java behaviour as I don't use those
 languages, and really couldn't care less what they do or don't do. I'm
 trying to make D more coder/reader friendly.
An admirable goal.
 I first fell foul of this requirement when I had struct being used in me
 application, and later I changed it to a class; then all of a suddenly I
 had Access Violations all over the place :-(
Yeah.. I've been bitten by the difference between struct and class, tho my experience was WRT to in/out/inout variables. I think the difference is a good this, why have two shovels when I can have a shovel and a fork. Different tools for different tasks, remember how to use your tools.
 The proposal doesn't feel right to me for two reasons: 1) an
 expensive operation like "new" shouldn't be implicit,
real[50000] x; Is also implicit (the is no 'new' involved) but every one knows what's going on.
This is a static array.. there is no requirement that the memory be allocated on the "heap" (IIRC and I may not) so it could be "stack" memory, and/or static ROM (in the case of a static array). If the memory is on the heap then you can say, "x" is a reference on the "stack" referencing "heap" memory of size "50000".
 and 2) it would mean
 the code
 Foo a;
 a = ...;
 is different than
 Foo a = ...;

 Even though C++ distinguishes between initialization and assignment I
 don't
 D should go down that road.
How is that different from ... char[] S; // Initialize the array S = . . .; // Assign the array.
It's not. "char[] S;" - allocates a "reference" on the "stack". "S = " - assigns something to that reference. (generally "heap" memory")
 If one knows the rule that 'Foo a;' invokes the default constructor, and
 one doesn't want that, then code it as 'Foo a=null;'. I still suspect
 that
 this is a minority of cases.
I can't say whether wanting "null" or wanting "not null" is more common, I suspect it's a matter of style.
 Even though I concede that we are never likely to see Walter change
 this, I
 can still voice an opinion, no?
Yep. Keep em coming. Regan
Mar 26 2005
prev sibling parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Derek Parnell wrote:

 It has nothing to do with C++ or Java behaviour as I don't use those
 languages, and really couldn't care less what they do or don't do. I'm
 trying to make D more coder/reader friendly.
Java has the same behaviour as D, in that Object variables are just references and different from primitive types (they are also similar) People have been tripping up on "NullPointerException" (i.e. the Java equivalent of the Access Violation error that D has) for a long time... There are extensions to Java that eliminates both NullPointerException and ClassCastException, such as the "Nice" programming language... (note that the ClassCastException in D becomes a "NullPointerException" instead, since a cast() that can't be done simply returns null instead) http://nice.sourceforge.net/safety.html:
 In current imperative languages, references (or pointers) can hold a
 special value meaning "reference to nothing". This value is called null
 in Java, NULL in C and C++. At run time, however, dereferencing this
 value results to a runtime error (NullPointerException) or a run time
 crash (bus error, segmentation fault, protection fault, ...).
I'm not sure I like their "solution" to it, but they do offer one... (it's detailed on the page that is reference by the hyperlink above) Another one is at: http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?NullConsideredHarmful (there's a lot of good stuff at that page, and the ones it links to) So what C++ and Java does *can* be relevant to the discussion, not just for compatibility, but to see how they address the very same problem ? In the Java case, it doesn't have either pointers nor structures, which makes it easier to avoid mixing value types and reference types up... The plot in D thickens, if you e.g. compare the difference between null objects and null arrays, for instance if you try to print one Object and one char[] which both have a value of "null". Very different results... (similar to trying to use '==' to compare objects vs. comparing strings) --anders
Mar 26 2005
parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
 It has nothing to do with C++ or Java behaviour as I don't use those
 languages, and really couldn't care less what they do or don't do. I'm
 trying to make D more coder/reader friendly.
Java has the same behaviour as D, in that Object variables are just references and different from primitive types (they are also similar)
[snip]
 So what C++ and Java does *can* be relevant to the discussion, not just
 for compatibility, but to see how they address the very same problem ?
[snip] To me, it doesn't matter what <YourFavouriteProgrammingLangauge> does, and yes it is interesting to see how other languages deal with that problem. But the problem I'm having is explain what I see that problem is ;-) Here's another stab at it ... A common idiom (invoking the default constructor) has significantly more keystrokes than the less common idiom (initializing the class reference to null). Why can we change that situation, such that the common idiom uses less keystrokes but still remains readable? The issue I'm highlighting is not about reference types vs heap types, C++ vs Java, initialization vs assignment, etc... It has to do with making program source code easier to write and easier to read. I am not dogmatically saying *my* suggestion *must* be implemented. My suggestion is just a starting point for other, probably better, ideas. Anyhow, I give up. You guys have beaten me into silence on this issue. -- Derek Parnell Melbourne, Australia 27/03/2005 10:20:10 AM
Mar 26 2005
next sibling parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <ben.hinkle gmail.com> writes:
 Anyhow, I give up. You guys have beaten me into silence on this issue.
geez, now you're making me feel bad for saying anything negative about your proposal. :P oh well. I'm sorry you feel that way. I feel like we all have understood each other's point of view and disagree on the conclusions - which happens all the time in situations where the conclusions are subjective. I'm probalby reading too much into that closing, but I hope you don't feel beaten up.
Mar 26 2005
parent "Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 20:05:58 -0500, Ben Hinkle <ben.hinkle gmail.com>
 Anyhow, I give up. You guys have beaten me into silence on this issue.
geez, now you're making me feel bad for saying anything negative about your proposal. :P oh well. I'm sorry you feel that way. I feel like we all have understood each other's point of view and disagree on the conclusions - which happens all the time in situations where the conclusions are subjective. I'm probalby reading too much into that closing, but I hope you don't feel beaten up.
with(ben) /me :) Regan
Mar 27 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply =?iso-8859-1?q?Knud_S=F8rensen?= <12tkvvb02 sneakemail.com> writes:
 Anyhow, I give up. You guys have beaten me into silence on this issue.
That why I made the wish list. When someone make a suggestion only people how disagree reply on it. But your suggestion is still doing well on the wish list, and the similar "short syntax for new" is coming along fine. Knud
Mar 26 2005
parent Georg Wrede <georg.wrede nospam.org> writes:
Knud Sørensen wrote:
Anyhow, I give up. You guys have beaten me into silence on this issue.
That why I made the wish list. When someone make a suggestion only people how disagree reply on it. But your suggestion is still doing well on the wish list, and the similar "short syntax for new" is coming along fine.
Early C chose to "abbreviate" some common things, to "save ink". They've regretted some of them ever since. (Sorry for not giving exact reference here.)
Mar 29 2005
Derek Parnell wrote:

 A common idiom (invoking the default constructor) has significantly more
 keystrokes than the less common idiom (initializing the class reference to
 null). Why can we change that situation, such that the common idiom uses
 less keystrokes but still remains readable?
The problem you highlight is a very real one, and has come up for people that begin programming in (again, just "for instance") Java a long time. D has improved the situation regarding arrays, so that those don't crash when trying to get the length of a null array (a good help for strings) But it still does for uninitialized objects, like when you try to writef one or even when you just try to check if it's equal ('==') and so on... Improving that is a worthy goal.
 The issue I'm highlighting is not about reference types vs heap types, C++
 vs Java, initialization vs assignment, etc... It has to do with making
 program source code easier to write and easier to read. I am not
 dogmatically saying *my* suggestion *must* be implemented. My suggestion is
 just a starting point for other, probably better, ideas.

 Anyhow, I give up. You guys have beaten me into silence on this issue.
That's not good, I just didn't think your solution was the 1 cure... (as in: I would just find it confusing, being used to the "old way") Not that there isn't a real problem of the code throwing NullError (or worse, like causing segfaults left and right) Because there is! We can take it to the wiki (FeatureRequestList/AutoNewingOfClasses), but at first a glance it seems to be more about missing the (C++) stack class declaration syntax, only to sometimes still return null ? (like if the class is question didn't have any zero-arg constructor) And there are more interesting ways to "solve" this than by syntactical sugar, for instance by changing null into nil or by having full objects. (nil is a "bottom type", pretty much the same as a Java "NullObject" - and a "full" or "mandatory" object is one that simply can't be null...) http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WhatIsNull
 What is NULL? Baby, don't hurt me... -- Dr. Haddaway
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?NullObject http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?NullConsideredHarmful All of these would break a lot of existing code, but are IMHO still interesting topics for a discussion. (Sorry that you disagree there.) I feel it's very much related to both .init values and hash tables, too. Whether it is for D 1.0, 2.0 or D 3 Standard Edition version 7, I dunno? --anders
Mar 27 2005
parent "Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 10:43:26 +0200, Anders F Björklund <afb algonet.se>
 A common idiom (invoking the default constructor) has significantly more
 keystrokes than the less common idiom (initializing the class reference
 null). Why can we change that situation, such that the common idiom uses
 less keystrokes but still remains readable?
The problem you highlight is a very real one, and has come up for people that begin programming in (again, just "for instance") Java a long time. D has improved the situation regarding arrays, so that those don't crash when trying to get the length of a null array (a good help for strings)
This is because an array is a "reference", "length" is a property of that "reference", and the "reference" itself is not null, just the data it refers to. In other words the reference itself is a value type. A class reference is only different in that it doesn't have a property other than the data it refers to i.e. it has no "length" property. If it had a property like "length" you could probably use that property even if/when the data it referred to was null. I suspect you (Anders) already realise all this, but, I felt the need to share. Regan
Mar 27 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply David Medlock <nospam nospam.com> writes:
Ben Hinkle wrote:
 <12tkvvb02 sneakemail.com> wrote in message
 news:d1uve0$2ca$1 digitaldaemon.com...

Hi

This is the monthly status for the unofficial d wish list:
http://all-technology.com/eigenpolls/dwishlist/

Right now the wish list looks like this:

0.565  5  Auto new-ing of classes
wow - I'm surprised this is popular (though I don't know how many people have voted or how often). For those who didn't follow the link, here's the description of auto new'ing: Foo A; is shorthand for Foo A = new Foo and Foo A = !new would be the way of initializing to null. I'd be very surprised if Walter changes the language to do that. The current system is much better.
Syntaxes are like opinions, everyone has them, they usually only like their own. How about: auto Foo A; Cleaner and doesnt break much(if any) code. -David
Mar 24 2005
parent "Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:48:06 -0500, David Medlock <nospam nospam.com>
 <12tkvvb02 sneakemail.com> wrote in message
 news:d1uve0$2ca$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 Hi

 This is the monthly status for the unofficial d wish list:
 http://all-technology.com/eigenpolls/dwishlist/

 Right now the wish list looks like this:

 0.565  5  Auto new-ing of classes
wow - I'm surprised this is popular (though I don't know how many people have voted or how often). For those who didn't follow the link, here's the description of auto new'ing: Foo A; is shorthand for Foo A = new Foo and Foo A = !new would be the way of initializing to null. I'd be very surprised if Walter changes the language to do that. The current system is much better.
Syntaxes are like opinions, everyone has them, they usually only like their own. How about: auto Foo A; Cleaner and doesnt break much(if any) code. -David
"auto" already has a meaning. http://www.digitalmars.com/d/attribute.html#auto Regan
Mar 25 2005
prev sibling parent renox <renosky free.fr> writes:
Ben Hinkle wrote:
0.565  5  Auto new-ing of classes
wow - I'm surprised this is popular (though I don't know how many people have voted or how often). For those who didn't follow the link, here's the description of auto new'ing: Foo A; is shorthand for Foo A = new Foo and Foo A = !new would be the way of initializing to null. I'd be very surprised if Walter changes the language to do that. The current system is much better.
I agree, it's ugly especially since there is now type inference, instead of writing Foo A = new Foo; I think that you can just write auto A = new Foo; No need to repeat Foo so I see no need of this feature. Or am I mistaken? Regards, RenoX
Jun 02 2006