digitalmars.D - [OT: posting conventions]

reply "Matthew" <admin stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> writes:
I remember we had a concerted debate a year or so ago about posting
etiquette. I think the consensus was (sensibly) that we don't need, in
this friendly place, prescriptions, proscriptions and all manner of
pedantic strictures to suppress our creativity. There is just one thing
I'd like to raise, however.

In order to manage the increasing volume of posts on this and other
groups, I tend to hide read messages. As such, when posts come
containing answer only, it's a right royal pain to find to what the hell
they're replying. Unless I'm feeling particularly philanthropic, I just
junk them.

So, I'd ask that the one or two people that have been doing this keep at
least a rism of the previous post. I can't believe I'm the only one who
has this same reaction, so you're probably doing yourself at least as
big a favour as you're doing me/us.

Cheers

--
Matthew Wilson

Author: "Imperfect C++", Addison-Wesley, 2004
    (http://www.imperfectcplusplus.com)
Contributing editor, C/C++ Users Journal
    (http://www.synesis.com.au/articles.html#columns)
Director, Synesis Software
    (www.synesis.com.au)
STLSoft moderator
    (http://www.stlsoft.org)

Synesis Software Pty Ltd
P.O.Box 125
Waverley
New South Wales, 2024
Australia

next sibling parent reply Vathix <vathix dprogramming.com> writes:
I agree.  lol
Mar 07 2005
parent Kris <Kris_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <opsnapq5jmkcck4r esi>, Vathix says...
I agree.  lol
ROFL!
Mar 07 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply xs0 <xs0 xs0.com> writes:
 In order to manage the increasing volume of posts on this and other
 groups, I tend to hide read messages. As such, when posts come
 containing answer only, it's a right royal pain to find to what the hell
 they're replying. Unless I'm feeling particularly philanthropic, I just
 junk them.
By the timing I guess that was addressed to me :) Sorry, I do usually include a quote.. OTOH, it is also annoying to have to scroll like 250 lines of quotes to see a line of reply, so that might be something to watch for as well.. xs0
Mar 07 2005
parent "Matthew" <admin stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> writes:
"xs0" <xs0 xs0.com> wrote in message
news:d0j0k8$thu$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 In order to manage the increasing volume of posts on this and other
 groups, I tend to hide read messages. As such, when posts come
 containing answer only, it's a right royal pain to find to what the
 hell
 they're replying. Unless I'm feeling particularly philanthropic, I
 just
 junk them.
By the timing I guess that was addressed to me :) Sorry, I do usually include a quote..
Could've been. I honestly don't know, and it wasn't meant as a personal go at anyone. Just a tip for increasing one's readership ... ;)
 OTOH, it is also annoying to have to scroll like 250 lines of quotes
 to see a line of reply, so that might be something to watch for as
 well..
Indeed. Something I am guilty of, along with many others. ;$
Mar 07 2005
prev sibling parent reply "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Matthew" <admin stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> wrote in message
news:d0ivh5$s78$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 In order to manage the increasing volume of posts on this and other
 groups, I tend to hide read messages. As such, when posts come
 containing answer only, it's a right royal pain to find to what the hell
 they're replying. Unless I'm feeling particularly philanthropic, I just
 junk them.

 So, I'd ask that the one or two people that have been doing this keep at
 least a rism of the previous post. I can't believe I'm the only one who
 has this same reaction, so you're probably doing yourself at least as
 big a favour as you're doing me/us.
On the other hand, when the posts eventually wind up in the 'archives' pages, long quotes tend to be annoying. So I was going to suggest less quoting <g>. What newsreader are you using? Me, I use Outlook Express, which bolds unread messages. Makes it easy.
Mar 07 2005
parent reply "Matthew" <admin stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> writes:
"Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:d0j77h$158t$2 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

Yes, less. Agreed. Just not nothing.
 What newsreader are you using? Me, I use Outlook Express, which bolds
 unread
 messages. Makes it easy.
Yes, I am using the same execrable filth. I've been planning to upgrade to something decent for years, but there's thing pesky thing called time ...
Mar 07 2005
next sibling parent reply zwang <nehzgnaw gmail.com> writes:
Matthew wrote:
[...]

I recommend you to try Thunderbird. It takes a few minutes to set things up.
Mar 07 2005
parent reply "Nick Sabalausky" <z a.a> writes:
What newsreader are you using? Me, I use Outlook Express, which bolds
unread
messages. Makes it easy.
Yes, I am using the same execrable filth. I've been planning to upgrade to something decent for years, but there's thing pesky thing called time ...
I recommend you to try Thunderbird. It takes a few minutes to set things up.
I tried Thunderbird a little while ago, and I liked the "underlining partially read threads" and I like the way it handles quotes, but there were some annoyances that drove me back to Outlook Express after a couple weeks: - There's no (apperent) way to make it stop turning *word* into bold, /word/ into italic, and _word_ into underline. I like my plain text to be plain text, thank you. - The left pane insists on abbreviating "digitalmars.D" to "d.D", and "digitalmars.D.bugs" to "d.D.bugs", etc. Even when there's plenty of room for the full name. - Almost every time I open a newsgroup, it chooses a random thread to "expand all". - I don't like Mark As Read and Mark Thread as Read being in a sub-menu of the right-click menu. - My email server redirects to a different name, so when I tried to send mail encrypted, Thunderbird kept pestering me about it and didn't allow any "always ok for that domain" option. - Email Message Filters seem to be extremely broken.
Mar 09 2005
next sibling parent "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Nick Sabalausky" <z a.a> wrote in message
news:d0n26i$2das$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I tried Thunderbird a little while ago, and I liked the "underlining
 partially read threads" and I like the way it handles quotes, but there
were
 some annoyances that drove me back to Outlook Express after a couple
weeks: I have a couple complaints with OE's newsreader, mainly it gets the unread messages count maddeningly wrong, but overall it's fine. It's infinitely more useful than web forum software like what slashdot uses.
Mar 09 2005
prev sibling parent zwang <nehzgnaw gmail.com> writes:
Nick Sabalausky wrote:
 I tried Thunderbird a little while ago, and I liked the "underlining
 partially read threads" and I like the way it handles quotes, but there were
 some annoyances that drove me back to Outlook Express after a couple weeks:

 - There's no (apperent) way to make it stop turning *word* into bold, /word/
 into italic, and _word_ into underline. I like my plain text to be plain
 text, thank you.
One simple solution is to install the "Quote Colors" extension. You might also tweak the pref.js directly.
 - The left pane insists on abbreviating "digitalmars.D" to "d.D", and
 "digitalmars.D.bugs" to "d.D.bugs", etc. Even when there's plenty of room
 for the full name.
True. However, I like this feature.
 - Almost every time I open a newsgroup, it chooses a random thread to
 "expand all".
It never occurred to me. Weird.
 - I don't like Mark As Read and Mark Thread as Read being in a sub-menu of
 the right-click menu.
"M" and "R" are the keyboard shortcuts for these two tasks respectively.
 - My email server redirects to a different name, so when I tried to send
 mail encrypted, Thunderbird kept pestering me about it and didn't allow any
 "always ok for that domain" option.
I can understand how annoying this is.
 - Email Message Filters seem to be extremely broken.
"extremely broken"? Is it an exaggeration? I find email filters quite usable. Maybe my filters are not complicated enough to trigger the bug you found.
Mar 09 2005
prev sibling parent reply Georg Wrede <georg.wrede nospam.org> writes:
Matthew wrote:
 "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> wrote in message
 news:d0j77h$158t$2 digitaldaemon.com...

"Matthew" <admin stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> wrote in message
news:d0ivh5$s78$1 digitaldaemon.com...

In order to manage the increasing volume of posts on this and other
groups, I tend to hide read messages.
What newsreader are you using? Me, I use Outlook Express, which bolds unread messages. Makes it easy.
Yes, I am using the same execrable filth. I've been planning to upgrade to something decent for years, but there's thing pesky thing called time
Thunderbird, that's what I have on both Windows and Linux. No hassle with install. Easy-beasy. And while _YOU_BOTH_ are at it, get Firefox for surfing. You'll get the time "wasted" back within a week, with interest. Getting and installing them isn't much more work than getting Acrobat Reader, or Flash, etc. I'd be scared to death using OE, or IE.
Mar 08 2005
parent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Georg Wrede wrote:

 Thunderbird, that's what I have on both Windows and Linux.
And Mac OS X, too. (posting this, using Thunderbird)
 No hassle with install. Easy-beasy.
Even available in e.g. Swedish, for us foreigners... --anders
Mar 08 2005