digitalmars.D - Why not support auto Boxing/unBoxing?

reply "uframer" <uframer sina100.com> writes:
Auto Boxing/unBoxing can make the type system complete. It can make some
common cases easy/simple without making others ugly('cause we have
template:). Well, it may cause some performance problems, but i think we can
avoid these by using template. Template can do most of auto boxing/unboxing
do, but look at the example below:

public class Console
{
    public static void Write(string fmt, params object[] args);
}

i think all of you can under what these codes mean, it's handy. Can we use
template to archieve this in a splitted type system?

Waiting for your advices:)
Jan 01 2005
next sibling parent "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"uframer" <uframer sina100.com> wrote in message
news:cr7njl$18j3$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Auto Boxing/unBoxing can make the type system complete. It can make some
 common cases easy/simple without making others ugly('cause we have
 template:). Well, it may cause some performance problems, but i think we
can
 avoid these by using template. Template can do most of auto
boxing/unboxing
 do, but look at the example below:

 public class Console
 {
     public static void Write(string fmt, params object[] args);
 }

 i think all of you can under what these codes mean, it's handy. Can we use
 template to archieve this in a splitted type system?

 Waiting for your advices:)
Autoboxing/unboxing are necessary features for a template system that does not support partial or explicit specialization. Since D does, the boxing support doesn't add critical value. I've always been a bit uncomfortable with it anyway from an efficiency standpoint. (Also, D has another way of doing typesafe variable argument lists.)
Jan 01 2005
prev sibling parent "Carlos Santander B." <csantander619 gmail.com> writes:
uframer wrote:
 Auto Boxing/unBoxing can make the type system complete. It can make some
 common cases easy/simple without making others ugly('cause we have
 template:). Well, it may cause some performance problems, but i think we can
 avoid these by using template. Template can do most of auto boxing/unboxing
 do, but look at the example below:

 public class Console
 {
     public static void Write(string fmt, params object[] args);
 }

 i think all of you can under what these codes mean, it's handy. Can we use
 template to archieve this in a splitted type system?

 Waiting for your advices:)

The D Template Library (dtl, by Matthew Wilson, somewhat outdated ATM) provides std.box, but I can't guarantee you it'll work with the most recent DMD. The Apropos Library (by Andy Friesen, also outdated) also provides a boxing/unboxing feature. Again, I can't guarantee anything. Also, for "a function to take arbitrary parameters" (as you put it), you can use a variadic funtion. _______________________ Carlos Santander Bernal
Jan 31 2005