c++ - OpenGL Library Problems

reply Workaphobia <Workaphobia_member pathlink.com> writes:
<Delurking>
(I realize the name may be somewhat unconventional in this community, but I
wanted to be consistent with my screennames elsewhere)

I'm an intermediate level programmer trying to learn OpenGL. I downloaded the
headers, dlls, and libraries from opengl.org, but can't get a tutorial example
program to link under Digital Mars - it works fine under MSVC5. I did some
(extensive) searching, and found out about the COFF vs OMF format issues, but I
can't seem to find an OMF version of opengl32.lib, glu32.lib, and glut32.lib. I
tried using both COFF2OMF and implib to create my own, and each method produced
files that are less than half as large and missing symbol definitions - I
suppose that means the original libraries weren't just import libs for the dll.

It's extremely irritating that the search results I find seem to contradict
themselves - some say it's impossible to convert a static library, some claim
success, and all of them have forced me to try to reinvent the wheel since no
one has uploaded an OMF library online.

I'm somewhat of a newbie when it comes to the specifics of linking, dlls, and
object files. Half of the terminology I mentioned above I learned in the past 24
hours. If anyone here can tell me what they used to get OpenGL to behave - or if
you can point me in the direction of an already converted lib - I'd greatly
appreciate it.

(By the way, I eventually intend to move on to OpenGL in D. I assume that since
it uses the same backend compiler and linker, I shouldn't have to do anything
extraordinarily different to get it to work there as well - at least in terms of
linking, that is. Correct?)
opengl32.lib and glu32.lib come with the DMC++ compiler CD,
www.digitalmars.com/shop.html

And yes, they should link fine with D, too <g>.

"Workaphobia" <Workaphobia_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:cbg0i4$49f$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

Jun 26 2004
parent Workaphobia <Workaphobia_member pathlink.com> writes:
I just got the example program to compile, using .def files to create my own
libraries get rid of the unknown symbol link errors. I consider that to be
pretty neat, since I didn't know what the heck a .def was several hours ago.

In article <cbkc6q$ajm$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...

Jun 27 2004