c++ - newsgroup oddities

reply "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
I tried unsubscribing to c++ and then resubscribing. Still the exact same
problem, but with a new twist. It won't show any messages posted since Nov.
14.
Nov 17 2003
next sibling parent reply Jan Knepper <jan smartsoft.us> writes:
Walter wrote:

 I tried unsubscribing to c++ and then resubscribing. Still the exact same
 problem, but with a new twist. It won't show any messages posted since Nov.
 14.
Try removing news.digitalmars.com adding it again and subscribing to the newsgroups again. Sorry about the inconvenience... I just rebuild the history and overview database, that should solve the problem. -- ManiaC++ Jan Knepper
Nov 17 2003
next sibling parent reply "KarL" <karl kimay.net> writes:
Same thing.

Worse still, it doubled the unread to 6371, was 3720

"Jan Knepper" <jan smartsoft.us> wrote in message
news:3FB9547C.3080202 smartsoft.us...

KarL wrote:

 Same thing.

 Worse still, it doubled the unread to 6371, was 3720
Sorry, can't help you more there... I am definitely NOT a "Look Out" expert... -- ManiaC++ Jan Knepper
Nov 17 2003
parent reply "Gisle Vanem" <giva users.sourceforge.net> writes:
"Jan Knepper" <jan smartsoft.us> wrote:

 Worse still, it doubled the unread to 6371, was 3720
Sorry, can't help you more there... I am definitely NOT a "Look Out" expert...
Has nothing to do with "Look out" or any other news-reader, but the server side GROUP response. How can the client-side fix or ignore a wrong number in that response?. I told you this already. -- Gisle V. /bin/laden: Not found
Nov 17 2003
Gisle Vanem wrote:
 Has nothing to do with "Look out" or any other news-reader, but
 the server side GROUP response. How can the client-side fix or ignore
 a wrong number in that response?. I told you this already.

Sorry, what is the server telling you now? I am using Mozilla Thunderbird www.mozilla.org without any problems... Thanks! -- ManiaC++ Jan Knepper
Nov 17 2003
parent "Gisle Vanem" <giva users.sourceforge.net> writes:
"Jan Knepper" <jan smartsoft.us> wrote:

 Sorry, what is the server telling you now?
Pretty much the same: NNTP Log started at 11/18/2003 01:18:00 NNTP: 01:18:00 [db] Connecting to 'news.digitalmars.com' on port 119. NNTP: 01:18:01 [rx] 200 digitalmars.com InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.3.2 ready (posting ok). NNTP: 01:18:01 [tx] MODE READER NNTP: 01:18:01 [rx] 200 digitalmars.com InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.3.2 ready (posting ok). NNTP: 01:18:01 [tx] GROUP c++.dos.32-bits NNTP: 01:18:01 [rx] 211 1218 1 409 c++.dos.32-bits NNTP: 01:18:01 [db] Connection closed. is showing 809 new/unread msgs. Same for the other "c++" groups. Maybe Firebird is smarter than OE and uses the minimum of the two. to be higher than > 409. --gv
Nov 17 2003
 Walter wrote:

 I tried unsubscribing to c++ and then resubscribing. Still the exact
same
 problem, but with a new twist. It won't show any messages posted since
Nov.
 14.
Try removing news.digitalmars.com adding it again and subscribing to the newsgroups again. Sorry about the inconvenience... I just rebuild the history and overview database, that should solve the problem.
It's worse now. The number of 'unread' messages is now fixed at double the previous number. Unsubscribing and resubscribing doesn't fix it. Does this work correctly for anyone who isn't using Outlook Express? Up until last week, OE worked fine on this.
Nov 17 2003
parent reply Jan Knepper <jan smartsoft.us> writes:
Have you tried 'deleting' the news.digitalmars.com account and
recreating it?

Thanks!
Jan

Walter wrote:
 It's worse now. The number of 'unread' messages is now fixed at double the
 previous number. Unsubscribing and resubscribing doesn't fix it. Does this
 work correctly for anyone who isn't using Outlook Express? Up until last
 week, OE worked fine on this.

-- ManiaC++ Jan Knepper
Nov 17 2003
"Jan Knepper" <jan smartsoft.us> wrote in message
news:bpboqp$62q$2 digitaldaemon.com...
 Have you tried 'deleting' the news.digitalmars.com account and
 recreating it?
If I do that, I figure I'll lose track of which messages I've read and which I haven't. That'd be a big problem.
Nov 18 2003
next sibling parent Jan Knepper <jan smartsoft.us> writes:
Yes, that would be problem...
Sorry...

Walter wrote:
Have you tried 'deleting' the news.digitalmars.com account and
recreating it?
If I do that, I figure I'll lose track of which messages I've read and which I haven't. That'd be a big problem.
-- ManiaC++ Jan Knepper
Nov 18 2003
prev sibling parent "Matthew Wilson" <matthew-hat -stlsoft-dot.-org> writes:
I've done it, and it doesn't work anyway

news:bpcpl1$1kqp$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Walter wrote:

 I tried unsubscribing to c++ and then resubscribing. Still the exact
same
 problem, but with a new twist. It won't show any messages posted since
Nov.
 14.
Try removing news.digitalmars.com adding it again and subscribing to the newsgroups again. Sorry about the inconvenience... I just rebuild the history and overview database, that should solve the problem.
BTW, please don't renumber the messages. That will mess up the news digest web pages I've created. :-(
Nov 17 2003
parent reply Jan Knepper <jan smartsoft.us> writes:
Sorry I had to once the SPAM was deleted...
Won't do it again...

parent reply gf <mz_y2k yahoo...com> writes:
Jan Knepper <jan smartsoft.us> wrote in
news:bpbopc$62q$1 digitaldaemon.com:

 Sorry I had to once the SPAM was deleted...
 Won't do it again...
You could just ignore it. It would be much easier. BTW XNews 06.08.25 is messed up a little too... I "catched up" and it "seems" to be working fine now. ~/gf