c++ - News ARTICLE counter gone wild

reply "Gisle Vanem" <giva users.sourceforge.net> writes:
Here's recent trace for OE to news.digitalmars.com:

Microsoft Internet Messaging API 6.00.2800.1165
NNTP Log started at 11/17/2003 14:41:01
NNTP: 14:41:01 [db] Connecting to 'news.digitalmars.com' on port 119.
NNTP: 14:41:02 [rx] 200 digitalmars.com InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.3.2
ready (posting ok).
NNTP: 14:41:02 [tx] MODE READER
NNTP: 14:41:02 [rx] 200 digitalmars.com InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.3.2
ready (posting ok).
NNTP: 14:41:02 [tx] GROUP c++
NNTP: 14:41:02 [rx] 211 6411 1 3233 c++

The NNTP server claims to have 6411 articles with numbers 1 to 3233 !?
What's going on here?

Looks like the ARTICLE counter is for the whole server, not per group
or something.

--
Gisle V.

/bin/laden: Not found
Nov 17 2003
parent reply Jan Knepper <jan smartsoft.us> writes:
Are you NNTP expert?

Could it be...
6411 messages in c++*, i.e. c++, c++.announce, c++.stl, etc, in other
words, c++ and c++.*
3233 messages in c++

???

ManiaC++
Jan Knepper

Gisle Vanem wrote:
 Here's recent trace for OE to news.digitalmars.com:

 Microsoft Internet Messaging API 6.00.2800.1165
 NNTP Log started at 11/17/2003 14:41:01
 NNTP: 14:41:01 [db] Connecting to 'news.digitalmars.com' on port 119.
 NNTP: 14:41:02 [rx] 200 digitalmars.com InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.3.2
ready (posting ok).
 NNTP: 14:41:02 [tx] MODE READER
 NNTP: 14:41:02 [rx] 200 digitalmars.com InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.3.2
ready (posting ok).
 NNTP: 14:41:02 [tx] GROUP c++
 NNTP: 14:41:02 [rx] 211 6411 1 3233 c++

 The NNTP server claims to have 6411 articles with numbers 1 to 3233 !?
 What's going on here?

 Looks like the ARTICLE counter is for the whole server, not per group
 or something.

Nov 17 2003
parent reply "Gisle Vanem" <giva users.sourceforge.net> writes:
"Jan Knepper" <jan smartsoft.us> wrote:

 Are you NNTP expert?
No, but I know this is wrong.
 Could it be...
 6411 messages in c++*, i.e. c++, c++.announce, c++.stl, etc, in other
 words, c++ and c++.*
 3233 messages in c++
The article count should be per group. See RFC 977: 3.2.2. Responses 211 n f l s group selected (n = estimated number of articles in group, f = first article number in the group, l = last article number in the group, s = name of the group.) 411 no such news group So " 211 6411 1 3233 c++" is not a valid response AFAICS. --gv
Gisle Vanem wrote:
 "Jan Knepper" <jan smartsoft.us> wrote:

Are you NNTP expert?
No, but I know this is wrong.
Why? >>Could it be...
6411 messages in c++*, i.e. c++, c++.announce, c++.stl, etc, in other
words, c++ and c++.*
3233 messages in c++
The article count should be per group. See RFC 977: 3.2.2. Responses 211 n f l s group selected (n = estimated number of articles in group, f = first article number in the group, l = last article number in the group, s = name of the group.) 411 no such news group So " 211 6411 1 3233 c++" is not a valid response AFAICS.
The question is what is defined as "group". Is "c++" just "c++" or is "c++" "c++" including all the subgroups??? And may be the estimated number of articles is way off... Since it is *estimated* this response could be very valid... Afterall, the RFC does not day that the estimation n <= ( l - f ). ManiaC++ Jan Knepper
Nov 17 2003
I'm having weird problems in the last 3 days with the article counter too.
(I'm using Outlook Express.) The summary for the c++ group says (3178) for
unread messages. All of the messages are read, though. If I select 'catch
up' in the menu, it goes to 0. But the next time I click on the newsgroup,
it goes right back to 3178 unread messages.

This happens for each newsgroup on news.digitalmars.com. It does not happen
with any newsgroups I look at on other servers.

So did anything change in the news server about 2 or 3 days ago? The problem
started happening right after I asked you about that newsgroup spammer.
Nov 17 2003
next sibling parent "Charles Sanders" <sanders-consulting comcast.net> writes:
Just FYI I noticed that also, although I thought it was a problem with my
client ( OE ).  Im having the same problem with the D newsgroup, which
curently shows 19249 messages ( 3179 for C++ ).

news:bpb5a3$2brm$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I'm having weird problems in the last 3 days with the article counter too.
 (I'm using Outlook Express.) The summary for the c++ group says (3178) for
 unread messages. All of the messages are read, though. If I select 'catch
 up' in the menu, it goes to 0. But the next time I click on the newsgroup,
 it goes right back to 3178 unread messages.

 This happens for each newsgroup on news.digitalmars.com. It does not
happen
 with any newsgroups I look at on other servers.

 So did anything change in the news server about 2 or 3 days ago? The
problem
 started happening right after I asked you about that newsgroup spammer.
Nov 17 2003
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Jan Knepper <jan smartsoft.us> writes:
Oh, OK...
<g> Guess I am not using "Look Out!" HA!
Yes, when I deleted the SPAM I renumbered the messages and rebuild the
history database...

Probably the best thing to do is resubscribe to the newsgroups.

Sorry,
ManiaC++
Jan Knepper

Walter wrote:
 I'm having weird problems in the last 3 days with the article counter too.
 (I'm using Outlook Express.) The summary for the c++ group says (3178) for
 unread messages. All of the messages are read, though. If I select 'catch
 up' in the menu, it goes to 0. But the next time I click on the newsgroup,
 it goes right back to 3178 unread messages.

 This happens for each newsgroup on news.digitalmars.com. It does not happen
 with any newsgroups I look at on other servers.

 So did anything change in the news server about 2 or 3 days ago? The problem
 started happening right after I asked you about that newsgroup spammer.

Nov 17 2003
parent "KarL" <karl kimay.net> writes:
"Jan Knepper" <jan smartsoft.us> wrote in message
news:bpb6ec$2d7o$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Oh, OK...
 <g> Guess I am not using "Look Out!" HA!
 Yes, when I deleted the SPAM I renumbered the messages and rebuild the
 history database...

 Probably the best thing to do is resubscribe to the newsgroups.
Tried that. Didn't work KarL
Nov 17 2003
prev sibling parent reply gf <mz_y2k yahoo...com> writes:
"Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> wrote in
news:bpb5a3$2brm$1 digitaldaemon.com:

 I'm having weird problems in the last 3 days with the article counter
 too. (I'm using Outlook Express.) The summary for the c++ group says
 (3178) for unread messages. All of the messages are read, though. If I
 select 'catch up' in the menu, it goes to 0. But the next time I click
 on the newsgroup, it goes right back to 3178 unread messages.
I'm using Xnews a 06.08.25 and I'm experiencing the same problem (related with the article counter).
 This happens for each newsgroup on news.digitalmars.com. It does not
 happen with any newsgroups I look at on other servers.
I don't know about this because I almost only read this newsgroup. :/
 So did anything change in the news server about 2 or 3 days ago? The
 problem started happening right after I asked you about that newsgroup
 spammer.
I experience this before the spam post.
Nov 17 2003
parent Jan Knepper <jan smartsoft.us> writes:
OK, I rebuild the history and the overview database.
See if this solves the problem.
If not, remove everything with regards to news.digitalmars.com and add
the server again, than subscribe to the newsgroups and download the
message headers again.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks!
Jan

[...]