D - Questions about D

reply "news.digitalmars.com" <acrodrigu3z yahoo.com> writes:
Hi, I use Java for deploying a web server, and wanted to
test out D.  A few questions:

1) Are there tools to translate Java to D?

2) Is there a place where people contribute libraries?

3) Is there anything like a servlet in D?  If I write a spec
for this, is it posible to contribute it to the standard
library?

4) Apart from the "urlread" library that I saw somewhere,
are there any other network oriented libraries?

Cheers,

Andres C. Rodriguez
Nov 18 2003
parent reply Ilya Minkov <Ilya_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <bpeeeb$16ls$1 digitaldaemon.com>, news.digitalmars.com says...
Hi, I use Java for deploying a web server, and wanted to
test out D.  A few questions:

1) Are there tools to translate Java to D?
grep? :) No, nothing really. I think the difference is so minor, that some simple regexp magic would do most of it... And D seems to be the best thinkable language to write it in. :)
2) Is there a place where people contribute libraries?
Nope. Someone is working on a Sourceforge-like global repository. For now, Helmut's WIKI holds some links. http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?FrontPage
3) Is there anything like a servlet in D?  If I write a spec
for this, is it posible to contribute it to the standard
library?
Standard library group is being created right now. In principle, contributions are welcomed, but it's not already clear what the standard library would look like in general. It may very well be that GUI, networking, and so on, will not be parts of the core library, but available separately. Of course, with time they shall also have some kind of "standard" status...
4) Apart from the "urlread" library that I saw somewhere,
are there any other network oriented libraries?
Nothing i was aware of. -eye/midiclub
Nov 19 2003
parent "Charles Sanders" <sanders-consulting comcast.net> writes:
 And D seems to be the best thinkable language to write it in. :)
No doubt!
2) Is there a place where people contribute libraries?
Benji hows the site coming ? Lots of people here to help if you need.
I gave up trying to port libcurl, but I might try again, or if someone else wants to try I have a simple D script that will sort-of convert it. C "Ilya Minkov" <Ilya_member pathlink.com> wrote in message news:bpg3oh$hvn$1 digitaldaemon.com...