D - GC

reply Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
I had some segfaults that I suspected where
generated by trying to use objects that
were already collected by the GC.

So I place a gc.FullCollect on my code and now I'm sure.

It's a pitty that to use D now I'm gonna have to
read the pages on GC and memory model and ...
I'm writting higher level apps I don't need to know.

To make D accessible to more users this needs to be
corrected.

Anyone wrote something else on the GC
(ok, ok, I'll browse the links...)

We need another D group for applications.

I'm embaraced posting these questions here
and getting no response at all...

Ant
Oct 15 2003
next sibling parent reply "Matthew Wilson" <matthew stlsoft.org> writes:
 I had some segfaults that I suspected where
 generated by trying to use objects that
 were already collected by the GC.
That's bad
 So I place a gc.FullCollect on my code and now I'm sure.

 It's a pitty that to use D now I'm gonna have to
 read the pages on GC and memory model and ...
 I'm writting higher level apps I don't need to know.
Agreed. I've not yet written sufficiently complex apps such that I can determine whether or not having a mandatory GC is an issue. Nonetheless, if we must have it, then it certainly should work seemlessly, and higher level code should not need to worry. I would think/hope that this is merely a wrinkle that needs to ironed out of the implementation, rather than a fundamental flaw. Let's hope so, anyway!
 To make D accessible to more users this needs to be
 corrected.
Indeed. I'd be surprised if Walter doesn't jump all over this asap. He tends not to like these embarassing ones ...
 Anyone wrote something else on the GC
 (ok, ok, I'll browse the links...)

 We need another D group for applications.
Agreed. We definitely need more D groups. I'd like D.lang D.appl D.bluesky D.bugs
 I'm embaraced posting these questions here
 and getting no response at all...
Hopefull this cheerful rejoinder will refresh your spirits, and have you posting with gay abandon! The newsgroup's gone very quite of late. I've been wondering whether my newsreader had a bug. Maybe everyone's busy with their real jobs ...
Oct 15 2003
parent reply Brad Anderson <brad sankaty.com> writes:

 The newsgroup's gone very quite of late. I've been wondering whether my
 newsreader had a bug. Maybe everyone's busy with their real jobs ...

Real jobs suck sometimes. I'd rather be working on D. But bills, bills, bills.
Oct 15 2003
parent "Matthew Wilson" <matthew stlsoft.org> writes:
"Brad Anderson" <brad sankaty.com> wrote in message
news:bml90m$26dq$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 The newsgroup's gone very quite of late. I've been wondering whether my
 newsreader had a bug. Maybe everyone's busy with their real jobs ...
Real jobs suck sometimes. I'd rather be working on D. But bills, bills,
bills. You should move to Australia. There aren't any jobs to be had, so there's plenty of time for other things. ;)
Oct 15 2003
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <bmkua1$1ohe$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Ant says...
I had some segfaults that I suspected where
generated by trying to use objects that
were already collected by the GC.
My fault, big bug found. That's what I expect to hear from the group: "Can't be - check your code" Or something like that... some of my original post is still valid. Ant
Oct 15 2003
"Ant" <Ant_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:bmle6v$2cqq$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 In article <bmkua1$1ohe$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Ant says...
I had some segfaults that I suspected where
generated by trying to use objects that
were already collected by the GC.
My fault, big bug found. That's what I expect to hear from the group: "Can't be - check your code" Or something like that... some of my original post is still valid.
I'm pretty confident that the gc is solid. It's been hammered pretty good in another project I worked on.
Oct 17 2003
parent reply Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <bmoa27$3er$2 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
"Ant" <Ant_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:bmle6v$2cqq$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 In article <bmkua1$1ohe$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Ant says...
I had some segfaults that I suspected where
generated by trying to use objects that
were already collected by the GC.
My fault, big bug found. That's what I expect to hear from the group: "Can't be - check your code" Or something like that... some of my original post is still valid.
I'm pretty confident that the gc is solid. It's been hammered pretty good in another project I worked on.
That's good to know, and we suspected that: every thing is looking prety solid (as in reliable). (If anybody wants to know my problem was by having references to objects stored through externel C functions, prety dumb,hey? I did have a "todo" comment to remove that... I guess I was surprise the thing worked on the first place) I do have a public 'thank you' on my D projects web pages, but somehow I feel I need to thank you again, if there is any doubt here it is: thanks for D! Ant
Oct 17 2003
"Ant" <Ant_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:bmp22u$139j$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I do have a public 'thank you' on my D projects web pages,
 but somehow I feel I need to thank you again,
 if there is any doubt here it is:

 thanks for D!
You're welcome! And thanks for putting up the web pages you do, they're a big help.
Oct 17 2003
prev sibling parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <bhinkle4 juno.com> writes:
Were you using linux? I had to recompile libphobos.a in order to get any GC
at all, so maybe that would help.
good luck,
Ben

"Ant" <Ant_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:bmkua1$1ohe$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I had some segfaults that I suspected where
 generated by trying to use objects that
 were already collected by the GC.

 So I place a gc.FullCollect on my code and now I'm sure.

 It's a pitty that to use D now I'm gonna have to
 read the pages on GC and memory model and ...
 I'm writting higher level apps I don't need to know.

 To make D accessible to more users this needs to be
 corrected.

 Anyone wrote something else on the GC
 (ok, ok, I'll browse the links...)

 We need another D group for applications.

 I'm embaraced posting these questions here
 and getting no response at all...

 Ant
Oct 17 2003
parent Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <bmpufl$2b1c$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Ben Hinkle says...
Were you using linux? I had to recompile libphobos.a in order to get any GC
at all, so maybe that would help.
good luck,
Ben
linux. Maybe that's why the error didn't show up in the first place! Maybe that's why an earlier test creating 20_000 or 500_000 objects (depending on the object, can't remeber the exact numbers) would crash an application! I do recompile phobos for tests sometimes... Ant
Oct 17 2003