D - My New Lang

reply Kevin Atkinson <kevin atkinson.dhs.org> writes:
I release this is off topic but I thought some people would be interested.

For my Ph D Theseus I am strongly considering developing a new Programming
language to replace C, C++.  (So I guess there will be some competition
between my yet-to-be-named-lang and D :) ).

I have written an very rough draft of an overview of the Lang which you
can find at http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org/mylang/.

My Philosophy differers from D in several ways.

* Macros are good.  In fact will be an integral part of the language, and
  will behave much like lisp macros, with all the same power that lisp
  macros give.  More info in my overview.  Please read it before you
  argue with me.

* The core language should be as simple as possible.  For example my new
  language will very likely NOT have a builtin floating point type.
  Instead that will be provided by a library.  The aim is to provide
  the necessary info structure in the core language to make floating point
  operations as fast as if they were builtin.

--
http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org
Oct 07 2003
next sibling parent reply "Sean L. Palmer" <palmer.sean verizon.net> writes:
I had an idea for case sensitivity that I like alot.

Identifiers should be case insensitive, *except* that the first character is
case sensitive.  That way, it doesn't matter if you write Foo or FOO or FoO,
or fooBar or foobar or fOoBaR, yet A and a are considered different, and foo
and Foo are considered different.  Underscores should be allowed but
ignored.

You have a lot of good ideas.

I would try if I were you to make macros *not* be based on textual
substitution.

Sean

news:Pine.LNX.4.44.0310071208260.1551-100000 kevin-pc.atkinson.dhs.org...

next sibling parent reply Kevin Atkinson <kevin atkinson.dhs.org> writes:
Sean L. Palmer wrote:

 I would try if I were you to make macros *not* be based on textual
 substitution.
Exactly what do you mean by that?
Oct 07 2003
parent reply "Sean L. Palmer" <palmer.sean verizon.net> writes:
I mean make them symbolic if at all possible.

So you don't have problems like this:

#define op(arg, arg2) arg+arg2  // bad because needs parenthesis to make
grouping clear

#define moo(str) str+3 // bad because type cannot be checked
moo("foo");
moo(while);

But if you're using them to define language elements your "types" would have
to include literals and such.  I've not really been exposed to Lisp macros
so I am not sure what that would look like, or what you're going to be
trying to do with the macros.

All I know is I've seen some really really nasty stuff crafted using C
macros.  Stuff that barely works, which is worse I think than something that
doesn't work at all.  Macros in C cause lots of problems (especially with
header files).

Sean

"Kevin Atkinson" <kevin atkinson.dhs.org> wrote in message
news:blvufa$29cg$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Sean L. Palmer wrote:

 I would try if I were you to make macros *not* be based on textual
 substitution.
Exactly what do you mean by that?
Oct 08 2003
next sibling parent reply "Jan-Eric Duden" <jeduden whisset.com> writes:
yep.
Really nice are for example the windows macros:

from windows.h
#ifdef _UNICODE
#define CreateFile CreateFileW
#else
#define CreateFile CreateFileA
#endif

from someheader.h which is used with windows.h

class MyFileAbstractionClass
{
public:
    void CreateFile();
};

Great, isnt it?
--
Jan-Eric Duden
news:bm0h8q$2lq$1 digitaldaemon.com...

next sibling parent Kevin Atkinson <kevin atkinson.dhs.org> writes:
Jan-Eric Duden wrote:

 Really nice are for example the windows macros:

 from windows.h
 #ifdef _UNICODE
 #define CreateFile CreateFileW
 #else
 #define CreateFile CreateFileA
 #endif

 from someheader.h which is used with windows.h

 class MyFileAbstractionClass
 {
 public:
     void CreateFile();
 };

That type of macro will most likely not be allowed in MyLang.
Oct 08 2003
prev sibling parent Ilya Minkov <minkov cs.tum.edu> writes:
Jan-Eric Duden wrote:
 yep.
 Really nice are for example the windows macros:
=20
 from windows.h
 #ifdef _UNICODE
 #define CreateFile CreateFileW
 #else
 #define CreateFile CreateFileA
 #endif
 Great, isnt it?
Not really great. We have "alias" for that. Macros make the semantics of = the substitution blur and disappear. Alias stands for another identifier = only in the context where it has been defined, while the macro will=20 replace the same identifier in any other context. Think of Namespaces=20 and Classes, which can have the same identifier refer to unrelated=20 things. Heck, think of K=F6nig lookup! There has been some university project which made a context-sensitive=20 pre-processor, which didn't expose problems of the C preprocessor, and=20 had immense power. This is actually near to the direction Kevin is=20 going, and was an effort to create something much simpler than OpenC++. BTW, Kevin: I come to think that (among other things) i like your=20 definition of inner classes a lot - because they are a generalisation of = *properties*, making them so much more flexible! Like, you can have not=20 only read and write, but also increments, decrements, all other=20 operators defined directly, and with unrestricted access to the=20 containing class! -eye
Oct 16 2003
prev sibling parent Kevin Atkinson <kevin atkinson.dhs.org> writes:
Sean L. Palmer wrote:

 So you don't have problems like this:

 #define op(arg, arg2) arg+arg2  // bad because needs parenthesis to make
 grouping clear
Macros that expand to expressions will have implicit grouping.
 #define moo(str) str+3 // bad because type cannot be checked
 moo("foo");
 moo(while);
This may still be allowed but the error message will be clearer. It will be something like "syntax error .... expanded from moo ...."

Macros are functions which return a string to be used instead of the macro. Ie there are written in MyLang themself. Thus there will be no need to have new operators.
 I've not really been exposed to Lisp macros
 so I am not sure what that would look like, or what you're going to be
 trying to do with the macros.
Than you can not really appreciate macros as I intend to use them.
 All I know is I've seen some really really nasty stuff crafted using C
 macros.  Stuff that barely works, which is worse I think than something that
 doesn't work at all.  Macros in C cause lots of problems (especially with
 header files).
Most all of those problems will be avoided. Macros in MyLang will not be blanket replacements. They obey namespace rules, and can not evaluate to anything. They must evaluate to a valid grammatical element or list of. For example: "a * b" OK "* b" NOT "var x; var y;" OK "var x; var" NOT "a = 10; b = 20" OK "=10; b=" NOT
Oct 08 2003
prev sibling parent "Philippe Mori" <philippe_mori hotmail.com> writes:
"Sean L. Palmer" <palmer.sean verizon.net> a écrit dans le message de
news:blus3m$rs9$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I had an idea for case sensitivity that I like alot.

 Identifiers should be case insensitive, *except* that the first character
is
 case sensitive.  That way, it doesn't matter if you write Foo or FOO or
FoO,
 or fooBar or foobar or fOoBaR, yet A and a are considered different, and
foo
 and Foo are considered different.  Underscores should be allowed but
 ignored.
While I like the idea of underscore in number, I think that ignoring them in variable might cause some surprises if 2 variables are considered equivalent when they should not: bool a_head = ... // indicate if the object is a head bool ahead = ... // indicate that the object is in the front. Also this not works well with conventions that _ at the beginning is reserved for the compiler in C/C++ and for the convention that an ending _ is used for (typically constructor) arguments that would otherwise have the same name: f(int i_) { i = i_; } IMHO, identifier should be case sensitive but we might not allows having the same identifier in the same scope with different case for the same purpose but we should be able to have a class and an object that differs only in case: class Something; Something something; Otherwise, we need even more imagination to find variable names... Finally, I think that complicate rules (like an exception for the first letter would make everything more complicate: we have to know the rule, the compiler has to implement it and every parser would also have to handle those rules....)
 You have a lot of good ideas.

 I would try if I were you to make macros *not* be based on textual
 substitution.

 Sean
Oct 08 2003
prev sibling parent reply Charles Hixson <charleshixsn earthlink.net> writes:
I couldn't tell how you intended to deal with inheritance.  One of
the sticky issues.  (Personally, I like the Eiffel model.)

Also, I couldn't tell if you intend to deal with dynamic types, or
how you would implement persistence.  I've often thought that
languages should have a b+tree that stores "active code", and that
there should be an "export this routine" operation which creates a
package that includes a stripped b-tree of the code needed by the
routine being exported.  (There would also need to be a
complementary "import" routine.)

If I recall, in the early days something like this was considered
for Eiffel, but was decided against, for reasons of compactness.
Smalltalk made the other choice, but went on to decide on a closed
system...understandable if you recall the days in which it started.
  But what I'm contemplating here is something similar to a
"long-term memory", and anything which only depended on items that
had been remembered in the b+tree could be efficiently persisted,
and less efficiently exported.  (Persisting of the data might be
similar to the "remembering" of the code...i.e., the same system
could probably be used for both.)  It seems that perhaps something
like CVS could be adapted to this purpose without too much
contortion, but there would need to be provisions for indexing
things so that they could be found again, and perhaps an overnight
cycle which could purge the tree of items over a certain date which
had lost all of their indexes (which would mean that it would be
necessary to determine what was still current).
Oct 07 2003
Charles Hixson wrote:
 I couldn't tell how you intended to deal with inheritance.  One of the
 sticky issues.  (Personally, I like the Eiffel model.)
I don't know yet.
 Also, I couldn't tell if you intend to deal with dynamic types, or how
 you would implement persistence.
I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by persistence.
Oct 07 2003
Kevin Atkinson wrote:
 Charles Hixson wrote:

 I couldn't tell how you intended to deal with inheritance.  One of the
 sticky issues.  (Personally, I like the Eiffel model.)
I don't know yet.
 Also, I couldn't tell if you intend to deal with dynamic types, or how
 you would implement persistence.
I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by persistence.
data, classes, and other objects that are remembered between invocations, and can be rolled in and out of memory. Rather like a database built into the language, but designed to work with the language so it can easily restore things complete with the type that they had when they were "learned". Usually it's been done as an add-on, and such have usually been quite clumsy, so it probably needs to be built into the language...though you do speak of end-users being able to add language features. I'm not sure if you mean this in as thorough-going a manner as FORTH does, but a good persistence mechanism would definitely require that data be able to identify to the system what it's type was, and to be seen as being of the appropriate type even after being rolled back in. Smalltalk does this reasonably well, Java quite poorly, many others even worse.
Oct 08 2003
next sibling parent reply J Anderson <anderson badmama.com.au.REMOVE> writes:
Charles Hixson wrote:

 data, classes, and other objects that are remembered between
 invocations, and can be rolled in and out of memory.  Rather like a
 database built into the language, but designed to work with the
 language so it can easily restore things complete with the type that
 they had when they were "learned".  Usually it's been done as an
 add-on, and such have usually been quite clumsy, so it probably needs
 to be built into the language...though you do speak of end-users being
 able to add language features.  I'm not sure if you mean this in as
 thorough-going a manner as FORTH does, but a good persistence
 mechanism would definitely require that data be able to identify to
 the system what it's type was, and to be seen as being of the
 appropriate type even after being rolled back in.   Smalltalk does
 this reasonably well, Java quite poorly, many others even worse.
Previously I suggested that if D supported compile-time-methods, programming something like RTTI persistence would be easy. It wouldn't be built into the language, but you'd be killing a load of birds with one stone. -Anderson
Oct 08 2003
J Anderson wrote:
 Charles Hixson wrote:

[...]
Persistence doesn't need to be built into the language, but the appropriate hooks for building it do. I'm not sure that compile-time methods would suffice, though they would definitely make at least a kludgey system feasible. It also seems to me that there needs to be a way for an object to identify it's type to the system...compile time methods don't really handle that well without an attached database that tracks "known types", though I suppose that you could attach a copy of the source to each data item... maybe not a good idea. Basically you need a way to register a type with the system, and for the system to identify it by a type number. Also needed is some way of exporting and importing files that attaches to them the types necessary to understand them in a system independant way, that still avoids excessive redundancy. Probably something that strips comments and spaces, and assigns variables cannonical names so that identically implemented algorithms are identical. Then gzip it, and calculate a checksum to allow fast elimination of most candidates. You'd still get some reduncancy, but a lot less. And it would be smaller. (One gzipped instance of each compressed type used per file.) Fancier methods allow versioning, etc., but I was looking for a quick and easy method that would be portable. Possibly versioning information could be stored separately. Since all this is, is code the total amount would be small compared to data. And if it could be reduced to a single number (long or int for types? probably int within any one file) per data item then it becomes more practical. Also, one should think seriously about the compression algorithm before finally deciding. Bzip2 is a lot smaller than zip or gzip for large files, but what about something the size of a typical type? Especially a stripped and condensed (via white space removal) type. You need a compression algorithm that works well on small files, and acceptably on reasonably sized ones. You could think of this as a super pickle (python), but pickles don't include the code, do they? My impression is that when you read in a pickle, you need to identify the code yourself. This is more like Smalltalk images... but I do find it significant that my two examples of something similar are Python and Smalltalk (though I do seem to remember that Pickle was originally used with C). And both Python and Smalltalk are significantly differnt from D in their orientation towards dynamic typing. (Again I think of Neon from Kyria Software, which had user speicfiable binding times for types, but that was an OO FORTH dialect, and types in FORTH are, again, a significantly differnt concept than those of D.)
Oct 08 2003
Charles Hixson wrote:

 J Anderson wrote:

 Charles Hixson wrote:

[...]
I was thinking that a database would be used with the compile time methods (CTM). You could use a ralivent database that was already provided by a D library. I would would manage type changes when the programs compile, that may be clunky. The actual unique identifier provided would be a constant at runtime, with no database searching required (with parhaps one or two lookups). However, do I think CTM would require some sort of extra support, like making the typeid stuff available to the CTM at compile time. (Actually I should probably call CTM, compile-time-function-calls because in my suggestion any library method could be used at compile time, as apposed to a function only being available for compile time.)
[...]
One other thing that would reduce clashes would be some form of name spacing.
 You could think of this as a super pickle (python), but pickles don't
 include the code, do they?  My impression is that when you read in a
 pickle, you need to identify the code yourself.  This is more like
 Smalltalk images... but I do find it significant that my two examples
 of something similar are Python and Smalltalk (though I do seem to
 remember that Pickle was originally used with C).  And both Python and
 Smalltalk are significantly differnt from D in their orientation
 towards dynamic typing.  (Again I think of Neon from Kyria Software,
 which had user speicfiable binding times for types, but that was an OO
 FORTH dialect, and types in FORTH are, again, a significantly differnt
 concept than those of D.)
Oct 08 2003
parent Charles Hixson <charleshixsn earthlink.net> writes:
Please note that most of the fancy mapping I talk about would only
be needed when a chunk was being exported into a inter-machine
portable form (which, I suppose, could also be used for long-term
storage).  But most of the time a simple type sequence number should
suffice, though this does require that the database always be loaded
during compilations.  You use the sequence number to look up the
check-sum, and if they don't match, you've got database consistency
problems.  But comitting a new type to the database should be a
separate step, not something that happens automatically (unless you
have a "generate release version" option).

Also note that the database should be at the front of the search
path when you are doing imports, or includes, or whatever you end up
calling the process.  This helps prevent name clashes by detecting
them early.  Creating non-memorable names should be legal, but of
couse such names couldn't be remembered in the database, so it
should generate a suppressable warning.

Think of the difference between short term and long term memory.
Session memory is short term, inter-session memory is long term, and
exportable is writing things to books.

J Anderson wrote:
 Charles Hixson wrote:

prev sibling next sibling parent reply Kevin Atkinson <kevin atkinson.dhs.org> writes:
Charles Hixson wrote:

 I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by persistence.
data, classes, and other objects that are remembered between invocations, and can be rolled in and out of memory. Rather like a database built into the language, but designed to work with the language so it can easily restore things complete with the type that they had when they were "learned".
I am really not that familiar with that concept. I can't think of any areas in RTTI where caching would help.
Oct 08 2003
parent reply Helmut Leitner <helmut.leitner chello.at> writes:
Kevin Atkinson wrote:

 Charles Hixson wrote:

 I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by persistence.
data, classes, and other objects that are remembered between invocations, and can be rolled in and out of memory. Rather like a database built into the language, but designed to work with the language so it can easily restore things complete with the type that they had when they were "learned".
I am really not that familiar with that concept. I can't think of any areas in RTTI where caching would help.
Think of a user that opens application windows, resizes and fills them to arrange a kind of workspace. Now he wants to exit, turn off the computer, later restart his program and continue where he left. If you want to support this kind of convenience, you have a lot of work to save and restore all kinds of objects. Persistence would allow you to stream out these objects and restore them almost without effort. -- Helmut Leitner leitner hls.via.at Graz, Austria www.hls-software.com
Oct 08 2003
next sibling parent "Philippe Mori" <philippe_mori hotmail.com> writes:
"Helmut Leitner" <helmut.leitner chello.at> a écrit dans le message de
news:3F845D18.F18C2D98 chello.at...
 Kevin Atkinson wrote:
 Charles Hixson wrote:

[...]
But to be very usefull, the persistent format must be known and usable with many target (file, compound storage (COM), registry, application files, byte array,...) and we must have provision for type that are not represented the same way on every platform... If we switch language, platform, compiler version, OS,... we need to be able to read the file anyway (maybe not easily but it should be possible without reverse-enginnering of the file/stream format). But in pratice, this will probably not works as the persistence must recreate objects... At least, it should be well defined for any D compiler and ideally the format should be well known so that we would know how to decode the file content (from C++ for example) or from D if a new version of the application is enough modified to not being able to uses the data directly.... but might like to read some properties (for a checkbox that is replace by a radio group where we might want to select one option if the check box was checked in the old version of the application)
 --
prev sibling parent reply Kevin Atkinson <kevin atkinson.dhs.org> writes:
Helmut Leitner wrote:

 Kevin Atkinson wrote:

I am really not that familiar with that concept.  I can't think of any
areas in RTTI where caching would help.
Think of a user that opens application windows, resizes and fills them to arrange a kind of workspace. Now he wants to exit, turn off the computer, later restart his program and continue where he left. If you want to support this kind of convenience, you have a lot of work to save and restore all kinds of objects. Persistence would allow you to stream out these objects and restore them almost without effort.
So really what you are doing is saving an object and all of its subobjects? I plan to provide an easy way to walk a complex data structure so that you can copy it, print it, etc.
Oct 08 2003
Kevin Atkinson wrote:
 So really what you are doing is saving an object and all of its
 subobjects?  I plan to provide an easy way to walk a complex data
 structure so that you can copy it, print it, etc.

I've seen a crude persistence done that way, but it rapidly becomes both large and tangled as you try to increase the scale. Eiffel had something like that in an add-on class, and it ended up requiring a full memory state save. Not ideal. You want something that only records things that have changed from last time, and if the "same" data item (a tricky definition there!) has been changed, it gets overwritten on the external store. Rewriting everything every time is not only inefficient in lots of ways, it also prevents the memory scaling well. Imagine something that tracks your e-mail, and your responses...and saves partially completed responses until you either finish them or delete them. You don't want to pull all that into ram each time, only the pieces you're working with. Most of it doesn't change often, but some of it changes a lot. And you'd like to be able to index it several ways, based on content, which needs to be determined by a program (since you can't rely on subject headers). --- O, and you switch from machine to machine occasionally, so you want to be able to pack this up and send it off, or merge it against messages already received. That's actually not a good example, as there are already well defined ways to doing that particular job. But they don't generalize into doing other similar jobs. But most of this stuff shouldn't be a part of the basic language design, it's just that the language should have hooks to support this. (Though including a basic B+Tree datatype as a part of the language might be rather nice. It's the logical next step from hash tables. [Given my point of view.])
Oct 08 2003
parent reply Benji Smith <dlanguage xxagg.com> writes:
There's a great example of a persistence library for Java that uses
snapshots and command logs. It's called "prevayler" and you can read
about it at http://www.prevayler.org

--Benji
Oct 09 2003
Benji Smith wrote:
 There's a great example of a persistence library for Java that uses
 snapshots and command logs. It's called "prevayler" and you can read
 about it at http://www.prevayler.org

 --Benji
I don't know about the Java model, but the Ruby implementation of Prevayler is an example of what I was talking about. It requires a full memory state save of everything persisted. And you must also roll in everything to use it, even if all you want to do is change a string (or, for that matter, an integer).
Oct 09 2003
parent "Achilleas Margaritis" <axilmar b-online.gr> writes:
"Charles Hixson" <charleshixsn earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:bm4397$cll$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Benji Smith wrote:
 There's a great example of a persistence library for Java that uses
 snapshots and command logs. It's called "prevayler" and you can read
 about it at http://www.prevayler.org

 --Benji
I don't know about the Java model, but the Ruby implementation of Prevayler is an example of what I was talking about. It requires a full memory state save of everything persisted. And you must also roll in everything to use it, even if all you want to do is change a string (or, for that matter, an integer).
I have been talking about this for a long time. Here is my last reply on Slashdot: http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=79683&cid=7042606 Objects need to be persistent. The main memory must be a cache between the hard disk and the CPU. The O/S must handle object orientation, class management and persistent. All that a language needs is a 'persistent' attribute...each member marked as persistent will be automatically saved to/loaded from disk; if it contains other persistent members, they would be saved too in the order they are declared. The layout of the class (known to the whole system by the O/S) would be the format that the data are saved into. Sorry if this seems slightly offtopic, but people don't seem to realize how a true object-oriented operating system would change our lives. (And object-oriented languages would be a natural for it).
Oct 10 2003
Charles Hixson wrote:

 how you would implement persistence.
The MyLang *core* will not only support low-level objects. It won't even directly support inheritance since there will be no need to. See section 3.13 "Low Level Objects" in the expanded MyLang overview at http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org/mylang/. Inheritance and all OO conceps can be implemented by the user using Compile Time Functions (see section 5.1). The default library will provide an OO implementation which will be as easy to use, if not easier, than C++. I do not know if how much persistence support will be provided. However, if you are not satisfied with what is provided you can implement it yourself since MyLang provides you with the necessary tools to do so. And it will be just as easy to use as if it was built into the language.
Oct 13 2003