D - D book

reply Vaygr Bomber <Vaygr_member pathlink.com> writes:
Will there be an official D book?  An example would be the
"Oreilly D in a Nutshell" or the "Oreilly D Cookbook" or "Programming
D" each by Walter of course.  Other publishers would also be possible.
You could include the open source version of D.
Oct 07 2003
next sibling parent Friedrich Dominicus <frido q-software-solutions.com> writes:
Vaygr Bomber wrote:
 Will there be an official D book?  An example would be the
 "Oreilly D in a Nutshell" or the "Oreilly D Cookbook" or "Programming
 D" each by Walter of course.  Other publishers would also be possible.
 You could include the open source version of D.

May I ask if you have an idea on how much work has to be put into a book? Regards Friedrich
Oct 08 2003
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Helmut Leitner <leitner hls.via.at> writes:
Vaygr Bomber wrote:

 Will there be an official D book?  An example would be the
 "Oreilly D in a Nutshell" or the "Oreilly D Cookbook" or "Programming
 D" each by Walter of course.  Other publishers would also be possible.
 You could include the open source version of D.
I'm sure there will be an official D book, because that's unavoidable. The best chance might be that we can talk Matthew into authoring such a book, perhaps in a team with Walter and a few others to help. But it wouldn't be senseful and fair to buyers to write such a book before the standard library has materilized and stabilized. So this may be a year or two in the future. -- Helmut Leitner leitner hls.via.at Graz, Austria www.hls-software.com
Oct 08 2003
parent "Matthew Wilson" <matthew stlsoft.org> writes:
You seem to be most insighful on several points ... ;)

"Helmut Leitner" <leitner hls.via.at> wrote in message
news:3F842943.7B64EB12 hls.via.at...
prev sibling parent reply Ilya Minkov <minkov cs.tum.edu> writes:
Vaygr Bomber wrote:
 Will there be an official D book?  An example would be the
 "Oreilly D in a Nutshell" or the "Oreilly D Cookbook" or "Programming
 D" each by Walter of course.
I strongly suspect Walter prefers writing compilers instead of books. Maybe if you were to write a book he could possibly assist you by writing a book compiler. ;) There have been some efforts in the community to start writing a book. It's just too early for that now. Most importantly, Bruce Eckel keeps his eyes open on D and shall be among the first to write a book. Knowing the quality of the other books he wrote, you could call it official right away. :) It would be nice to see a few chapters written by various authors (Walter, Mathew) though, and the book should be available online. -eye
Oct 15 2003
"Ilya Minkov" <minkov cs.tum.edu> wrote in message
news:bmkg3k$15b3$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Vaygr Bomber wrote:
 Will there be an official D book?  An example would be the
 "Oreilly D in a Nutshell" or the "Oreilly D Cookbook" or "Programming
 D" each by Walter of course.
I strongly suspect Walter prefers writing compilers instead of books. Maybe if you were to write a book he could possibly assist you by writing a book compiler. ;) There have been some efforts in the community to start writing a book. It's just too early for that now. Most importantly, Bruce Eckel keeps his eyes open on D and shall be among the first to write a book. Knowing the quality of the other books he wrote, you could call it official right away. :) It would be nice to see a few chapters written by various authors (Walter, Mathew) though, and the book should be available online.
One of the problems I'd have writing a book (besides being a lousy writer) is I'd prefer to just post it all online. Book publishers aren't too interested in that <g>.
Oct 16 2003
next sibling parent reply "Matthew Wilson" <matthew stlsoft.org> writes:
 One of the problems I'd have writing a book (besides being a lousy writer)
 is I'd prefer to just post it all online. Book publishers aren't too
 interested in that <g>.
It pays badly enough as it is, how d'you expect anyone to do it (unless they were independently wealthy). Apparently Bjarne Stroustrup, who's TC++PL is one of the biggest sellers ever, has said that book only allowed him to pay for one child's education. A tropical island it ain't!
Oct 16 2003
Matthew Wilson wrote:

 One of the problems I'd have writing a book (besides being a lousy writer)
 is I'd prefer to just post it all online. Book publishers aren't too
 interested in that <g>.
It pays badly enough as it is, how d'you expect anyone to do it (unless they were independently wealthy). Apparently Bjarne Stroustrup, who's TC++PL is one of the biggest sellers ever, has said that book only allowed him to pay for one child's education. A tropical island it ain't!
That's why I think work should be distributed. - the basic introduction and reference (exists anyway, Walter) - a tutorial (will exist sooner or later in sufficient quality) - a complete library reference (must be created anyway with the library) - a few real world sample applications will bring the authors a long way towards the finished book. A book will gain little for it's authors but reputation. But reputation is a "symbolic capital" that can be converted to profit. The printed book is more important than the online version, because it would put D as a language in different league. Online you can describe anything. But you print only things that are stable enough to hold for a few years. Otherwise you've done all the work for nothing. A book is an important signal. -- Helmut Leitner leitner hls.via.at Graz, Austria www.hls-software.com
Oct 17 2003
parent Mark T <Mark_member pathlink.com> writes:
That's why I think work should be distributed.
   - the basic introduction and reference (exists anyway, Walter)
   - a tutorial (will exist sooner or later in sufficient quality)
   - a complete library reference (must be created anyway with the library)
   - a few real world sample applications
will bring the authors a long way towards the finished book.

A book is an important signal.
I've always liked the O'Reilly Nutshell books. I have purchased a few over the years. Since I don't program very often in Java, I tend to use it as a refresher. I have the Java nutshell 2nd edition. It is now on the 4th edition. Maybe you could start by outlining the table of contents. http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/javanut4/ http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/javanut4/toc.html http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/cplsian/toc.html http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/delphi/toc.html http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/csharpnut2/toc.html I'm sure O'Reilly would publish it after D went 1.0 and not all the chapters were previously published on the web.
Oct 25 2003
prev sibling parent reply "Samuel Barber" <opendtv yahoo.com> writes:
news:bmnq8r$2fu8$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 One of the problems I'd have writing a book (besides being a lousy writer)
 is I'd prefer to just post it all online. Book publishers aren't too
 interested in that <g>.
You might be surprised. I know of (non-fiction) writers who web their stuff, and don't have any trouble getting it published. There does seem to be a general taboo against webbing fiction, however. Sam
Oct 17 2003
"Samuel Barber" <opendtv yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:bmop9b$n05$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 news:bmnq8r$2fu8$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 One of the problems I'd have writing a book (besides being a lousy
writer)
 is I'd prefer to just post it all online. Book publishers aren't too
 interested in that <g>.
You might be surprised. I know of (non-fiction) writers who web their
stuff,
 and don't have any trouble getting it published. There does seem to be a
 general taboo against webbing fiction, however.
Perhaps it might work. I have a tendency to buy hardcopies of books even if I have them online. I also agree with Helmut that a printed D book would be a big milestone for the language.
Oct 19 2003