D - DIDE 0.96

reply "Charles Sanders" <sanders-consulting comcast.net> writes:
Hey all, lots of changes to DIDE its getting close to useable now.  Its at a
new site at

www.atari-soldiers.com

Im planning on adding code browser soon (thanks to keith's great idea of
CTAGS! ), and then a dialog editor.

I'm waiting on approval from sourceforge for DublN (CPAN like tool ), but
they are taking a suspiciously long time to respond.  I would host it but my
hosting company doesnt offer mysql, does anyone have any room somewhere so
we can get started on this ?

I noticed a link called D journal on the DM page, I have room to host it if
someone wants to write it ?

Charles
Jul 30 2003
next sibling parent reply "Andrew Edwards" <edwardsac spamfreeusa.com> writes:
"Charles Sanders" <sanders-consulting comcast.net> wrote...
 Hey all, lots of changes to DIDE its getting close to useable now.  Its at
 new site at
Great stuff Charles! One question though: Is there no way to compile a single file without making it a part of some project? Andrew
Jul 30 2003
parent "Charles Sanders" <sanders-consulting comcast.net> writes:
No you can compile a single file with Compile This File, under the Project
Menu (F6).

Charles
news:bg9fvd$2b72$1 digitaldaemon.com...
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Matthew Wilson" <matthew stlsoft.org> writes:
 I'm waiting on approval from sourceforge for DublN (CPAN like tool ), but
 they are taking a suspiciously long time to respond.  I would host it but
my
 hosting company doesnt offer mysql, does anyone have any room somewhere so
 we can get started on this ?
Would love to help, but simply don't have the time. However, I know a very helpful young software cadet, Greg Peet, who's a bit of a whizz with such things. Greg, are you interested in helping? I know you're not (yet) a D aficionado, but I would think this would be a snap for you to do. hint hint ... ;)
 I noticed a link called D journal on the DM page, I have room to host it
if
 someone wants to write it ?
Thanks for that. We've got all the space we need, as Jan is hosting it on the DM server. The journal is something that we will progress in the non-too-distant future, but it is backed up behind a number of other tasks. Walter's busy writing the D compiler, I'm busy on my C++ book, all the D coding-gurus are busy writing D libs. Be assured that it is something Walter and I keep mentioning to each other from time to time, and it has not been forgotten or jettisoned. It's a great idea waiting for the right time (which is soon - probably before the end of this year). Matthew
Jul 30 2003
next sibling parent "Greg Peet" <admin gregpeet.com> writes:
"Matthew Wilson" <matthew stlsoft.org> wrote in message
news:bg9hvu$2d45$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Would love to help, but simply don't have the time. However, I know a very
 helpful young software cadet, Greg Peet, who's a bit of a whizz with such
 things. Greg, are you interested in helping? I know you're not (yet) a D
 aficionado, but I would think this would be a snap for you to do. hint
hint What would be needed? Just MySQL? Charles do you have ICQ? Mine is: 86560133
Jul 30 2003
prev sibling parent reply "Charles Sanders" <sanders-consulting comcast.net> writes:
 Be assured that it is something Walter and I keep mentioning to each other
 from time to time, and it has not been forgotten or jettisoned.
Cool that would be something fun :).
 Walter's busy writing the D compiler, I'm busy on my C++ book, all the D
 coding-gurus are busy writing D libs.
Looking forward to the book!
Yea I'm looking forward to sqllite, Im not as fluent with D as I would like to be, but I'm going to try to make bindings to libcurl (http://curl.haxx.se) help me get a feel for it, has anyone succesfully compiled libcurl with DMC ? Charles "Matthew Wilson" <matthew stlsoft.org> wrote in message news:bg9hvu$2d45$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I'm waiting on approval from sourceforge for DublN (CPAN like tool ),
but
 they are taking a suspiciously long time to respond.  I would host it
but
 my
 hosting company doesnt offer mysql, does anyone have any room somewhere
so
 we can get started on this ?
Would love to help, but simply don't have the time. However, I know a very helpful young software cadet, Greg Peet, who's a bit of a whizz with such things. Greg, are you interested in helping? I know you're not (yet) a D aficionado, but I would think this would be a snap for you to do. hint
hint
 ... ;)

[...]

"Charles Sanders" <sanders-consulting comcast.net> wrote in message
news:bg9n3j$2hva$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Be assured that it is something Walter and I keep mentioning to each
other
 from time to time, and it has not been forgotten or jettisoned.
Cool that would be something fun :).
Well the long term plan would be for it to be both fun and serious, and I have every intention for it to be a fully-fledged publication - on a par with CUJ/DDJ/TPJ/WDN - although getting it to that level will require serious effort on the part of the editors & authors, not to mention a mainstream status of D itself. Still we have time and talent, so let's see ...
 Walter's busy writing the D compiler, I'm busy on my C++ book, all the D
 coding-gurus are busy writing D libs.
Looking forward to the book!
Cool. I'll let the publisher know that they can increase the print run to 17. ;)
Jul 30 2003
parent reply John Reimer <jjreimer telus.net> writes:
Looking forward to the book!
Cool. I'll let the publisher know that they can increase the print run to 17. ;)
Make that 18, please? :D
Jul 30 2003
"John Reimer" <jjreimer telus.net> wrote in message
news:bg9rj7$2lmn$1 digitaldaemon.com...
Looking forward to the book!
Cool. I'll let the publisher know that they can increase the print run
 17. ;)
Make that 18, please? :D
19!
Jul 30 2003
parent reply "Matthew Wilson" <matthew stlsoft.org> writes:
Man, you guys are deliberately undermining my cutting English
self-deprecation with your unabashed American niceness.

Weren't you humiliated by your sport's masters at school?

news:bg9slf$2mqr$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "John Reimer" <jjreimer telus.net> wrote in message
 news:bg9rj7$2lmn$1 digitaldaemon.com...
Looking forward to the book!
Cool. I'll let the publisher know that they can increase the print run
 17. ;)
Make that 18, please? :D
19!
Jul 30 2003
next sibling parent "Greg Peet" <admin gregpeet.com> writes:
"Matthew Wilson" <matthew stlsoft.org> wrote in message
news:bga0gp$2qkb$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Man, you guys are deliberately undermining my cutting English
 self-deprecation with your unabashed American niceness.

 Weren't you humiliated by your sport's masters at school?
Uh...we call them coaches over here matty =P
Jul 30 2003
prev sibling parent "Charles Sanders" <sanders-consulting comcast.net> writes:
lol, sports masters.

Charles

"Matthew Wilson" <matthew stlsoft.org> wrote in message
news:bga0gp$2qkb$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Man, you guys are deliberately undermining my cutting English
 self-deprecation with your unabashed American niceness.

 Weren't you humiliated by your sport's masters at school?

 news:bg9slf$2mqr$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "John Reimer" <jjreimer telus.net> wrote in message
 news:bg9rj7$2lmn$1 digitaldaemon.com...
Looking forward to the book!
Cool. I'll let the publisher know that they can increase the print
run
 17. ;)
Make that 18, please? :D
19!
Jul 30 2003
prev sibling next sibling parent "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
Great! I've put the links up for it. -Walter
Jul 30 2003
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Matthew Wilson" <matthew stlsoft.org> writes:
Charles

Am applauding of your efforts with DIDE, and look forward to using it. I
have a couple of concerns, however:

1. Are you abstracting as much as possible away from MFC, so it can be
reimplemented in WTL (for coolness) and later in D (for ultimate coolness)?

2. Are you providing a component based approach so that it can host
plug-ins. My own D plans - once I open a time window in a month or so - is
to write a D+COM template library (currently called DCTL for want of a
cooler acronym/name) that is superior to the flawed but useful (and
admittedly pretty damn good) ATL. I would be very keen on DIDE if it could
host COM plug-ins for moderating various IDE aspects. It would be super cool
if the DIDE had a plug-in wizard architecture such that it could be used for
_writing_ DCTL components.

3. I'm also interested in (someone else developing) plug-ins for D for other
IDEs, and wonder whether that's factored into your current architecture?
i.e. what bits might be easily abstracted and work as plug-ins to, say,
Visual Studio, Metrowerks CodeWarrior. (I believe they both have a
reasonably pluggable architecture in their latest incarnations).

In the long term, I wonder whether you've thought about merging DIDE and the
DMC++ IDDE, such that DIDE could debug D (and C, and C++) code? I don't know
whether that would be something Walter would sanction from a commercial
basis, but it'd be a fantastic boost to the usability of D.

Cheers

Matthew

news:bg9fbh$2ajt$1 digitaldaemon.com...

coolness)? Yea I use the 5 tier'd approach of http://www.ambysoft.com/buildingObjectApplications.html. However the GUI in this case is most of code, theres not much in DIDE other than 'glue' code, managing the projects , editor and compiler etc, but all those are self contained.
 2. Are you providing a component based approach so that it can host
 plug-ins
I was thinking about exposing some of the editor internals to a D module so you could write compiled scripts much like emacs uses elisp, but I really dont have much experience with COM, other than using it. I think that would be a great idea though, I'll dig up some material for it.
No I have no experience with writing plug-ins for either of those compilers (or any for that matter) , I'll try to find some code examples / material for it though. I don't know that I see a huge benefit in having cross-IDE plugins though, are CodeWarriors and VS's compatible ? Charles "Matthew Wilson" <matthew stlsoft.org> wrote in message news:bg9npq$2iie$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

I think it's time for a fresh start on that for a fresh new language!
Jul 30 2003
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
Could you give me a one line description for the link on
www.digitalmars.com/d/dlinks.html ?
Jul 30 2003
next sibling parent "Charles Sanders" <sanders-consulting comcast.net> writes:
DIDE, breakfast of champions.

:)

Charles

news:bg9slg$2mqr$2 digitaldaemon.com...
prev sibling parent "Greg Peet" <admin gregpeet.com> writes:
news:bg9slg$2mqr$2 digitaldaemon.com...
 Could you give me a one line description for the link on
 www.digitalmars.com/d/dlinks.html ?
Simple to navigate and useful. And aren't those little 'D's so cute all over. =)
Jul 30 2003
prev sibling parent reply Stephan Wienczny <wienczny web.de> writes:
Charles Sanders wrote:
 Hey all, lots of changes to DIDE its getting close to useable now.  Its at a
 new site at

 www.atari-soldiers.com

 Im planning on adding code browser soon (thanks to keith's great idea of
 CTAGS! ), and then a dialog editor.

 I'm waiting on approval from sourceforge for DublN (CPAN like tool ), but
 they are taking a suspiciously long time to respond.  I would host it but my
 hosting company doesnt offer mysql, does anyone have any room somewhere so
 we can get started on this ?

 I noticed a link called D journal on the DM page, I have room to host it if
 someone wants to write it ?

 Charles

Hallo Charly, nice work so far, but I found some bugs... 1. I have to open a single file before i can open a project. 2. It should be possible to create a new file which is added to an project. 3. Could you create a toolbar for the inserts? Stephan
Aug 01 2003
next sibling parent reply "Charles Sanders" <sanders-consulting comcast.net> writes:
 1. I have to open a single file before i can open a project.
Hmm yes I'll fix that.
 2. It should be possible to create a new file which is added to an
project. Yea now you have to save the file and add to the project, but I'll add a 'New File in Project' menu option.
I could it would be a pain for the user because the editor looses focus, there are short cut keys for all of the inserts though so that should save time. Thanks for the feedback, Charles "Stephan Wienczny" <wienczny web.de> wrote in message news:bge023$jrk$1 digitaldaemon.com...

parent Joel Lucsy <jjlucsy usol.com> writes:
"Charles Sanders" <sanders-consulting comcast.net> wrote in
news:bge3dj$n56$1 digitaldaemon.com:
 3. Could you create a toolbar for the inserts?
I could it would be a pain for the user because the editor looses focus, there are short cut keys for all of the inserts though so that should save time.
Why not just set focus back to the editor after an insert? -- Joel Lucsy
Aug 01 2003
Ok added those things (except for number 3, coming later).

 Charles Sanders wrote:
[...]

Aug 02 2003
prev sibling parent "Charles Sanders" <sanders-consulting comcast.net> writes:
Went a little toolbar crazy :).  Added a couple more toolbars for editing
and compiling.

 Charles Sanders wrote:
[...]

Aug 03 2003