D - Linux success

reply Mark T <Mark_member pathlink.com> writes:
the "hello" test on RedHat 7.3
this is a shared system which I didn't muck with /etc or /usr/lib
I also didn't use the dmd.conf file (I'm an old UNIX guy)
just set your PATH up correctly  (for real work you would use a make file)

$ gcc --version
2.96

$ ld -V
GNU ld version 2.11.93.0.2 20020207
Supported emulations:
elf_i386
i386linux
elf_i386_glibc21

$ dmd -c -I/home/markt/dmd/src/phobos hello.d

$ gcc hello.o -o hello /home/markt/dmd/lib/libphobos.a -lpthread -lm
/usr/bin/ld: /home/markt/dmd/lib/libphobos.a(gc.o): bad relocation section name
`.rel.gnu.linkonce.t_d_newΏ?'

the executable worked fine

$ ./hello
hello world
args.length = 1
args[0] = './hello'
$

Nice work Walter !
=======================

can DMD spit out it's version?
May 13 2003
next sibling parent "Carlos Santander B." <carlos8294 msn.com> writes:
"Mark T" <Mark_member pathlink.com> escribiσ en el mensaje
news:b9rf9k$22kg$1 digitaldaemon.com...

| can DMD spit out it's version?

It does. Just write dmd and at the very top, there it is. Most likely you
have to do dmd |more.

—————————————————————————
Carlos Santander

---
May 13 2003
prev sibling parent reply "Luna Kid" <lunakid neuropolis.org> writes:
"Mark T" <Mark_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:b9rf9k$22kg$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 the "hello" test on RedHat 7.3
 the executable worked fine
 Nice work Walter !
 =======================
Yes, yes, very nice, thank you so much! I just tried it on Debian (latest unstable), with no problem at all! Cheers, Sz.
May 14 2003
parent "Luna Kid" <lunakid neuropolis.org> writes:
"Luna Kid" <lunakid neuropolis.org> wrote in message
news:b9t2gn$lun$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Mark T" <Mark_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
 news:b9rf9k$22kg$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 the "hello" test on RedHat 7.3
 the executable worked fine
 Nice work Walter !
Yes, yes, very nice, thank you so much! I just tried it on Debian (latest unstable), with no problem at all!
One problem, with samples/d2html though: On Windows, it prints "Error: file 'd2html.kwd' not found" (no wonder, as I don't have such a file anywhere). Strangely though, on Linux, it does not complain at all, it even srites the output HTML file, but before finishing it, falls in an infinite loop appending empty lines, then segfaults out. The segfault is the less interesting thing to me here. But the difference in handling (File.new()) that missing file is what needs some attention, I'd guess. Later, Sz.
May 14 2003