D - Sourceforge for D

reply Benji Smith <Benji_member pathlink.com> writes:
In a previous thread, some people were talking about creating a list of known D
projects (as part of the wiki), with links to the appropriate sites to download
the code. I don't think this will scale very well.

Personally, I would prefer to have a central repository of D code than to simply
have a list of links to other projects. I would like to be able to go to one
site to see what's available, and download what I like from that site. It seems
like keeping the community project list synchronized with the actual development
projects will be more trouble than it's worth, especially as more and more
developers start experimenting with D.

I'd even go so far as to say: at this this point, _everyone_ should contribute
the D code they're writing back into a central repository, so that we can all
benefit, and so that we can drive the acceptance of this language further into
the mainstream. (You can look forward to seeing my XML parser, spinnerette,
published publicly under LGPL sometime in May).

Does anybody know what it would take to get D added as a language category to
the sourceforge.net software map? Although I'm not a fanatical open source
advocate (and am actually somewhat opposed to the ideals of the FSF), there is
currently no better (and more publicly accessible) code repository than
sourceforge. If someone was surfing sourceforge looking for interesting
projects, they might notice that there was a language called "D" and, out of
curiousity, check it out to see what it entailed.

As a side-effect, this might actually encourage some more people to tackle the
GCC port.

Of course, if we can't get D added as a language to the software map at
sourceforge, the next best idea is using opend.org as the central repository of
D projects. But I think it will be impossible to keep a list of links reasonably
up-to-date.

--Benji

 Wouldn't it also be nice to have a
  - D community project list (who is working on what)
Excellent idea. You may also take into account that it would likely be growing to something "bigger" that could be better handled by some existing task/project management software, saving you much duplicate work. But that may be just far too ahead yet, dunno.
Apr 03 2003
next sibling parent "Luna Kid" <lunakid neuropolis.org> writes:
 Wouldn't it also be nice to have a
  - D community project list (who is working on what)
Excellent idea. You may also take into account that it would likely be growing to something "bigger" that could be better handled by some existing task/project management software, saving you much duplicate work. But that may be just far too ahead yet, dunno.
 In a previous thread, some people were talking about creating a list of
known D
 projects (as part of the wiki), with links to the appropriate sites to
download
 the code. I don't think this will scale very well.
Obviously, but for a start, let Helmut do it. It's certainly better than nothing, although nearly impossible to keep up-to-date, as you also said (and it can only get harder by time).
 Does anybody know what it would take to get D added as a language category
 to the sourceforge.net software map?
There's at least this one already: http://sourceforge.net/projects/brightd (I have no clue, though, is it in the "language" category or not, I have always found SourceForge's pages messy and confusing.) Luna Kid
Apr 03 2003
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Benji Smith <Benji_member pathlink.com> writes:
Is no one interested in seeing a centralized repository of D code? Is it better
to search all over the internet for source code to projects in D?

I'm amazed that this thread has gotten so little response.

--Benji

In article <b6ho7v$cgd$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Benji Smith says...
[...]

Apr 07 2003
next sibling parent reply Helmut Leitner <leitner hls.via.at> writes:
Benji Smith wrote:

 Is no one interested in seeing a centralized repository of D code? Is it better
 to search all over the internet for source code to projects in D?

 I'm amazed that this thread has gotten so little response.
Do you want to create a repository? -- Helmut Leitner leitner hls.via.at Graz, Austria www.hls-software.com
Apr 08 2003
parent Benji Smith <Benji_member pathlink.com> writes:
Actually, I do. I've started working on it already. I'll post more info in a few
days, when I know more.

--Benji

Helmut Leitner says...
Do you want to create a repository?
--
Helmut Leitner    leitner hls.via.at
Graz, Austria   www.hls-software.com
Apr 08 2003
prev sibling parent "Luna Kid" <lunakid neuropolis.org> writes:
"Benji Smith" <Benji_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:b6som6$ges$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Is no one interested in seeing a centralized repository of D code? Is it
better
 to search all over the internet for source code to projects in D?

 I'm amazed that this thread has gotten so little response.

 --Benji
:) I'd *love* to see one. As well as a central docs. repo. (I simply don't beleive it's feasible to coordinate currently, that's why I could'nt be bothered...) Cheers, Szabi
Apr 08 2003
prev sibling parent Ilya Minkov <midiclub 8ung.at> writes:
Blender.org people recommend GForge:

--- 8< ---
After a not-so-succesful trial with SourceForge 2.5 code we discovered
the GForge fork (http://gforge.org) which proved to be more easy to
install and getting to work (great work, Stefan Arentz!). GForge is
based at SourceForge 3.0, as being in development by VA Linux in the past.

Gforge itself is still in a pre-release phase, meaning that we've had
(and will have) quite some little bugs to solve, and have to wait for
upcoming releases. Still, we're happy with the results for so far, and
we are eagerly anticipating the move to this new projects site before
january 5th...

I think this could be a good idea. You can see it working at
projects.blender.org
and if we get problems, blender people could help out. :)
This is way better than the messy, slow sourceforge.

-i.