D - 0.61 pavel.windows problem

reply Helmut Leitner <helmut.leitner chello.at> writes:
The new dmd dislikes lines like

   const int MAXDWORD = (0xFFFFFFFF);

and errors:

   c:\d\pavel\windows.d(999): cannot implicitely convert uint to int

enforcing

   const int MAXDWORD = (int)(0xFFFFFFFF);

to compile.

The problem is that there are about 85 offending lines.
You will need about 50 compiles to find them (or be an regex expert).

Any suggestions how to handle this problem?
  Undo the change? (really dislike such conversion error/warning messages)
  Is Pavel reachable to update his file? Maybe other files need an update too?

--
Helmut Leitner    leitner hls.via.at
Graz, Austria   www.hls-software.com
next sibling parent reply "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
You could also rewrite it as -1.

news:3E8B5497.9E82CB10 chello.at...

parent reply Helmut Leitner <helmut.leitner chello.at> writes:
Walter wrote:

 You could also rewrite it as -1.

Its about various numbers in the range 0x8000000 to 0xFFFFFFFF. The offending lines are (I surely won't convert them manually to ints): 999 1006 1227 1258 1293 1400-1401 1474 1492-1493 1496 2196-2212 2214-2215 2555-2556 2575-2577 2641 2784 2850-2856 2995 3117 3352 3811 3823 4129-4132 4377 4399 4426-4432 4963 5050-5071 5099 6837 6960 9846 (I give no guarantee that this list is complete, but I hope this list will be nevertheless be helpful for those interested in using windows.d) (1) One problem is that anyone who downloads Pavels windows.d file to evaluate the Win32 API (I did a week ago) will run into problems. If he is going to solve them on its own, it will take him 30 minutes and the chance ise high that he will be frustrated enough to turn away. (2) The second more severe problem is, that this Win32 API is not in Walters testing framework. I also think that this would be a good point to rethink "stop on first error" because IMHO in this case it would not be a problem to continue compilation. If I had got a list of all offending lines in one sweep, the time to put in the casts would have reduces from 30 to perhaps 5 minutes. -- Helmut Leitner leitner hls.via.at Graz, Austria www.hls-software.com
Apr 02 2003
parent Jonathan Andrew <Jonathan_member pathlink.com> writes:
Helmut,
As far as I know, the stop on first error is a problem with the compiler, not
a feature! I'm sure it will get fixed in a later version.

-Jon

prev sibling parent Andy Friesen <andy ikagames.com> writes:
Helmut Leitner wrote:
 The new dmd dislikes lines like

    const int MAXDWORD = (0xFFFFFFFF);

 and errors:

    c:\d\pavel\windows.d(999): cannot implicitely convert uint to int

 enforcing

    const int MAXDWORD = (int)(0xFFFFFFFF);

 to compile.

 The problem is that there are about 85 offending lines.
 You will need about 50 compiles to find them (or be an regex expert).

 Any suggestions how to handle this problem?
   Undo the change? (really dislike such conversion error/warning messages)
   Is Pavel reachable to update his file? Maybe other files need an update too?

 --
 Helmut Leitner    leitner hls.via.at
 Graz, Austria   www.hls-software.com
Enjoy. (Visual Studio has an awesome regexp search-and-replace)
Apr 02 2003