D - No more object but : Componant

reply nicO <nicolas.boulay ifrance.com> writes:
One new concept coming from the hardware design is arriving. It's the
componant. It look like an object. But could be see as something
"bigger". Object was first develop for reusability. But in reality, some
programmer said that at most, 30% of classes of a particular project
could be reused, because there are too much depencies between classes.

Componant in hardware have input and ouput and didn't need the existence
of others "things" (class, object definition,...) to work. It could seen
as actual plug-in or some program that could interract with others by
shared memory to extend fonctionnality.

Personnaly, i think that a component should be active and should run in
it's own thread. So you could write threaded code very easly and program
multicpu machine.

So a component could be an active object that is suffisant to it self to
be run. It's a little bit like to link 2 process but at the compiler
level. But we could imagine dynamic link (change the mailer of an
existing program at run time).

The most important thing is to defined how the component could talk to
each other. Object-like interface need to know the name of the object
and the name of it's method.

Some framework defined some other way to do it. Object-like interface
could be seen as software bus. But we could imagine a system of channel
(a communication component it-self ?) where each componant could be
attached. So somebody could send a message(?) thought this channel and
every attached componant will receive it.

We could also implement event port to defined reactive componant to the
outside world but it very much like the other type of port.

The intermediate object is the easiest way to be more flexible for
programming.

I hope i'll be explicit enough.

nicO
Aug 31 2001
It sounds a lot like DLLs, COM and ActiveX.

parent nicO <nicolas.boulay ifrance.com> writes:
Walter a écrit :

 It sounds a lot like DLLs, COM and ActiveX.

I don't know it but it look like. And those example aren't a feature of a language. Interface aren't stricly defined. If you want you could write OO style code with c. nicO