D - running exe (win) and console window

reply Paul Stanton <Paul_member pathlink.com> writes:
Just wondering if anyone knows how to run an executable (d) without the console
window appearing?
I have written a process which should be a background task, and would prefer to
have no window associated with it.
Thanks in advance.
Jan 31 2003
next sibling parent reply Burton Radons <loth users.sourceforge.net> writes:
Paul Stanton wrote:
 Just wondering if anyone knows how to run an executable (d) without the console
 window appearing?
 I have written a process which should be a background task, and would prefer to
 have no window associated with it.
Add "-L/exet:nt/su:windows" to the flags when you link. Don't use a WinMain, just a normal main works properly.
Jan 31 2003
parent reply "Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer directvinternet.com> writes:
But you lose printf that way.  ;(

Maybe Walter you can define a new stream type in addition to stdin, stdout,
stderr:  stddebug!!!  And on windows this goes to OutputDebugString,
otherwise the default is the same as stderr.

D doesn't have any console or file I/O of its own right now;  it's borrowing
everything from the C runtime library.  That should get addressed at some
point.  If printf is built into the language, so should sprintf and fprintf,
and thus so should the standard streams, fread, fwrite, etc.  That old
crufty C stuff is a big mess if you ask me.  I'd find a way to build a way
to pipe some generic string-builder functionality to any stream.

Sean

"Burton Radons" <loth users.sourceforge.net> wrote in message
news:b1epuj$1785$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Paul Stanton wrote:
 Just wondering if anyone knows how to run an executable (d) without the
console
 window appearing?
 I have written a process which should be a background task, and would
prefer to
 have no window associated with it.
Add "-L/exet:nt/su:windows" to the flags when you link. Don't use a WinMain, just a normal main works properly.
Feb 01 2003
parent reply Karl Bochert <kbochert copper.net> writes:
On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 04:59:57 -0800, "Sean L. Palmer"
 Maybe Walter you can define a new stream type in addition to stdin, stdout,
 stderr:  stddebug!!!  And on windows this goes to OutputDebugString,
 otherwise the default is the same as stderr.

While you're at it, why not have 'stdkey' which is to stdin as stderr is to stdout? Karl Bochert
Feb 07 2003
parent Antti Sykari <jsykari gamma.hut.fi> writes:
Karl Bochert <kbochert copper.net> writes:

 On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 04:59:57 -0800, "Sean L. Palmer"
 Maybe Walter you can define a new stream type in addition to stdin,
 stdout, stderr: stddebug!!!  And on windows this goes to
 OutputDebugString, otherwise the default is the same as stderr.

While you're at it, why not have 'stdkey' which is to stdin as stderr is to stdout?
Heh - this reminds me of another proposition, namely "why not have default values for function return values, like in some languages we have default values for arguments". Now, how would it work? -Antti
Feb 08 2003
prev sibling parent "Mike Wynn" <mike.wynn l8night.co.uk> writes:
you might find these links useful
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/windows.html
http://www.l8night.co.uk/mwynn/d/win32api.html
http://www.codemoon.com/cm/artlist.php?index=main