D - I don't know

reply Mike <Mike_member pathlink.com> writes:
Hello, I'm coming from RAD land, I don't understand what use has a programing
language without a user interface? I understand the dos days, ok , but thats
over .
 I really would appreciate it, most probably I am missing something..
Jan 22 2003
parent reply "Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer directvinternet.com> writes:
Well for starters, you can use it to *write* a user interface.  ;)

Also it's not a great idea to tie a language too tightly to a particular
interface, be it graphical or text.

If you need a pretty IDE with drag and drop buttons and forms, D is too
early along in development for that yet.  Come back in a year or so.

Every language has to start somewhere, and while Walter is like a one man
Army, he isn't Microsoft;  the WYSIWYG dialog editors will have to come
later.

Sean

"Mike" <Mike_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:b0o34e$27lv$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Hello, I'm coming from RAD land, I don't understand what use has a
programing
 language without a user interface? I understand the dos days, ok , but
thats
 over .
  I really would appreciate it, most probably I am missing something..
Jan 23 2003
next sibling parent reply "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
"Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer directvinternet.com> wrote in message
news:b0og91$2er2$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Every language has to start somewhere, and while Walter is like a one man
 Army, he isn't Microsoft;  the WYSIWYG dialog editors will have to come
 later.
Writing wysisyg dialog editors is not a core competency of mine :-( so I'm hoping someone else will rise to that challenge!
Jan 23 2003
parent Mike <Mike_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <b0qdai$hlm$3 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
"Sean L.
Palmer" <seanpalmer directvinternet.com> wrote in message
news:b0og91$2er2$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Every language has to start
somewhere, and while Walter is like a one man
 Army, he isn't Microsoft;  the
WYSIWYG dialog editors will have to come
 later.
I hope he wouldn't be like MS with there style
prev sibling parent reply Ilya Minkov <midiclub 8ung.at> writes:
Sean L. Palmer wrote:
 Well for starters, you can use it to *write* a user interface.  ;)

 Also it's not a great idea to tie a language too tightly to a particular
 interface, be it graphical or text.

 If you need a pretty IDE with drag and drop buttons and forms, D is too
 early along in development for that yet.  Come back in a year or so.

 Every language has to start somewhere, and while Walter is like a one man
 Army, he isn't Microsoft;  the WYSIWYG dialog editors will have to come
 later.

 Sean
Well, i am also originally coming from RAD, but i didn't like it there. I also consider it harmful, not knowing about the usual loopback interfaces and such, which is a classical programming practice applicable to many daily tasks, hidden from RADlers. It is important to devise a cross-platform GUI library. Then a UI builder can be written. Not the other way around. :> I might volunteer to write a GUI builder if i appear to like the GUI library, which i shall not design myself, but will keep dropping "wishes" in. :> For now i'm planning to write a "c-hea.d" utility, which does -- guess what! But i'll be busy for the next 2 weeks and won't actually start until afterwards. I first planned to do it in OCaml, but i think i'll rather stick to D. -i.
Jan 24 2003
parent reply Mike <Mike_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <b0rvu3$1atm$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Ilya Minkov says...
Sean L.
Palmer wrote:
 Well for starters, you can use it to *write* a user interface.
;)

[...]

I don't have the slightest idea But i'll be busy for the next 2 weeks and won't actually start
until afterwards. I first planned to do it in OCaml, but i think i'll
rather stick to D.

-i.
Jan 26 2003
parent Ilya Minkov <midiclub tiscali.de> writes:
Mike wrote:
For now i'm planning to write a "c-hea.d" utility, which does -- guess
what!
I don't have the slightest idea
Convert C headers into D imports, so that existing C libraries and interfaces can be easily used.
Jan 27 2003