c++.windows
c++.windows.16-bits
c++.windows.32-bits
c++.wxwindows

digitalmars.empire
digitalmars.DMDScript

c++ - Counting Clock cycles

↑ ↓ ← "jim p" <x y.com> writes:
I hope this isn't too much of a stupid question.

I've just developed a silly little real time network routing simulator.

I need to determine the minimum processor speed that will perform all the
necessary calculations to keep it operating in real time.

Forgetting memory access times, to do this I need to know how much CPU work
the application is doing.

Is there any way of counting CPU clock cycles for example, for a particular
function call ???

Jim
Oct 07 2003
The Intel x86 RDTSC instruction is what you're looking for.

"jim p" <x y.com> wrote in message news:blvp83$22tm$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I hope this isn't too much of a stupid question.

 I've just developed a silly little real time network routing simulator.

 I need to determine the minimum processor speed that will perform all the
 necessary calculations to keep it operating in real time.

 Forgetting memory access times, to do this I need to know how much CPU

 the application is doing.

 Is there any way of counting CPU clock cycles for example, for a

 function call ???

 Jim

Oct 08 2003
Any pointers to some documentation on the x86 RDTSC instruction ??

news:bm0cve$2tkb$1 digitaldaemon.com...