c++.stlsoft
c++.windows
c++.windows.16-bits
c++.windows.32-bits
c++.wxwindows

digitalmars.empire
digitalmars.DMDScript

c++ - iostream puzzle

↑ ↓ ← "Jim Jennings" <jwjenn mindspring.com> writes:
The in_file.bad() instruction in the code below does not return true if a
bad file name is entered on the command line. The cerr message and the
return are skipped. The two commented lines return true, and the error
message and the return statement execute for both of them. I am using the
stlport library with dmc.
According to N. Josuttis, C++ Standard Library, p.598, bad() is supposed to
return true if  a fatal error has occurred (badbit is set). I have compiled
this program with dmc and another compiler with identical results.

    std::ifstream in_file(argv[1]);
//    if (in_file.fail())
//    if (!in_file)
    if (in_file.bad())
    {
         std::cerr << "Cannot open " << argv[1] << '\n';
         return -1;
    }

I can find bad() in dm\include\iostream.h and some dll's in dm\bin
iostream.h says this:
inline int      ios::fail() { return state & (failbit | badbit |
hardfail); }
inline int      ios::bad() { return state & (badbit | hardfail); }

Am I correct in concluding that trying to open a non-existing input file
does not turn on either the badbit or the hardfail, but only the failbit?
Jim W. J.
Mar 09 2003
Try the version of <iostream> in \dm\stlport\stlport, the older <iostream.h>
in \dm\include is obsolete (but included for backwards compabitility).

"Jim Jennings" <jwjenn mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:b4harj$2fmg$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

Mar 10 2003