digitalmars.D.learn - Internal error from DMD

reply Bradley Smith <digitalmars-com baysmith.com> writes:
Is this a bug? Should the DMD compiler ever give an internal error?

import std.stdio;
import std.boxer;

void main() {
	Object[] l;
	l ~= cast(Object) box(1);
	int a = unbox!(int)(cast(Box) l[0]);
	writefln("value %d", a);
}

dmd tmp.d c:\dmd\src\phobos\std\boxer.d
tmp.d(6): e2ir: cannot cast from Box to object.Object tmp.d(7): e2ir: cannot cast from object.Object to Box Internal error: e2ir.c 267 Thanks, Bradley
Jun 23 2006
parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Bradley Smith" <digitalmars-com baysmith.com> wrote in message
news:e7hvil$1ffi$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Is this a bug? Should the DMD compiler ever give an internal error?
Considering it's in alpha, the compiler is allowed to have some slack ;) But no, it's not _supposed_ to have internal errors. Any internal error is a bug.
 import std.stdio;
 import std.boxer;

 void main() {
 Object[] l;
 l ~= cast(Object) box(1);
You can't cast a box to Object; box is a struct, not a class. If you want an array of boxes, hava a look at boxArray().
 int a = unbox!(int)(cast(Box) l[0]);
 writefln("value %d", a);
 }

dmd tmp.d c:\dmd\src\phobos\std\boxer.d
tmp.d(6): e2ir: cannot cast from Box to object.Object tmp.d(7): e2ir: cannot cast from object.Object to Box Internal error: e2ir.c 267
Jun 23 2006
parent reply Bradley Smith <digitalmars-com baysmith.com> writes:
I didn't mean to be overly critical of the compiler. I wasn't sure how
to interpret the "Internal error" message, and I just wanted to confirm
that the objective was to not have any internal errors.

What is the proper procedure for reporting a bug?

Thanks for the pointer about Box and Object. I'm still learning how D
handles data.

Thanks,
   Bradley

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
[...]

Jun 24 2006
parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Bradley Smith" <digitalmars-com baysmith.com> wrote in message
news:449CF0E7.3020107 baysmith.com...
I didn't mean to be overly critical of the compiler. I wasn't sure how to
interpret the "Internal error" message, and I just wanted to confirm that
the objective was to not have any internal errors.
Oh no, I didn't take it that way. Don't worry about it.
 What is the proper procedure for reporting a bug?
The most proper is through the D bugzilla: http://d.puremagic.com/bugzilla/index.cgi You'll set up an account and then you can add the bug using the "Enter a new issue" link. As far as I can find, this issue hasn't been added to bugzilla yet.
 Thanks for the pointer about Box and Object. I'm still learning how D
 handles data.
Sure. Just wondering what you're trying to store? There might be a simpler way to store it, whatever it is; I've personally never had to use boxes, though maybe you're coming from a dynamically typed background.
Jun 24 2006
Jarrett Billingsley wrote:

 Sure.  Just wondering what you're trying to store?  There might be a simpler
 way to store it, whatever it is; I've personally never had to use boxes,
 though maybe you're coming from a dynamically typed background.

I'm experimenting with converting some Java code to D, and the code stores int, boolean, and String data in a list through the Integer and Boolean wrapper objects. Using the D boxer is the only way I've found to create a heterogeneous array which includes primitive data elements. Perhaps the need for boxing could be eliminated by making the code more D-like, but at this point, I'm only trying a straight translation. Bradley
Jun 25 2006
parent Chris Nicholson-Sauls <ibisbasenji gmail.com> writes:
Bradley Smith wrote:
 Jarrett Billingsley wrote:

 Sure.  Just wondering what you're trying to store?  There might be a
 simpler way to store it, whatever it is; I've personally never had to
 use boxes, though maybe you're coming from a dynamically typed
 background.
I'm experimenting with converting some Java code to D, and the code stores int, boolean, and String data in a list through the Integer and Boolean wrapper objects. Using the D boxer is the only way I've found to create a heterogeneous array which includes primitive data elements. Perhaps the need for boxing could be eliminated by making the code more D-like, but at this point, I'm only trying a straight translation. Bradley
Well, if it only ever works with those three types, you could go with a Var struct. You can simplify creation of Var structs with a set of static call operators, like such: While it isn't /the/ most elegant solution possible, its tried and true, and pretty effective for definite sets of types. -- Chris Nicholson-Sauls
Jun 26 2006