digitalmars.D.learn - Radically different performance on same hardware.

reply Dave <Dave_member pathlink.com> writes:
In the "Computer Language Shootout" D does pretty well, except for a couple of
the benchmarks.

One of those that it does poorly on is:

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/benchmark.php?test=revcomp&lang=dlang&id=0

On their test box, it takes ~10 secs. On my machine (a P4 2.2G, 512 MB RAM,
Fedora Core 3) it takes 0.68 secs. The test machine and mine are evenly matched
except it is running Debian Linux 'unstable', Kernel 2.6.8-1-k7.

They have another box that looks hardware-wise identical to mine (running Gentoo
2005.1 stage 3):

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=revcomp&lang=dlang&id=0

On that machine, the same test takes ~9 secs. compared to (again) 0.68 secs on
mine.

There are somethings about the other test machines I'm not privy to like cache
size, swap file size, etc... but that couldn't make that big of difference for
just one test, could it?

Anybody have any idea what could be going on here, or run into a similiar
problem between Fedora and Debian?

Thanks.
Dec 08 2005
parent "Kris" <fu bar.com> writes:
It's pretty hard on the heap ... used  ~26MB?

news:dnamf5$2ls5$1 digitaldaemon.com...