digitalmars.D.learn - a slew of questions about D...

reply clayasaurus <clayasaurus gmail.com> writes:
1) can you do ... int function(const value) in D? or function(int value)
const?

2) can you do versioning like...

static if (version == ONE || version == TWO)

or version(!Windows)

?

or what about...

version( ONE || !TWO)

3) can D do default values like c++? function(int num = 0)
and you can either call function() for function(5)

4) How would I convert the command #pragma warning( disable : 4800 ) to
D? I'm not too keen on pragmas.

Thanks

~ Clay
Oct 28 2005
next sibling parent reply Chris Sauls <ibisbasenji gmail.com> writes:
clayasaurus wrote:
 1) can you do ... int function(const value) in D? or function(int value)
 const?
Technically (as I understand it) no. Although it may not be /as/ neccessary.
 2) can you do versioning like...

 static if (version == ONE || version == TWO)
Should be able.
 or version(!Windows)
I wish.
 or what about...

 version( ONE || !TWO)
I wish again.
Yep. For some time now. http://www.digitalmars.com/d/function.html
 4) How would I convert the command #pragma warning( disable : 4800 ) to
 D? I'm not too keen on pragmas.
In this case, I believe you'd just skip it. There's not much reason to ignore-flag warnings in a compiler that ordinarily doesn't do warnings anyhow. Although now that we have the -w switch maybe there should be a disable pragma... Not sure. I don't use -w all that often anyhow. -- Chris Sauls
Oct 29 2005
parent clayasaurus <clayasaurus gmail.com> writes:
Chris Sauls wrote:
 clayasaurus wrote:

 1) can you do ... int function(const value) in D? or function(int
 value) const?
Technically (as I understand it) no. Although it may not be /as/ neccessary.
 2) can you do versioning like...

 static if (version == ONE || version == TWO)
Should be able.
I wasn't able to do so, so I just used Derek's suggestion.
 or version(!Windows)
I wish.
 or what about...

 version( ONE || !TWO)
I wish again.
 3) can D do default values like c++? function(int num = 0)
 and you can either call function() for function(5)
Yep. For some time now. http://www.digitalmars.com/d/function.html
Cool.

 4) How would I convert the command #pragma warning( disable : 4800 )
 to D? I'm not too keen on pragmas.
In this case, I believe you'd just skip it. There's not much reason to ignore-flag warnings in a compiler that ordinarily doesn't do warnings anyhow. Although now that we have the -w switch maybe there should be a disable pragma... Not sure. I don't use -w all that often anyhow.
Yea, i'll just ignore it I guess. It is not so important in the scheme of things.

 -- Chris Sauls
Thanks ~ Clay
Oct 29 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
No. You need to do ... version(Windows) else { }

 or what about...

 version( ONE || !TWO)
No. You need to do ... version(ONE) version = X version(TWO) version = X version(X) { . . . } -- Derek Parnell Melbourne, Australia 29/10/2005 9:49:38 PM
Oct 29 2005
next sibling parent reply J C Calvarese <technocrat7 gmail.com> writes:
In article <98m793lpudd4$.1xzi56dp4vb37$.dlg 40tude.net>, Derek Parnell says...
No. You need to do ... version(Windows) else { }

 or what about...

 version( ONE || !TWO)
No. You need to do ... version(ONE) version = X version(TWO) version = X version(X) { . . . }
Actually it looks like he's trying to do "! TWO", so I'd use an else: version(ONE) version = X; version(TWO) {} else version = X; version(X) { . . . } Even uglier more verbose, but I think it'll work. jcc7
J C Calvarese wrote:
 In article <98m793lpudd4$.1xzi56dp4vb37$.dlg 40tude.net>, Derek Parnell says...

No. You need to do ... version(Windows) else { }
or what about...

version( ONE || !TWO)
No. You need to do ... version(ONE) version = X version(TWO) version = X version(X) { . . . }
Actually it looks like he's trying to do "! TWO", so I'd use an else: version(ONE) version = X; version(TWO) {} else version = X; version(X) { . . . } Even uglier more verbose, but I think it'll work. jcc7
Yup. :-P Adding a simple ! to the version would make things much better, && and || would be nice too, but I'm not sure how diffuclt these things would be to implement. I can live with 'else' for now. Thanks ~ Clay
Oct 29 2005
prev sibling parent clayasaurus <clayasaurus gmail.com> writes: