digitalmars.D.learn - Std.boxer toString() w/ Objects or Structs.

reply AJG <AJG_member pathlink.com> writes:
Hi,

I'm using boxes with relative ease and everything seems to be working properly.
I have a problem with the Box.toString() method, though. Is there a way to make
it work with objects or structs?

Thanks,
--AJG.
Aug 16 2005
parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <bhinkle mathworks.com> writes:
"AJG" <AJG_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:ddubsm$1llp$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Hi,

 I'm using boxes with relative ease and everything seems to be working
 properly.
 I have a problem with the Box.toString() method, though. Is there a way to
 make
 it work with objects or structs?

 Thanks,
 --AJG.
I can't reproduce any problem with objects - perhaps you mean interfaces? With structs there's no default toString. Note when boxing an interface I think you need to explicitly cast it to Object before boxing but I'm not sure.
Aug 17 2005
parent reply AJG <AJG_member pathlink.com> writes:
Hi,

So for example, what do you get here:

I get:
Test=nan

Or something like that. (Don't have a compiler available; please excuse any
typos in there).

I would like to get:
Test=4.2

------

Also, what does casting a struct to an Object do? Seems kinda weird, going from
value to reference?

Thanks,
--AJG.

In article <ddviv4$2u8f$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Ben Hinkle says...
[...]

I get Test=4.2 on Windows using dmd.129
 ------

 Also, what does casting a struct to an Object do? Seems kinda weird, going
 from
 value to reference?
If you are referring to my reply I said cast an interface to Object - not struct to Object. You can't cast a struct to Object as you probably guessed.
Aug 17 2005
parent reply AJG <AJG_member pathlink.com> writes:
Hi,

 Or something like that. (Don't have a compiler available; please excuse
 any typos in there).
 I would like to get:
 Test=4.2
I get Test=4.2 on Windows using dmd.129
Will have to try that again soon. Thanks.
 Also, what does casting a struct to an Object do? Seems kinda weird, going
 from
 value to reference?
If you are referring to my reply I said cast an interface to Object - not struct to Object. You can't cast a struct to Object as you probably guessed.
Whoops. Misread that sentence a little bit ;) Though I was kind of interested in the struct to object casting, hypothetically. Could be a way to automagically pass from the stack to the GC heap. Ok, anyway, then what is the expected result when you toString() a box with a struct? Is there a defined behaviour? Thanks again, --AJG.
Aug 17 2005
parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <ben.hinkle gmail.com> writes:
 Though I was kind of interested in the struct to object casting,
 hypothetically.
 Could be a way to automagically pass from the stack to the GC heap.

 Ok, anyway, then what is the expected result when you toString() a box
 with a
 struct? Is there a defined behaviour?
I think it does whatever std.format.doFormat does with a struct - probably throw a FormatError exception. ps - I wish Walter would do something about the Error vs Exception naming "convention"...
Aug 17 2005
parent AJG <AJG_member pathlink.com> writes:
Hi,

First- you were right about Objects. There was a ridiculously diabolical bug in
my code.

 Ok, anyway, then what is the expected result when you toString() a box
 with a
 struct? Is there a defined behaviour?
I think it does whatever std.format.doFormat does with a struct - probably throw a FormatError exception.
Hm... I even tried a toString() method in my struct and it still crashed and burnt. It would seem logical to me to call this method for a struct too.
ps - I wish Walter would do something about the Error vs Exception naming
"convention"...
Yes. This is entirely misleading. Thanks, --AJG.
Aug 17 2005