digitalmars.D.learn - std.path.getDirName is not working correct?

reply jicman <jicman_member pathlink.com> writes:
Greetings!

say,

char[] path = "c:\\logs\\somedir";
writef(std.path.getDirName(path));

will return "c:\logs" which is not correct.  It should return "c:\logs\somedir"
since somedir is the last directory.  If it was std.path.getParentDir, then I
would agree with the outcome.  However, getDirName should return the last
directory of the path.

Am I correct?  (Please be adviced that I have been wrong before. ;-))

thanks,

josé
Jul 09 2005
parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"jicman" <jicman_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:daou9m$2laq$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 char[] path = "c:\\logs\\somedir";
 writef(std.path.getDirName(path));
try char[] path="c:\\logs\\somedir\\"; I think it's thinking that "somedir" is a filename without an extension (since that's entirely possible). Also, just as a sidenote, to make it easier to write path strings, try WYSIWYG strings: char[] path=`c:\logs\somedir\`; ;)
Jul 09 2005
parent reply jicman <jicman_member pathlink.com> writes:
Jarrett Billingsley says...
"jicman" <jicman_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:daou9m$2laq$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 char[] path = "c:\\logs\\somedir";
 writef(std.path.getDirName(path));
try char[] path="c:\\logs\\somedir\\"; I think it's thinking that "somedir" is a filename without an extension (since that's entirely possible).
Yeah, this works, however, this will be an input from the user. I guess that's another check that I'll have to make. I would have thought that the function would check to whether the last item was a file or not.
Also, just as a sidenote, to make it easier to write path strings, try
WYSIWYG strings:

char[] path=`c:\logs\somedir\`;
:-) Yes, I use this also. or char[] path = r"c:\logs\somedir"; :-) thanks, jic
Jul 09 2005
next sibling parent "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"jicman" <jicman_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:dap30j$2pjc$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Yeah, this works, however, this will be an input from the user.  I guess
 that's
 another check that I'll have to make.  I would have thought that the
 function
 would check to whether the last item was a file or not.
You could check it. Just see if the last character is a '\\' or a '/', and if not, append one.
Jul 09 2005
prev sibling parent reply "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"jicman" <jicman_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:dap30j$2pjc$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Yeah, this works, however, this will be an input from the user.  I guess
that's
 another check that I'll have to make.  I would have thought that the
function
 would check to whether the last item was a file or not.
It doesn't. It only looks at the form of the string. To test what the things are, that is what the functions in std.file are for.
Jul 09 2005
parent reply "Shawn Liu" <liuxuhong.cn gmail.com> writes:
I think std.path.getDirName() should check whether the input string is
directory or not. If not append "\" or "/", then get the dir name.

std.file.isdir() can do a check easily.

"Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com>
дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ:dapntc$aj4$2 digitaldaemon.com...
 "jicman" <jicman_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
 news:dap30j$2pjc$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Yeah, this works, however, this will be an input from the user.  I guess
that's
 another check that I'll have to make.  I would have thought that the
function
 would check to whether the last item was a file or not.
It doesn't. It only looks at the form of the string. To test what the things are, that is what the functions in std.file are for.
Jul 10 2005
parent reply Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
Shawn Liu wrote:
 I think std.path.getDirName() should check whether the input string is
 directory or not. If not append "\" or "/", then get the dir name.

 std.file.isdir() can do a check easily.
Jul 18 2005
parent reply jicman <jicman_member pathlink.com> writes:
Stewart Gordon says...
Shawn Liu wrote:
 I think std.path.getDirName() should check whether the input string is
 directory or not. If not append "\" or "/", then get the dir name.

 std.file.isdir() can do a check easily.
<snip top of upside-down reply> That's because inspecting the local file system is part of the scope of std.file. OTOH, the scope of std.path is to be a collection of string manipulation functions. As such, they don't care about the contents of the local file system, nor whether the pathnames involved even relate to the machine you're running on.
Yeah, that's all fine and dandy, however, the function should work properly, or should be named properly or explained properly (too many uses of properly in this sentence is not proper), or not even be written up. If it is string manupulationg functions, it should be in the string functions and explained that these functions are just simulations of what a path libraries should do and do no checking. Nonetheless, if they are made for handling paths, then, every possible properly built path should be taken into consideration. Otherwise, why make the library if they are only going to work half-way? I love libraries, but, they must work fully, otherwise they should not be out there. I am sorry that I am being such a pain with this, but I have spend too many hours trying to go through my code, thinking that it was my logic, when after figuring it out, it was the defective library functions. I still love D and I am sticking with it. I just don't like it when people defend anything without reasoning. I guess I am going to have to write my own libraries for handling paths. thanks, josé
Jul 19 2005
parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <bhinkle mathworks.com> writes:
"jicman" <jicman_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:dbjkel$jsq$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Stewart Gordon says...
Shawn Liu wrote:
[...]

The current phobos behavior matches what I would expect from my Perl (fileparse) and MATLAB (fileparts) experience. Is there an API that you use that checks for the directory existence? Probably the doc could use some work to make it more explicit that the path functions just parse strings.
Jul 19 2005
In article <dbjlob$le8$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Ben Hinkle says...
Shawn Liu wrote:
[...]

I will test this out with perl and python. I just don't have the time, right now.
 Is there an API that you use that checks for the directory existence?
JScript. It works as it's suppose to.
Probably the doc could use some
work to make it more explicit that the path functions just parse strings.
I wish I had the time, I would help with it. I just don't have it. thanks, josé
Jul 19 2005