digitalmars.D.announce - D DBI has been revived

reply James Pelcis <jpelcis gmail.com> writes:
Hello Everyone.

A bit over a year ago, Jeremy Cowgar started this project. While he did
an excellent job, he hasn’t been heard from in over a year. I started
working on this project in April and I hope to do as well as Jeremy did,
but be here to stay.

D DBI has also been updated today to version 0.2.0. The information is
available on the changelog at
http://www.dsource.org/projects/ddbi/wiki/ChangeLog. The API was
slightly changed, so be sure to take a look at it.

Brad has informed me that he is working on FreeTDS, which should give us
MSSQL and Sybase support. I have also been working on interfacing D DBI
to several other databases. The three that I currently have under
development are InterBase, mSQL, and Oracle. Which of those do you think
should be my highest priority?

With luck and a little work, hopefully D DBI can become as well known as
the Perl DBI library.

James Pelcis
Jun 27 2006
next sibling parent Charles D Hixson <charleshixsn earthlink.net> writes:
James Pelcis wrote:
[...]

I don't know the Perl DBI libraries, but one of the problems I have with Python's database libraries is that they keys are always coerced into being strings...which does foul things to their sort, if they are integers, say, and also means that you are frequently doing things like converting keys back and forth (I'd occasionally like to save a record by epochal time...possibly extended to 64 bits, that would allow me to record events as accurately as the system clock will report until the end of the universe, but not if I have to do it as a string. In that case I need to figure a 7-bit character code (minus the control characters unless I like asking for trouble) packing of the data. Ugh! (Just thought I'd mention while you are still designing the thing.)
Jun 27 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "BLS" <lietz wanadoo.fr> writes:
Hi James,
I vote for Oracle.(and probabely I am able to contribute the Open Ingres
interface)
I still wonder wether it is possible to create something similar to gnome db
http://www.gnome-db.org/  based on D DBI and DWT.
Bjoern

"James Pelcis" <jpelcis gmail.com> schreef in bericht
news:e7sfb6$57h$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

Jun 28 2006
parent James Pelcis <jpelcis gmail.com> writes:
BLS wrote:
 Hi James,
 I vote for Oracle.(and probably I am able to contribute the Open Ingres
 interface)
 I still wonder whether it is possible to create something similar to gnome db
 http://www.gnome-db.org/  based on D DBI and DWT.
 Bjoern
It would be great if you could provide an interface to Ingres. I've never used GNOME-DB, but it looks like a great project and it should be possible to make something similar with D DBI and DWT. I think it should be a separate project though. Any takers?
Jun 28 2006
prev sibling parent Manfred Hansen <m.hansen kielnet.net> writes:
James Pelcis wrote:

[...]

Very good. Manfred
Jun 28 2006