digitalmars.D.announce - D is featured in the May issue of Bitwise magazine

reply Walter Bright <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
http://www.bitwisemag.com/copy/programming/d/interview/d_programming_language.html
http://www.bitwisemag.com/copy/programming/d/opinion/d_programming_language.html

Bitwise Magazine
     www.bitwisemag.com
Dark Neon Ltd.
Apr 29 2006
next sibling parent Dave <Dave_member pathlink.com> writes:
Walter Bright wrote:

 http://www.bitwisemag.com/copy/programming/d/interview/d_progr
mming_language.html

 http://www.bitwisemag.com/copy/programming/d/opinion/d_progr
mming_language.html

 Bitwise Magazine
     www.bitwisemag.com
 Dark Neon Ltd.
Wow - a great set of articles!
Apr 29 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Unknown W. Brackets" <unknown simplemachines.org> writes:
Pardon me, but why is there a screenshot of a C program and compiling it
with DMC on the D page?

It has the caption:

"Ah! The good old days! A DOS box, a text editor and a C compiler (here,
in fact, a D compiler) …it takes me back. I got quite misty eyed over
this example."

Also, the program "hello.c" does not look exactly... bug-proof.  Perhaps
I'm mistaken.

Oh, well.

-[Unknown]

parent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Unknown W. Brackets wrote:

 http://www.bitwisemag.com/copy/programming/d/opinion/d_progr
mming_language.html
 Pardon me, but why is there a screenshot of a C program and compiling it
 with DMC on the D page?
It's been changed into "hello.d" now. However, it's still using some questionable practices, that is: int main(char[][] args) { printf("hello world\n"); printf("args.length = %d\n", args.length); for (int i = 0; i < args.length; i++) printf("args[%d] = '%s'\n", i, cast(char *)args[i]); return 0; } Both printf and that cast are just "crashes waiting to happen", and we also have our friend "the missing: import std.c.stdio;"... However, if you convert it over to something more in D - like: import std.stdio; void main(char[][] args) { writefln("hello world"); writef("args.length = ", args.length, "\n"); foreach (int i, char[] arg; args) writefln("args[%d] = '%s'", i ,arg); } Then you must also make sure to include instructions to set the console/terminal over to UTF-8, or run into the famous i18n "bug": hello world args.length = 3 args[0] = './hello' args[1] = 'abc' args[2] = 'Error: 4invalid UTF-8 sequence But I don't think that is "reason enough" to stick with old printf, just because that it works with the legacy encodings out of the box. Still, it would be nice if we could get all these "introductory" items addressed - before there are any newcomers to D that are scared off ? Hope the new sites will help with this. --anders
May 09 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent "charles" <admin tdjonline.com> writes:
Good interview !

news:e30atd$1atq$1 digitaldaemon.com...

prev sibling parent Bruno Medeiros <brunodomedeirosATgmail SPAM.com> writes:
Walter Bright wrote:

 http://www.bitwisemag.com/copy/programming/d/interview/d_progr
mming_language.html

 http://www.bitwisemag.com/copy/programming/d/opinion/d_progr
mming_language.html

 Bitwise Magazine
     www.bitwisemag.com
 Dark Neon Ltd.
"D is going wherever the D community wants it to go." - Walter Whoa, so that mean we're finally going to have proper bools in D? *g* -- Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?BrunoMedeiros#D
May 03 2006