digitalmars.D.announce - #D on IRC

reply "Chris Miller" <chris dprogramming.com> writes:
The D chat room on IRC has grown to a fine community recently. Peak
concurrent users of 30 with an average of 20.

We'd like more D users to stop by! It's channel #D on IRC network
chat.freenode.net. More information at
http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?IRC

We also set up channel statistics at
http://www.dprogramming.com/irc/stats.html

Hope to see you there!
Feb 08 2006
next sibling parent reply pragma <pragma_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <op.s4n7bcrapo9bzi moe>, Chris Miller says...
The D chat room on IRC has grown to a fine community recently. Peak
concurrent users of 30 with an average of 20.

We'd like more D users to stop by! It's channel #D on IRC network
chat.freenode.net. More information at
http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?IRC

We also set up channel statistics at
http://www.dprogramming.com/irc/stats.html

Hope to see you there!
I had a blast last time I was in there... which brings me to my latest cry for help. :( AFAIK, it seems that there's an issue with Gaim trying to co-exist with Gimp or Inkscape due to each using a different version of GTK+ on Windows (GTK+ won't do side-by-side versioning either). Can anyone reccomend a GAIM replacement that'll do chat and IRC? Or to put this in a more on-topic way: what is the offical/reccomended client for D IRC users? ;) - Eric Anderton at yahoo
Feb 08 2006
next sibling parent Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
 Or to put this in a more on-topic way: what is the offical/reccomended client
 for D IRC users? ;)
Opera, of course ;-) -- Derek (skype: derek.j.parnell) Melbourne, Australia "Down with mediocracy!" 9/02/2006 10:29:45 AM
Feb 08 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
pragma wrote:
 In article <op.s4n7bcrapo9bzi moe>, Chris Miller says...
 The D chat room on IRC has grown to a fine community recently. Peak
 concurrent users of 30 with an average of 20.

 We'd like more D users to stop by! It's channel #D on IRC network
 chat.freenode.net. More information at
 http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?IRC

 We also set up channel statistics at
 http://www.dprogramming.com/irc/stats.html

 Hope to see you there!
I had a blast last time I was in there... which brings me to my latest cry for help. :( AFAIK, it seems that there's an issue with Gaim trying to co-exist with Gimp or Inkscape due to each using a different version of GTK+ on Windows (GTK+ won't do side-by-side versioning either). Can anyone reccomend a GAIM replacement that'll do chat and IRC?
Trillian does IRC if you really want to do it from an IM client. Firefox also has built-in IRC capability, try irc://irc.freenode.net Personally, I use mIRC as I find it's a bit more flexible. Sean
Feb 08 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent "Chris Miller" <chris dprogramming.com> writes:
On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 18:25:00 -0500, pragma <pragma_member pathlink.com>
 Or to put this in a more on-topic way: what is the offical/reccomended
 client
 for D IRC users? ;)

 - Eric Anderton at yahoo
mIRC (www.mirc.com) is currently the most popular Windows IRC client used on #D Also used: HydraIRC, Opera, Trillian, xchat.
Feb 08 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent Markus Dangl <danglm in.tum.de> writes:
 I had a blast last time I was in there... which brings me to my latest cry for
 help. :(

 AFAIK, it seems that there's an issue with Gaim trying to co-exist with Gimp or
 Inkscape due to each using a different version of GTK+ on Windows (GTK+ won't
do
 side-by-side versioning either).  Can anyone reccomend a GAIM replacement
 that'll do chat and IRC?
I'm using Miranda ( http://miranda-im.org/ ) solely because it is open source :)
Feb 08 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent Kyle Furlong <kylefurlong gmail.com> writes:
pragma wrote:
[...]

I would use either mIRC or miranda. I personally use mIRC (its most mature one around)
Feb 08 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent "Charles" <noone nowhere.com> writes:
I moved from mIRC to Hydra, I got tired of looking at mIRC's 'Plain C Win32
implementation'.

Charlie

"pragma" <pragma_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:dsdukc$2f2j$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

Feb 09 2006
prev sibling parent reply Yves Jacoby <kloune gmail.com> writes:
[...]

Just to add one, for all the non windows users. Irssi is the best :-)
Feb 09 2006
parent reply Lars Ivar Igesund <larsivar igesund.net> writes:
Yves Jacoby wrote:

[...]

Well, actually Konversation is even better ;) At least for KDE users.
Feb 09 2006
parent pragma <pragma_member pathlink.com> writes:
Thanks everyone, for all your responses.

Once I'm settled into my 'lab' at home, I'll be downloading a new client.

See you on #d!

- Eric Anderton at yahoo
Feb 10 2006
prev sibling parent Bruno Medeiros <daiphoenixNO SPAMlycos.com> writes:
Chris Miller wrote:
 The D chat room on IRC has grown to a fine community recently. Peak
 concurrent users of 30 with an average of 20.

 We'd like more D users to stop by! It's channel #D on IRC network
 chat.freenode.net. More information at
 http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?IRC

 We also set up channel statistics at
 http://www.dprogramming.com/irc/stats.html

 Hope to see you there!
And with that growth came some management problems. I used to have the IRC client notify me when someone talked, but it's not pratical anymore, as there's a lot of talk now (also with some occasional offtopics :/ ). I now only watch it now occasionally, or on particular notifications. -- Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student "Certain aspects of D are a pathway to many abilities some consider to be... unnatural."
Feb 12 2006