digitalmars.D.announce - DMD 0.138 release

reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
I know everyone is waiting for shared library support, and this isn't it.
However, the compiler will now generate PIC code with the -fPIC flag. Now I
have to figure out how to make .so files work with module construction,
exception handling, and garbage collection.

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/changelog.html
Nov 06 2005
next sibling parent reply "Ameer Armaly" <ameer_armaly hotmail.com> writes:
"Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:dklqre$19t9$1 digitaldaemon.com...
I know everyone is waiting for shared library support, and this isn't it.
 However, the compiler will now generate PIC code with the -fPIC flag. Now
 have to figure out how to make .so files work with module construction,
 exception handling, and garbage collection.
It's a step in the right direction; hopefully we'll have it working soon. I remembered reading once about certain types of functions that were in affect library constructors, maybe this concept could help us in some form?
 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/changelog.html

Nov 06 2005
parent "Ameer Armaly" <ameer_armaly hotmail.com> writes:
"Ameer Armaly" <ameer_armaly hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:dkm3pi$1gsi$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> wrote in message
 news:dklqre$19t9$1 digitaldaemon.com...
I know everyone is waiting for shared library support, and this isn't it.
 However, the compiler will now generate PIC code with the -fPIC flag. Now
 have to figure out how to make .so files work with module construction,
 exception handling, and garbage collection.
It's a step in the right direction; hopefully we'll have it working soon. I remembered reading once about certain types of functions that were in affect library constructors, maybe this concept could help us in some form?
To elaborate, they were attributes given to certain functions, where they would be called before main() and another attribute for those that were called after it, in short constructors and destructors.
prev sibling next sibling parent clayasaurus <clayasaurus gmail.com> writes:
Walter Bright wrote:
 I know everyone is waiting for shared library support, and this isn't it.
 However, the compiler will now generate PIC code with the -fPIC flag. Now I
 have to figure out how to make .so files work with module construction,
 exception handling, and garbage collection.

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/changelog.html

Shared libraries will be a very much appreciated addition to DMD. Good luck getting there. :) ~ Clay
Nov 06 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:dklqre$19t9$1 digitaldaemon.com...
I know everyone is waiting for shared library support, and this isn't it.
 However, the compiler will now generate PIC code with the -fPIC flag. Now
 have to figure out how to make .so files work with module construction,
 exception handling, and garbage collection.
I did something! Whoo! Now, let's get started on using out/inout at call site and namespacing... ;)
Nov 06 2005
prev sibling parent reply Bruno Medeiros <daiphoenixNO SPAMlycos.com> writes:
Walter, can you tell us something about some pertinent issues that have
been unanswered so far:

Entity name shadowing: valid or not ?
http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?digitalmars.D.learn/1979

Mixins and protection attributes
http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?digitalmars.D/29370

how does this nested class thing work?
http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?digitalmars.D/29443
Namely, on this issue, can one not instantiate an inner class using the
outer class externaly, like this? :
   Outer outer = new Outer();
   Inner Inner = new outer.Inner();

--
Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student
"Certain aspects of D are a pathway to many abilities some consider to
parent "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
I'll have to look at those some more. -Walter
Nov 07 2005