digitalmars.D - Using ddmd to tighten up imports
"Joakim" <dlang joakim.fea.st> writes:
I wanted a tool to help me find imported symbols, so that I can import a module and use whatever I want from it initially (import std.stdio;) then go back and selectively add the symbols I actually used later (import std.stdio : writefln, writeln;). Using ddmd to dump this info seemed enticing, so I contacted Daniel and got him to push his latest ddmd port from a few weeks ago: https://github.com/yebblies/dmd/tree/newmagic This new ddmd branch is only tested on Win32: it sometimes segfaults in codegen on Linux/x86, but the frontend is all that's needed so that's fine. I looked through the ddmd source and found the spot in dsymbol.d where the imported symbols are resolved. I dumped those resolved symbols and disabled codegen in mars.d, so that I don't have to see any segfaults. The tiny patch is here: https://gist.github.com/joakim-noah/09cf49bee3d82b03a54f There's no real reason to use ddmd- regular dmd can be used instead with a slightly modified version of this patch- but I'd like to see others use the ddmd frontend to write more tools like this, so I'll detail the steps I took to build and use ddmd. First, I pulled Dan's branch into my local dmd repo and checked it out: git remote add -t newmagic ddmd https://github.com/yebblies/dmd.git git fetch ddmd git checkout -b newmagic ddmd/newmagic Then, I built dmd and ddmd, after making sure I had a dmd.conf and phobos built, as ddmd relies on phobos: make -f posix.mak cd src make -f posix.mak ddmd I applied the above patch and rebuilt ddmd: git apply import.patch make -f posix.mak ddmd Finally, I ran it on a sample file: ./ddmd ../samples/sieve.d That dumps out 2054 instances of symbols that are resolved from either the sample file or all the other modules it imports. To see only what the sample file imports: ./ddmd ../samples/sieve.d | grep "from ../samples/sieve.d" found writefln from ../samples/sieve.d:12 in ./../../phobos/std/stdio.d:3063 - 'writefln(T...)(T args)' found writefln from ../samples/sieve.d:39 in ./../../phobos/std/stdio.d:3063 - 'writefln(T...)(T args)' That shows two invocations of writefln from sieve.d and where they were imported from. I tried running this modified ddmd on std.stdio (ddmd -c ../../phobos/std/stdio.d) and more narrowly scoping some of the imports, PR in progress: https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/2809 However, I found that the more narrowly scoped imports in std.stdio would compile fine with dmd, but the entire phobos would not. Turns out the problem is that imported symbols from templates are not searched for if the module is compiled without instantiating them, so I got around this by building the unit tests: ./ddmd -unittest ../../phobos/std/stdio.d | grep "from ../../phobos/std/stdio.d" That found many more resolved symbols- 764 instances of resolved symbol imports as opposed to 156 when simply compiling the module- and after updating std.stdio with those new symbols, I had no problem building phobos or running its unit tests. Obviously, this simple output can be cleaned up and made much more user-friendly and a lot more such tools can be built using the ddmd frontend. Another cleanup I'd like to use is to write code with auto types everywhere, then employ a similar tool to replace them with the actual inferred types, saving me from looking up the types. I hope this spurs others to try building similar tools based on the ddmd frontend, happy ddmd spelunking!
Dec 25 2014
ketmar via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d puremagic.com> writes:
On Thu, 25 Dec 2014 19:09:31 +0000 Joakim via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d puremagic.com> wrote:I hope this spurs others to try building similar tools based on=20 the ddmd frontend, happy ddmd spelunking!thank you. this should make some people's lives easier, especially those who aren't into git and command line at all. ;-)
Dec 25 2014