www.digitalmars.com         C & C++   DMDScript  

digitalmars.D - Bug fix over a year old

reply Jonathan Marler <johnnymarler gmail.com> writes:
I created this PR to fix a bug over a year ago.

https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/8121

It sat around for a couple months so I eventually closed it.  I 
recently re-opened it in the hopes that with the re-organization 
someone would look at it.  Could someone take a look?
May 28
parent reply Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 5/28/2019 10:28 AM, Jonathan Marler wrote:
 I created this PR to fix a bug over a year ago.
 
 https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/8121
 
 It sat around for a couple months so I eventually closed it.  I recently 
 re-opened it in the hopes that with the re-organization someone would look at 
 it.  Could someone take a look?
 
There's no purpose to closing things on github just because they've aged below the fold.
Jun 03
next sibling parent reply Russel Winder <russel winder.org.uk> writes:
On Mon, 2019-06-03 at 12:07 -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
=20
[=E2=80=A6]
 There's no purpose to closing things on github just because they've
 aged below=20
 the fold.
Lots of projects delete all open issues that are over x months old (for some x usually > 12 and < 36) entirely for marketing purposes of not having old issues that are not actioned. Seems like un-professional behaviour to me. =20 --=20 Russel. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 London SW11 1EN, UK w: www.russel.org.uk
Jun 03
next sibling parent reply Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 6/3/2019 12:52 PM, Russel Winder wrote:
 Lots of projects delete all open issues that are over x months old (for
 some x usually > 12 and < 36) entirely for marketing purposes of not
 having old issues that are not actioned. Seems like un-professional
 behaviour to me.
I agree that closing a bug report or a PR is inappropriate if done for the following reasons: 1. marketing 2. anger (this has happened to us now and then) 3. age I did create a special label "Phantom Zone" to place PRs in that still have value even if they are not appropriate to pull. For example, maybe the time just hasn't come for it yet, or there's useful information in it that can help a future better solution. --- Irrelevant story time: Back in the 80s, I kept a bug list as a simple text file (yes, I'm that old, I wasn't even using email yet as a bug database). I included the file with the compiler on the shipped disks (yes, that is really old, too, and Pony Express was the preferred shipping method, the Amazon Prime of the 1980s). One computer magazine did a "compiler roundup" article, and they destroyed my compiler by simply copy/pasting that text file as their "review". I guess no good deed goes unpunished. I haven't changed my mind, however, about hiding the bug list for marketing porpoises.
Jun 03
next sibling parent reply "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh quickfur.ath.cx> writes:
On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 01:17:02PM -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
 I guess no good deed goes unpunished. I haven't changed my mind,
 however, about hiding the bug list for marketing porpoises.
[...] Marketing is run by porpoises? That... explains a lot. :-D T -- "Hi." "'Lo."
Jun 03
parent reply Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 6/3/2019 2:44 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
 On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 01:17:02PM -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
 I guess no good deed goes unpunished. I haven't changed my mind,
 however, about hiding the bug list for marketing porpoises.
Marketing is run by porpoises? That... explains a lot. :-D
Just chicken to see if anyone reads my posts :-)
Aug 10
parent "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh quickfur.ath.cx> writes:
On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 12:58:42AM -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
 On 6/3/2019 2:44 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
 On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 01:17:02PM -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
 I guess no good deed goes unpunished. I haven't changed my mind,
 however, about hiding the bug list for marketing porpoises.
Marketing is run by porpoises? That... explains a lot. :-D
Just chicken to see if anyone reads my posts :-)
That ... eggsplains a few other things too(!). T -- Answer: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion. Question: Why is top posting bad?
Aug 11
prev sibling parent bauss <jj_1337 live.dk> writes:
On Monday, 3 June 2019 at 20:17:02 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 Back in the 80s, I kept a bug list as a simple text file (yes, 
 I'm that old, I wasn't even using email yet as a bug database).
I do this and I'm not even old. Of course I still use things like Github Issues etc. but for some projects it's just easier to do it in ex. a text file because there are so few bugs.
Aug 10
prev sibling parent reply JN <666total wp.pl> writes:
On Monday, 3 June 2019 at 19:52:34 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
 On Mon, 2019-06-03 at 12:07 -0700, Walter Bright via 
 Digitalmars-d wrote:
 
[…]
 There's no purpose to closing things on github just because 
 they've
 aged below
 the fold.
Lots of projects delete all open issues that are over x months old (for some x usually > 12 and < 36) entirely for marketing purposes of not having old issues that are not actioned. Seems like un-professional behaviour to me.
The proper course of action would be to go through old bugs and verify them whether they can be closed (D1 bugs, bugs in phobos modules that don't exist anymore, bugs in deprecated featuers) or whether they still are reproducible (can't reproduce - can't fix) in latest version.
Jun 04
next sibling parent Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 6/4/2019 2:08 PM, JN wrote:
 The proper course of action would be to go through old bugs and verify them 
 whether they can be closed (D1 bugs, bugs in phobos modules that don't exist 
 anymore, bugs in deprecated featuers) or whether they still are reproducible 
 (can't reproduce - can't fix) in latest version.
If you want to dig in and help with this, your help is welcome!
Aug 10
prev sibling parent reply RazvanN <razvan.nitu1305 gmail.com> writes:
On Tuesday, 4 June 2019 at 21:08:35 UTC, JN wrote:
 On Monday, 3 June 2019 at 19:52:34 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
 On Mon, 2019-06-03 at 12:07 -0700, Walter Bright via 
 Digitalmars-d wrote:
 
[…]
 There's no purpose to closing things on github just because 
 they've
 aged below
 the fold.
Lots of projects delete all open issues that are over x months old (for some x usually > 12 and < 36) entirely for marketing purposes of not having old issues that are not actioned. Seems like un-professional behaviour to me.
The proper course of action would be to go through old bugs and verify them whether they can be closed (D1 bugs, bugs in phobos modules that don't exist anymore, bugs in deprecated featuers) or whether they still are reproducible (can't reproduce - can't fix) in latest version.
For the past 1 month I started looking at the oldest bugs for dmd, closing the D1 only bugs and trying to fix those that I know how to fix. You will see that there are only 6 bugs with an id < 1000 (in dmd) now, while there were more than 30 when I started. It's a slow process because many of the old bugs are really hard to fix, but I hope that at some point I will have closed all issues < 3000.
Aug 10
parent jmh530 <john.michael.hall gmail.com> writes:
On Saturday, 10 August 2019 at 11:10:14 UTC, RazvanN wrote:
 

 For the past 1 month I started looking at the oldest bugs for 
 dmd, closing the D1 only bugs and trying to fix those that I 
 know how to fix. You will see that there are only 6 bugs with 
 an id < 1000 (in dmd) now, while there were more than 30 when I 
 started. It's a slow process because many of the old bugs are 
 really hard to fix, but I hope that at some point I will have 
 closed all issues < 3000.
Wow. Good luck.
Aug 10
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh quickfur.ath.cx> writes:
On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 08:52:34PM +0100, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d wrote:
 On Mon, 2019-06-03 at 12:07 -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
 wrote:
 […]
 There's no purpose to closing things on github just because they've
 aged below the fold.
Lots of projects delete all open issues that are over x months old (for some x usually > 12 and < 36) entirely for marketing purposes of not having old issues that are not actioned. Seems like un-professional behaviour to me.
[...] It's common practice. Doesn't make it right, though. T -- Shin: (n.) A device for finding furniture in the dark.
Jun 03
parent reply Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 6/3/2019 1:19 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
 It's common practice.  Doesn't make it right, though.
We're not doing it. Although proposals come by now and then to do such purges, I've been able to stop them before they've been implemented.
Jun 03
next sibling parent Jonathan Marler <johnnymarler gmail.com> writes:
On Monday, 3 June 2019 at 20:43:18 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 On 6/3/2019 1:19 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
 It's common practice.  Doesn't make it right, though.
We're not doing it. Although proposals come by now and then to do such purges, I've been able to stop them before they've been implemented.
I'm glad you maintain this view even after that article. I agree bug reports shouldn't be closed unless they are actually fixed.
Jun 03
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Nicholas Wilson <iamthewilsonator hotmail.com> writes:
On Monday, 3 June 2019 at 20:43:18 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 On 6/3/2019 1:19 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
 It's common practice.  Doesn't make it right, though.
We're not doing it. Although proposals come by now and then to do such purges, I've been able to stop them before they've been implemented.
*cough* D1 bug reports *cough*
Jun 03
parent reply Russel Winder <russel winder.org.uk> writes:
On Tue, 2019-06-04 at 00:16 +0000, Nicholas Wilson via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
 On Monday, 3 June 2019 at 20:43:18 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 On 6/3/2019 1:19 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
 It's common practice.  Doesn't make it right, though.
=20 We're not doing it. Although proposals come by now and then to=20 do such purges, I've been able to stop them before they've been=20 implemented.
=20 *cough* D1 bug reports *cough*
Are they issues/merge requests still applicable to the D mainmline codebase? If yes, then edit it to remove the D1 label; if no, close the issue/merge request as being no longer relevant to the codebase. =20 --=20 Russel. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 London SW11 1EN, UK w: www.russel.org.uk
Jun 04
parent Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 6/4/2019 12:32 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
 On Tue, 2019-06-04 at 00:16 +0000, Nicholas Wilson via Digitalmars-d
 *cough* D1 bug reports *cough*
Are they issues/merge requests still applicable to the D mainmline codebase? If yes, then edit it to remove the D1 label; if no, close the issue/merge request as being no longer relevant to the codebase.
The D1 only ones were all tagged as D1. You can find 94 such open issues: https://issues.dlang.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&component=dmd&list_id=227300&product=D&query_format=advanced&version=D1%20%28retired%29
Aug 10
prev sibling parent reply Exil <Exil gmall.com> writes:
On Monday, 3 June 2019 at 20:43:18 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 On 6/3/2019 1:19 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
 It's common practice.  Doesn't make it right, though.
We're not doing it. Although proposals come by now and then to do such purges, I've been able to stop them before they've been implemented.
The bigger problem is how it is completely unmanaged. There's no one that reviews the reported issues and sets a severity level. That's all set by whoever makes the report. I've come across a few issues that are solved, either that they always worked and were never really issues. Or they were inadvertently fixed by something else. There's also a lot of easy issues that aren't flagged as easy to fix cause no one is reviewing them, and the person that reports them may not know. This all creates noise for issues being resolved. People looking for issues will find them, it not a good enough excuse. It basically translates to, this list is only for people that have the time to waste looking through an unmanaged mess.
Jun 04
parent reply Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 6/4/2019 7:26 AM, Exil wrote:
 The bigger problem is how it is completely unmanaged. There's no one that 
 reviews the reported issues and sets a severity level. That's all set by
whoever 
 makes the report. I've come across a few issues that are solved, either that 
 they always worked and were never really issues. Or they were inadvertently 
 fixed by something else.
Did you update their bugzilla status?
Aug 10
parent reply Exil <Exil gmall.com> writes:
On Saturday, 10 August 2019 at 07:57:04 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 On 6/4/2019 7:26 AM, Exil wrote:
 The bigger problem is how it is completely unmanaged. There's 
 no one that reviews the reported issues and sets a severity 
 level. That's all set by whoever makes the report. I've come 
 across a few issues that are solved, either that they always 
 worked and were never really issues. Or they were 
 inadvertently fixed by something else.
Did you update their bugzilla status?
Nope, I've closed reports in the past that were duplicates, had no replies or any interest. Until I closed it, then there people fighting over it, one person saying they were going to work on it. They never did work on it. Its the wild west, I'm not going to make changes to it when anyone can undo those changes.
Aug 10
parent reply Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 8/10/2019 6:10 AM, Exil wrote:
 On Saturday, 10 August 2019 at 07:57:04 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 On 6/4/2019 7:26 AM, Exil wrote:
 The bigger problem is how it is completely unmanaged. There's no one that 
 reviews the reported issues and sets a severity level. That's all set by 
 whoever makes the report. I've come across a few issues that are solved, 
 either that they always worked and were never really issues. Or they were 
 inadvertently fixed by something else.
Did you update their bugzilla status?
Nope, I've closed reports in the past that were duplicates, had no replies or any interest.
Closing issues that have no replies or interest is not helpful. I asked if you updated the status for issues that are solved or always worked.
 I'm not going to make changes to it when anyone can undo those changes.
I'd reopen any issues that were closed just because they were old, too.
Aug 10
parent reply Seb <seb wilzba.ch> writes:
On Saturday, 10 August 2019 at 21:22:52 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 On 8/10/2019 6:10 AM, Exil wrote:
 On Saturday, 10 August 2019 at 07:57:04 UTC, Walter Bright 
 wrote:
 On 6/4/2019 7:26 AM, Exil wrote:
 The bigger problem is how it is completely unmanaged. 
 There's no one that reviews the reported issues and sets a 
 severity level. That's all set by whoever makes the report. 
 I've come across a few issues that are solved, either that 
 they always worked and were never really issues. Or they 
 were inadvertently fixed by something else.
Did you update their bugzilla status?
Nope, I've closed reports in the past that were duplicates, had no replies or any interest.
Closing issues that have no replies or interest is not helpful. I asked if you updated the status for issues that are solved or always worked.
That's not true in the general case: there are many issues where you can't reach the reporter and he didn't leave a way to reproduce the issue. Then, there's simply no hope to fix the issue.
Aug 10
parent Walter Bright <newshound2 digitalmars.com> writes:
On 8/10/2019 2:31 PM, Seb wrote:
 That's not true in the general case: there are many issues where you can't
reach 
 the reporter and he didn't leave a way to reproduce the issue. Then, there's 
 simply no hope to fix the issue.
That's different. I was talking about closing issues just because they were old.
Aug 10
prev sibling parent Jonathan Marler <johnnymarler gmail.com> writes:
On Monday, 3 June 2019 at 19:07:36 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
 On 5/28/2019 10:28 AM, Jonathan Marler wrote:
 I created this PR to fix a bug over a year ago.
 
 https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/8121
 
 It sat around for a couple months so I eventually closed it.  
 I recently re-opened it in the hopes that with the 
 re-organization someone would look at it.  Could someone take 
 a look?
 
There's no purpose to closing things on github just because they've aged below the fold.
The purpose was to remove it from my "Pull Request" list on Github so I wouldn't have to think about it anymore. It's quite frustrating to submit bug fixes for things you need to be fixed and then have no one respond to them for months. So rather than having to look at that pull request and be reminded of that frustration everyday, after a few months I decided to close it to relieve that frustration. Luckily now people are looking at my pull requests. Thanks to TheWilsonator, Seb (wilzbach), Mike Franklin (jinshil), Jacob Carlborg. The hope was that because of the recent re-org and changes that maybe now I could get the bug fix in. Of course I still have to deal with the frustration of being misunderstood. I spend alot of time explaining what my pull requests are doing but much of the time people don't seem to read the full description and/or related links (i.e. forum posts/bugzilla) before deciding to voice their opposition to the change. It's a very frustrating position to be in as I have no recourse.
Jun 03