digitalmars.D - Linker problems with static libraries

reply Nick <Nick_member pathlink.com> writes:
I am trying compile etc.bigint from Deimos into a static library (in linux), but
I am having huge problems! Am I just doing something stupid, or is this a dmd
bug?

I try the following:
Compile all .d files with dmd -c (everything compiles)
Gather all .o files: ar rcs libbigint.a *.o
Compile the following program:

--------------
import etc.bigint.bigint;
import std.stdio;

void main()
{
Int i = Int(2);
i = i * 12;
writefln(i.toInt);
writefln(i.toString);
}
--------------

with dmd inttest.d -L-lbigint

This compiles but linking gives lots of undefined references. Most are to the
Int invariant, but some are to _d_switch_string or similar. Giving bigint_int.o
explicitly to dmd removes the errors, except one reference to _d_switch_string.
For some reason including radix.o removes this error as well. (Both these should
already be part of libbigint.a).

The program outputs the following when run:
24
Segmentation Fault

Can anyone reproduce this error? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick
Aug 27 2004
next sibling parent Nick <Nick_member pathlink.com> writes:
Ignore the segfault below, I've traced it down to an unrelated error.

In article <cgncq3$1le5$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Nick says...

prev sibling next sibling parent reply Arcane Jill <Arcane_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cgncq3$1le5$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Nick says...

Oh no! I hope someone can help you sort this out, because I've only ever tested
this on Windows. Assuming you succeed, I'd really like to understand both the
problem and its resolution.

I wish I could help, but I'm just not a Linux person. I know there's nothing
Windows-specific in there.

Jill

[...]

parent reply Nick <Nick_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cgnedd$1m7l$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Arcane Jill says...
In article <cgncq3$1le5$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Nick says...

Oh no! I hope someone can help you sort this out, because I've only ever tested
this on Windows. Assuming you succeed, I'd really like to understand both the
problem and its resolution.
It turned out to be a trivial linker usage problem. By the way, the Karatsuba implementation seems to contain a bug. The following multiplication fails: --------------------- Int i = Int("9404835527576434225246446545397488797239"); Int j = Int("9347137150106640150244934603401185184986"); i = i * j; --------------------- with: "Error: AssertError Failure multiply.d(144)" Compiling multiply.d with -version=DisableKaratsuba solves it. Nick
Aug 28 2004
parent Arcane Jill <Arcane_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cgqae3$30j2$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Nick says...

By the way, the Karatsuba implementation seems to contain a bug.
Okay, thanks. I haven't looked at the Int code for a while because I've been spending too much time on etc.unicode (which it looks like we're now going to replace). I will look into it. Jill
Aug 28 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cgncq3$1le5$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Nick says...
I am trying compile etc.bigint from Deimos into a static library (in linux),
with dmd inttest.d -L-lbigint

This compiles but linking gives lots of undefined references.
I always link on a separate step (with gcc ...) and often have undefined references that go away when the order of the libs pass to the linker is changed. I don't know why, if it's related to your problem, if it's a common problem or if it's someting I'm doing wrong. Ant
Aug 27 2004
parent Nick <Nick_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cgnhf8$1npg$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Ant says...
I always link on a separate step (with gcc ...)
and often have undefined references that go away when the order
of the libs pass to the linker is changed.
I don't know why, if it's related to your problem,
if it's a common problem or if it's someting I'm doing wrong.
Thank you, this solves it. Apparently the gnu linker, ld, only searches files in the order specified. So I have to specify libbigint _before_ libphobos. You can get around this by specifying libraries multiple times, or by using the --start-group/--end-group parameters. All this is clearly stated in the man file, which I should have read before complaining here :) Nick
Aug 28 2004
prev sibling parent "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Nick" <Nick_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:cgncq3$1le5$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Giving bigint_int.o
 explicitly to dmd removes the errors, except one reference to
_d_switch_string. _d_switch_string is defined in libphobos.a in module internal/switch.d.
Aug 27 2004