digitalmars.D - the $ token

reply h3r3tic <h3r3tic dev.null> writes:
disclaimer: sorry if it has been mentioned before

how about adapting the $ token to convert anything to a string ? like

int foo = 5;
char[] bar = $foo;

// bar == "5"

i dont think this would be a large problem to implement whilst BASIC
dudes would instantly know it's sth bout strings :] in BASIC you read a$
as 'a string'.

that's my vote in the $ war ;]
Aug 19 2004
next sibling parent reply "Matthew" <admin.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
Sorry mate, but that sounds like a ridiculously cheap waste of an operator that
we may well find use for - e.g.
serialisation, built-in rexex, ... - at a later stage.

What's wrong with have a toString() shim function, defined for objects and for
all built-in types. (In fact don't we
have that already? It's been a while since I've delved into the bowels of
Phobos ...)

news:cg41l1$2u3m$1 digitaldaemon.com...

parent reply h3r3tic <h3r3tic dev.null> writes:
Matthew wrote:
 Sorry mate, but that sounds like a ridiculously cheap waste of an operator
that we may well find use for - e.g.
 serialisation, built-in rexex, ... - at a later stage.
i dunno bout built-in rexex(regexp?) but for serialization ? cmon... i'd rather have a function serialize() and $ for strings instead of toString() for strings and $ for serialization... i mean, how often do you perform each of those ? most ppl probably don't do as much serialization as string conversion. using $ for serialization would be a waste IMHO... could u give some more details about the "rexex" thingie ?
Aug 20 2004
next sibling parent reply Arcane Jill <Arcane_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cg490p$nk$1 digitaldaemon.com>, h3r3tic says...

could u give some more details about the "rexex" thingie ?
Assuming that "regexp" was intended, there is plenty of information about regular expressions on the web, including this nice one: http://gnosis.cx/publish/programming/regular_expressions.html. Just google "regular expressions" for more. For D, however, I plan something more ambitious in the long term - Unicode Regular Expressions - the definition of which is found in Unicode Technical interested). However, regular expressions (whether ASCII or Unicode) don't seem to require any special characters outside of a string literal. Sure, '$' means "end of string", but you'd pass the regexp pattern inside a string literal. I don't believe that a change to D lexing involving $ would be a good idea here. But I don't want $ used for toString() either. We've only got a few unused ASCII symbols left, so I think we should save them until something /really/ important crops up. Arcane Jill
Aug 20 2004
next sibling parent Helmut Leitner <helmut.leitner wikiservice.at> writes:
Arcane Jill wrote:
 For D, however, I plan something more ambitious in the long term - Unicode
 Regular Expressions - the definition of which is found in Unicode Technical

 interested).
It would be nice to have general regex pattern search operating on any array. Imagine searching patterns in a chess position array or .... -- Helmut Leitner leitner hls.via.at Graz, Austria www.hls-software.com
Aug 20 2004
prev sibling parent "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Arcane Jill" <Arcane_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:cg4b5r$1o0$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 But I don't want $ used for toString() either. We've only got a few unused
ASCII
 symbols left, so I think we should save them until something /really/
important
 crops up.
I'm holding it in reserve for a special purpose. Whenever you use the $ in a D program, you have to send $1 to Digital Mars. I should patent that idea, after all, if Amazon got a patent for clicking a mouse button, why not? <g>
Aug 20 2004
prev sibling parent "Matthew" <admin.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
"h3r3tic" <h3r3tic dev.null> wrote in message
news:cg490p$nk$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Matthew wrote:
 Sorry mate, but that sounds like a ridiculously cheap waste of an operator
that we may well find use for - e.g.
 serialisation, built-in rexex, ... - at a later stage.
i dunno bout built-in rexex(regexp?) but for serialization ? cmon... i'd rather have a function serialize() and $ for strings instead of toString() for strings and $ for serialization... i mean, how often do you perform each of those ? most ppl probably don't do as much serialization as string conversion. using $ for serialization would be a waste IMHO... could u give some more details about the "rexex" thingie ?
They were both simple "for instance"s thrown up on the spur of the moment. My central point, which I believe suffices, is that conversion to string is ably handled already by toString() functions. (Which are far more readable than a non-C-language-standard operator, as well.)
Aug 20 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply _ <__member pathlink.com> writes:
It is a goof idea to make the string conversion a little easyer. For example,
when writing a web application, then one must write a lot of string conversions.

But I must agree also, that every symbol is very valuable.
One option is to make the conversion automatic.
I mean
int foo = 5;
char[] bar = ""~foo;
Because usually it is something like:
return "my granny is "~toString(age)~" old";
it could be just:
return "my granny is "~age~" old";

It is easyer to write, but harder to read and to understand the code.

But it is an idea, isn't it?

In article <cg41l1$2u3m$1 digitaldaemon.com>, h3r3tic says...
disclaimer: sorry if it has been mentioned before

how about adapting the $ token to convert anything to a string ? like

int foo = 5;
char[] bar = $foo;

// bar == "5"

i dont think this would be a large problem to implement whilst BASIC
dudes would instantly know it's sth bout strings :] in BASIC you read a$
as 'a string'.

that's my vote in the $ war ;]
Aug 20 2004
parent reply "Matthew" <admin.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
You could swritef(), which would be clear, and would probably be less abusive
to the heap to boot!

news:cg5425$ds2$1 digitaldaemon.com...

Matthew wrote:
 You could swritef(), which would be clear, and would probably be less abusive
to the heap to boot!
but it's still so C-ish. being able to do "foo " ~ 5 ~ whatever ~ " bar" would be a GoodThing for projects like DSP.
Aug 20 2004
parent reply "Matthew" <admin.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
"h3r3tic" <h3r3tic dev.null> wrote in message
news:cg63u0$v8v$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Matthew wrote:
 You could swritef(), which would be clear, and would probably be less abusive
to the heap to boot!
but it's still so C-ish. being able to do "foo " ~ 5 ~ whatever ~ " bar" would be a GoodThing for projects like DSP.
Ah yes, but I think it's been suggested previously many times that the infix string concatenation operator should automatically call toString() on any of its arguments that are not already strings, prior to concatenation. Hence: Object person = new Person("Walter", "Bright"); long factor = 20; "The IQ of" ~ person ~ " is " ~ factor ~ " times that of mortal man"; would cause the call of std.string.toString(long) and Person.toString(), so we'd get: "The IQ of Walter Bright is 20 times that of mortal man": Although I'm one of those that consistently opposes the overloading of << and >>, this is a different case, since every Object has the facility to toString() itself, and the built-ins are already covered. It wouldn't work for structs, but then that's a good thing anyway. For enums, you would provide a suitable toString() in the same module as the enum, and the compiler would use that. btw, if I'm wrong in saying it's been suggested before, I suggest it now.
Aug 20 2004
parent reply "antiAlias" <fu bar.com> writes:
The problems with that particular approach are twofold:

1) enforcing the binding of Phobos via std.string.toString(). There's a few
issues with doing that, but it's perhaps a matter of personal taste rather
than technicalities such as namespace pollution (which std.* is terribly
good at).

2) more importantly: it doesn't work for unicode strings, because providing
a "dchar toString()" in each class is not covariant with the "char
toString()" living in the root Object. I wish there was an nice, clean,
elegant solution to this ...

news:cg65e6$100p$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Matthew wrote:
[...]

"antiAlias" <fu bar.com> wrote in message
news:cg68tk$11on$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 The problems with that particular approach are twofold:

 1) enforcing the binding of Phobos via std.string.toString(). There's a few
 issues with doing that, but it's perhaps a matter of personal taste rather
 than technicalities such as namespace pollution (which std.* is terribly
 good at).

 2) more importantly: it doesn't work for unicode strings, because providing
 a "dchar toString()" in each class is not covariant with the "char
 toString()" living in the root Object. I wish there was an nice, clean,
 elegant solution to this ...
Doh! Yes, silly me and my anglophoneaphiling. I'm sure there's an elegant solution out there worth having though. It'd make things much simpler in many ways. It'd also make D amenable to the Fast String Concatenation technique (which a certain mouthy pommie invented ...).
 Matthew wrote:
[...]

Agreed. I'd really like to see automatic conversion through an operator. The
tricky part is dealing with optional format-specifiers: think of dates, for
example. How does one pass a format-specifier to the opString() method,
while doing this:

Date date = new Date (milliseconds_since_1970);

char[] string = "The date is " ~ date;

And what about floating-point?

Perhaps you have to set the format in advance ?

Java only has one char type, so they can get away with this more easily.

news:cg69c1$120n$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 Matthew wrote:
[...]

<<

next sibling parent "Matthew" <admin.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
"antiAlias" <fu bar.com> wrote in message
news:cg6ccg$139m$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Agreed. I'd really like to see automatic conversion through an operator. The
 tricky part is dealing with optional format-specifiers: think of dates, for
 example. How does one pass a format-specifier to the opString() method,
 while doing this:

 Date date = new Date (milliseconds_since_1970);

 char[] string = "The date is " ~ date;

 And what about floating-point?

 Perhaps you have to set the format in advance ?
No. If people want formatting, they can use sprintf() or swritef(). I only think this is workable if the compiler *only* interprets ~ as a call to toString(), which it will either pick if up from the current module or the module of the convertee type or std.string, in that order. I'll turn into an opponent of this idea if we start to move towards an IOStreams kind of thing, with all that hideous setw() manipulator crap.
 Java only has one char type, so they can get away with this more easily.

IIRC, it calls the ToString() method. I think there's also IFormatter stuff, but it's been a long time since I had a play, and even then it wasn't that interesting. ;)

 Matthew wrote:
[...]

Aug 21 2004
prev sibling parent Andy Friesen <andy ikagames.com> writes:
antiAlias wrote:
 Agreed. I'd really like to see automatic conversion through an operator. The
 tricky part is dealing with optional format-specifiers: think of dates, for
 example. How does one pass a format-specifier to the opString() method,
 while doing this:

 Date date = new Date (milliseconds_since_1970);

 char[] string = "The date is " ~ date;

 And what about floating-point?

 Perhaps you have to set the format in advance ?

 Java only has one char type, so they can get away with this more easily.

just optimizes them a bit differently when possible. :) (everything has a ToString method: ints, strings, arrays, even pointers) -- andy
Aug 21 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Matthew" <admin.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
"antiAlias" <fu bar.com> wrote in message
news:cg68tk$11on$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 The problems with that particular approach are twofold:

 1) enforcing the binding of Phobos via std.string.toString(). There's a few
 issues with doing that, but it's perhaps a matter of personal taste rather
 than technicalities such as namespace pollution (which std.* is terribly
 good at).

 2) more importantly: it doesn't work for unicode strings, because providing
 a "dchar toString()" in each class is not covariant with the "char
 toString()" living in the root Object. I wish there was an nice, clean,
 elegant solution to this ...
Easy(-ish). It takes its lead from the leftmost concatenation thingy. In abscense of a leading string, it assumes char[]. Of course, this still requires use of argument-based string-type deduction, as in char[] toString(int , char[]); dchar[] toString(int, dchar[]); but I reckon that facility is going to be needed anyway.

parent "antiAlias" <fu bar.com> writes:
"Matthew" <admin.hat stlsoft.dot.org> wrote in message
 Of course, this still requires use of argument-based string-type
deduction, as in
     char[] toString(int , char[]);
     dchar[] toString(int, dchar[]);

 but I reckon that facility is going to be needed anyway.
What follows is just my opinion, and could be completely misguided: Part of the problem here, as noted earlier, is the covariant return type. To provide what you suggest above, Walter will probably need to hack the method-resolution code to perform a special case. IMO, this is just another stake through the heart of the C++ method resolution approach ... such resolution should use everything about the method signature (including its return type) as part of the matching process. But it doesn't. I'd guess it currently doesn't because it would be possible to get confused over which of two (or more) methods to select when the return value is not used, and where the rest of the signature matches exactly. However; there are ways of making that operate acceptably. I'm not sure that it's such a big issue. Still; I don't see the method-matching algorithm ever changing in D. What's currently there is clearly considered to be the most appropriate approach. Hence, the above will likely never become a reality without introducing more special-cases and more confusion. That's rather unfortunate, IMHO. If D were strongly-typed (as is claimed), said algorithm would be quite different, and would likely lend itself more towards this topic without further confusion. The need for method-aliasing would also go away completely (and would likely satisfy 90% of folks who have an opinion on that subject). That should be reserved for a different topic though. Another way to approach the current subject matter is like so: char[] toString (out dchar[]) and/or char[] toString (out wchar[]) Which produce both outputs at the same time. That's seriously fugly, and as inefficient as one might expect. Please ... let's not do that! "Hackety Hack ~ Don't Look Back"
Aug 21 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Batman <Batman_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cg68tk$11on$1 digitaldaemon.com>, antiAlias says...

providing
a "dchar toString()" in each class is not covariant with the "char
toString()" living in the root Object.
What does covariant mean exactly?
Aug 20 2004
parent reply "Matthew" <admin.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
"Batman" <Batman_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:cg6pcs$1cch$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 In article <cg68tk$11on$1 digitaldaemon.com>, antiAlias says...

providing
a "dchar toString()" in each class is not covariant with the "char
toString()" living in the root Object.
What does covariant mean exactly?
Well, I won't profer a definition of the word, but it is usually used in software engineering to describe the following condition class B {} class D : public B {} class X { virtual B clone(); } class Y : public X { virtual D clone(); } Because D is (publicly) derived from B, it is legitimate for Y's overload of X's clone() method to return D instead of B. This is because inheritance is an "Is-A" relationship. Hence, any D is-a B. Since X's clone() requires a B, Y's clone() can return a D, because a D is-a B. Make sense? (I hope so, 'cos that's my top shelf explanation. You'll have to hope for other posts if not. <G>)
Aug 20 2004
parent Matthias Becker <Matthias_member pathlink.com> writes:
"Batman" <Batman_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:cg6pcs$1cch$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 In article <cg68tk$11on$1 digitaldaemon.com>, antiAlias says...

providing
a "dchar toString()" in each class is not covariant with the "char
toString()" living in the root Object.
What does covariant mean exactly?
It's just the opposit of contravariant.
Well, I won't profer a definition of the word, but it is usually used in
software engineering to describe the following
condition

class B
{}
class D : public B
{}

class X
{
    virtual B clone();
}

class Y : public X
{
    virtual D clone();
}

Because D is (publicly) derived from B, it is legitimate for Y's overload of
X's clone() method to return D instead of
B.

This is because inheritance is an "Is-A" relationship. Hence, any D is-a B.

Since X's clone() requires a B, Y's clone() can return a D, because a D is-a B.

Make sense? (I hope so, 'cos that's my top shelf explanation. You'll have to
hope for other posts if not. <G>)
Well, in D (and in C++) derived classes are covariant to their base classes in other languages they possibly aren't. Even in D classes aren't covariant to the interfaces they implement. -- Matthias Becker
Aug 22 2004
prev sibling parent reply Arcane Jill <Arcane_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cg68tk$11on$1 digitaldaemon.com>, antiAlias says...
The problems with that particular approach are twofold:

2) more importantly: it doesn't work for unicode strings, because providing
a "dchar toString()" in each class is not covariant with the "char
toString()" living in the root Object. I wish there was an nice, clean,
elegant solution to this ...
I've wondered about that myself, but I guess having toString() return char[] is not so bad. The magic of UTF-8 does, after all, allow us to store every character in a char[] (even though not in a char). But it would be really, really, /really/ cool, if all string types would *implicitly* cast to one another, *and* go through the relevant std.utf conversion routine to do so. Then classes could implement any of the following at their choice: Walter has opposed the notion that even /explicit/ casts from string to string should not do any conversion. I suggest: The last case is to cover the unlikely circumstance that you might want to "paint" the { length, address } structure. Obviously, casting from string to non-string or vice-versa should use the paint method as now. The current syntax is confusing. For example: The explanation is that in these cases, toUTFxx() is not called - instead, the conversion happens at compile-time (the string being a compile-time constant). But I would prefer it if strings were much easier to interchange. Maybe there is a need for a String class after all? Something like: I dunno. Just throwing ideas around. Arcane Jill
Aug 22 2004
next sibling parent Arcane Jill <Arcane_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cg9rfu$brl$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Arcane Jill says...

Typo correction:

Walter has opposed the notion that even /explicit/ casts from string to string
should not do any conversion.
should read: "Walter has opposed the notion that even /explicit/ casts from string to string should do any conversion." (I don't normally bother to correct typos, but in this case I didn't want anyone being accidently misrepresented). Jill
Aug 22 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Matthew" <admin.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
Hmm. It's always a bit dodgy to have casts do any implicit work, but since
short->double does work, I don't really see
why casting dchar[]->wchar[].

I can't think of any major objection why we shouldn't have it, at least in
explicit form.

"Arcane Jill" <Arcane_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:cg9rfu$brl$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

In article <cg9u7c$dtp$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Matthew says...

Hmm. It's always a bit dodgy to have casts do any implicit work,
Not "always", but often. The following line of D code has an implicit cast in it: and I don't actually consider that dodgy at all. What I'm suggesting is similar, because there is no loss of information. But I don't have the answer - I'm only citing the problem. The problem is that Object defines this function: That's a problem because an internationalized class like - oh, let's say Name (of a human being) is likely to have an internal representation as a dchar[] - and this is precisely what internationalization writer classes are going to require - a succession of dchars. toString() is called in format() because it's in Object and therefore in everything. The upshot of all this is that to send our Name to a console using transcoding techniques you would have to: (1) have toString() call toUTF8() on the internal dchar[] (2) call toUTF32() to get back the dchars to feed into the writer (3) transcode yet again between the writer and the console It would be nicer if toString() could return /any/ kind of string. Or if toString() returned dchar[] only (but that would break existing code). Or if there were a String class which abstracted away the implementation, and toString() returned that (which would also break existing code). Or if we had member template functions and could define toString!(dchar[])() or something. Like I said, I don't have answers, just concerns. All I know is that forcing everything to go via UTF-8 at every toString() juncture is not the most efficient way of going about things. Arcane Jill
Aug 22 2004
parent reply Matthias Becker <Matthias_member pathlink.com> writes:
[...]
How to do that? All versions would have to be defined in Object. But what happens if you implement some of them but not all? This could be very confusing.
Or if
toString() returned dchar[] only (but that would break existing code).
Yes, but I like this idea more then the previous one.
Or if
there were a String class which abstracted away the implementation, and
toString() returned that (which would also break existing code).
Many people suggested string classes from time to time, but Walter seems not to like that idea. Well, you would get my vote.
Like I said, I don't have answers, just concerns. All I know is that forcing
everything to go via UTF-8 at every toString() juncture is not the most
efficient way of going about things.
Right. -- Matthias Becker
Aug 22 2004
parent Arcane Jill <Arcane_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cgaip0$sqf$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Matthias Becker says...

It would be nicer if toString() could return /any/ kind of string.
How to do that? All versions would have to be defined in Object.
No, no. Object can stay as it is. Subclasses would only define /one/ toString() function. Look at it like this. Right now, the following piece of code: won't compile. The error is "function toString overrides but is not covariant with toString". But, you see, if they /were/ considered covariant, then it would.
But what
happens if you implement some of them but not all?
If you implemented more than one, it would be a compile error, because you can't overload on return type. If you implemented precisely one, an implicit conversion would happen from the type you actually return to the type expected in the calling expression (which could be no conversion at all). If you implemented no versions, the superclass toString() would be used.
Or if
toString() returned dchar[] only (but that would break existing code).
Yes, but I like this idea more then the previous one.
Me too. But Walter would take some convincing.
Or if
there were a String class which abstracted away the implementation, and
toString() returned that (which would also break existing code).
Many people suggested string classes from time to time, but Walter seems not to like that idea. Well, you would get my vote.
Sure, but in my view, the problem isn't defining a string class per se, it's that Object.toString() would have to return it. Ergo, it would have to be a Phobos-defined string, and I don't think people would like to be tied to a particular string implementation (unless it was /really/ good). Jill
Aug 22 2004
prev sibling parent reply Regan Heath <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 10:11:10 +0000 (UTC), Arcane Jill
[...]

I believe Walters opposition was due to the fact that a conversion would create inconsistency between string types and ubyte etc, also that the ability to 'paint' one type as another is desired. I think the fact that char, wchar, and dchar have a specified encoding sets them apart from other types, this fact makes painting one string type to another completely useless, I cannot think of a reason to paint a char[], wchar[] or dchar[] to each other? can you? If you can then I suggest something like:

will suffice. It *does* make sense to paint char[], wchar[] or dchar[] as ubyte[] or void[] etc so what I suggest is that conversion does occur, but, only if both the source type and destination type have a specified encoding, i.e. char, wchar and dchar to char, wchar or dchar. In conclusion I cannot see any valid reason not to make this change, I believe it makes string handling: - simpler - more consistent - less error prone This change would make a string class totally useless, which I believe was Walters original intention when creating these types. Regan -- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
Aug 22 2004
parent reply "antiAlias" <fu bar.com> writes:
Right. But I don't think this stuff should be done by a cast(). I mean, you
can just as easily convert them "manually" using the functions in utf.d,
can't you? Where automated conversion would really help is in stringizing
(the original topic; I think):

class A {}

int x;
long y;
dchar[] z;
A a = new A;

char[] narrow = "string some stuff together " ~ z ~ y ~ x ~ a;

and the wide version:

dchar[] wide = "string some stuff together " ~ z ~ y ~ x ~ a;

If the ~ concatenators could convert between dchar[] and char[]
appropriately, then Matthew's idea about the type being specified by the
left-hand side would probably work. Though, on reflection, this seem like an
awful lot of work for an operator to perform. Particularly so when it's a
special-case, as it is here (e.g. int[] does not does anything fancy like
this).

Instead, how about a concat(...) method? It's not hard to make a typesafe
one that can do whatever conversion one desires (including calling
toString() and converting as necessary). Hell; you could have two concat()
methods: one for a dchar[] result and one for a char[] result.

return "my granny is "~age~" old";

becomes

return concat ("my granny is ", age, " old");

Is that really so awful?

Regardless; I think there's still an issue about toString() not handling
dchar[]. Although you can utf8 encode the content, that's hardly a
convenience, or exactly efficient.

news:opsc5nxehm5a2sq9 digitalmars.com...

next sibling parent reply Regan Heath <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
 Right. But I don't think this stuff should be done by a cast(). I mean,
 you
 can just as easily convert them "manually" using the functions in utf.d,
 can't you?
Yep, we want implicit conversion, eg. char[] a = "abc"; dchar[] b = a; <- does a UTF-8 to UTF-32
 Where automated conversion would really help is in stringizing
 (the original topic; I think):
Definately.
 class A {}

 int x;
 long y;
 dchar[] z;
 A a = new A;

 char[] narrow = "string some stuff together " ~ z ~ y ~ x ~ a;

 and the wide version:

 dchar[] wide = "string some stuff together " ~ z ~ y ~ x ~ a;

 If the ~ concatenators could convert between dchar[] and char[]
 appropriately, then Matthew's idea about the type being specified by the
 left-hand side would probably work. Though, on reflection, this seem
 like an
 awful lot of work for an operator to perform. Particularly so when it's a
 special-case, as it is here (e.g. int[] does not does anything fancy like
 this).
The operator itself doesn't do the work, it's the type promotion system, eg when you say int a; float b,c; c = b+a; the compiler first promotes 'a' to float, then adds them, then assigns that to 'c'. So, Matthews idea effects the type promotion system, I had a similar idea, I suggested the type promotion system use the type of the thing being assigned to (c in the above) to determine what to promote the type to. This was to solve the common: float percentage; int value,total; percentage = value/total*100; bug which only ever assigns percentage an integral value as value,total and 100 are integral. To fix the above you must go cast(float)value/cast(float)total*100.0 notice the casts and the .0 on the 100, this makes them all floats, which is the type of the result. I think we want/need two things: - implicit calling of toString for types with toString defined. - implicit calling of toString for basic types. - type promotion in operators to cause implicit conversion between UTF-x types. Such that the example: Will cause: - represent "string.." in UTF-32 - append z - call y.toString(), convert to UTF-32, append - call x.toString(), convert to UTF-32, append - call a.toString(), convert to UTF-32, append - convert to UTF-8, assign to narrow. If the example were changed to: a; then the operations would be: - represent "string.." in UTF-8 - convert z to UTF-8, append - call y.toString(), append - call x.toString(), append - call a.toString(), append - assign to narrow which is better as less conversions are required. This is in essence what Matthews idea causes, yes? My suggestion causes the same sequence of events as Matthews idea. The other example: probably causes: - represent "string.." as UTF-32 - append z - call y.toString(), convert to UTF-32, append - call x.toString(), convert to UTF-32, append - call a.toString(), convert to UTF-32, append - assign to wide interestingly this is identical to the first example, if we take Matthews idea into account we get: - represent "string.." as UTF-8 - convert z to UTF-8, append - call y.toString(), append - call x.toString(), append - call a.toString(), append - convert to UTF-32, assign to wide which is better, my idea actually causes the original behaviour :(
 Instead, how about a concat(...) method? It's not hard to make a typesafe
 one that can do whatever conversion one desires (including calling
 toString() and converting as necessary). Hell; you could have two
 concat()
 methods: one for a dchar[] result and one for a char[] result.

 return "my granny is "~age~" old";

 becomes

 return concat ("my granny is ", age, " old");

 Is that really so awful?
Not awful, but IMO it's better if we don't need one.
 Regardless; I think there's still an issue about toString() not handling
 dchar[]. Although you can utf8 encode the content, that's hardly a
 convenience, or exactly efficient.
Exactly, so why not implicitly convert.. I can't see what problems it causes, and it certainly solves several. Regan
[...]

In article <opsc5skbhm5a2sq9 digitalmars.com>, Regan Heath says...

So, Matthews idea effects the type promotion system,
Matthew's idea? Matthew said something like: "all implicit conversions are a bit dodgy". The notion of making string types interchangable was in fact...
I had a similar idea,
..Regan's idea, resuggested by me, Jill, in the response to some comment or other about Object.toString().
I suggested the type promotion system use the type of the thing being
assigned to (c in the above) to determine what to promote the type to.
That's the ticket.
This is in essence what
Matthews idea causes, yes?

My suggestion causes the same sequence of events as Matthews idea.
Then there was h3r3tic's idea: "how about adapting the $ token to convert anything to a string?". I've got confused now about which/whose idea you're now talking about.
 Instead, how about a concat(...) method?
Sure. Let's call it opCat(). And while we're at it, let's give in an operator to overload. :) Jill (agreeing with Regan)
Aug 22 2004
next sibling parent reply "Matthew" <admin.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
"Arcane Jill" <Arcane_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:cgc036$1u5u$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

I think he meant my suggestion that sequences of ~ involving non string types should be implicitly translated to calls to ?X?.toString() for object types, and to std.string.toString() for scalar types. (I also suggested that structs do not have automatic conversion, and that's a good thing. Given what we're now realising about the non-orthogonal nature of the struct's intent, that seems more sage now than it did when I suggested it.)
Aug 22 2004
parent Regan Heath <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:52:12 +1000, Matthew <admin.hat stlsoft.dot.org>
[...]

Actually I was referring to this idea... "then Matthew's idea about the type being specified by the left-hand side would probably work." posted by 'antiAlias'. Regan -- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
Aug 23 2004
prev sibling parent reply Regan Heath <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 05:41:58 +0000 (UTC), Arcane Jill
 In article <opsc5skbhm5a2sq9 digitalmars.com>, Regan Heath says...

 So, Matthews idea effects the type promotion system,
Matthew's idea? Matthew said something like: "all implicit conversions are a bit dodgy". The notion of making string types interchangable was in fact...
No this one .. "then Matthew's idea about the type being specified by the left-hand side would probably work." - antiAlias.
 I had a similar idea,
..Regan's idea, resuggested by me, Jill, in the response to some comment or other about Object.toString().
 I suggested the type promotion system use the type of the thing being
 assigned to (c in the above) to determine what to promote the type to.
That's the ticket.
 This is in essence what
 Matthews idea causes, yes?

 My suggestion causes the same sequence of events as Matthews idea.
Then there was h3r3tic's idea: "how about adapting the $ token to convert anything to a string?". I've got confused now about which/whose idea you're now talking about.
I wasn't even aware of this idea :) I think instead of requiring a token it should automatically call toString for any type it is trying to promote to a string.
 Instead, how about a concat(...) method?
Sure. Let's call it opCat(). And while we're at it, let's give in an operator to overload. :)
Don't we already have an opCat? and if not, why not? Regan -- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
Aug 23 2004
parent reply Arcane Jill <Arcane_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <opsc7jczjt5a2sq9 digitalmars.com>, Regan Heath says...

 Instead, how about a concat(...) method?
Sure. Let's call it opCat(). And while we're at it, let's give in an operator to overload. :)
Don't we already have an opCat? and if not, why not?
Aug 24 2004
parent Regan Heath <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:44:40 +0000 (UTC), Arcane Jill