digitalmars.D - Distributing libraries made with D

reply Niko Korhonen <niktheblak hotmail.com> writes:
Greetings, I'm a newcomer in D and I've been very happy with the
language so far. There's one topic that I can't figure out though; how
am I supposed to distribute libraries for D.

Let's suppose I want to program a /closed-source/ library for D. People
should be able to use that library but without access to the source code.

When using Java I can provide a .jar package with the necessary .class
files. Users can can import this package and specify the .jar file as a
compiler argument.

In .NET I provide the generated .dll file and the .xml documentation
file. These can be plugged in and used in Visual Studio very easily.

In C/C++ I provide the binaries (.obj, .a, .lib etc) and the header
files. No source code required so far (although Bytecode and MSIL are
easy to decompile).

It seems that the D compiler requires the full source code for D
libraries. Whenever I import a package in D source code as such:

The compiler wants mylib.d. Passing mylib.obj or mylib.lib as argument
doesn't do the trick. Am I missing something here? Since I want to
provide directly usable libraries for D I really wouldn't like to limit
myself to that export(C) assembler stuff.

So can I build full-featured (not exported) libraries with D, for D,
without opening the source?
Jul 28 2004
next sibling parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
[...]

It can be done! I worked it out with the help of a few people here. I was *not* intuitive and involved a bit of /smoke & mirrors/. Unfortunately, I can't remember all the steps involved. I'll try to nut it out again and this time write down the process. ;-) -- Derek Melbourne, Australia 29/Jul/04 10:18:26 AM
Jul 28 2004
parent Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
[...]

Okay. This is what I did... ** Created a folder called 'IMP' ** Stored my source code in here. These were implementation code, and not 'headers'. example: --- file: mfoo.d --- module mfoo; import std.stdio; class Foo { void foo(int x){ writef("FOO\n");} } --- file: mbar.d --- module mbar; import std.stdio; import mfoo; class Bar: Foo { alias Foo.foo foo; void foo(char[] x){writef("BAR\n");}; } ** Compile these with the -c switch. ** Move the resulting *.obj files into a library file (eg. via the DigitalMars lib program) ** Copy the source files. eg. mfoo.d --> mfoo_exp.d mbar.d --> mbar_exp.d ** Edit the _exp.d files and remove all the implementation stuff. example: --- file: mfoo_exp.d --- module mfoo; import std.stdio; class Foo { void foo(int x); } --- file: mbar.d --- module mbar; import std.stdio; import mfoo; class Bar: Foo { alias Foo.foo foo; void foo(char[] x); } ** Create another folder. eg. EXPORT ** Copy the library from IMP to EXPORT ** Copy the _exp.d files from IMP to EXPORT ** Rename the copied _exp.d files in EXPORT to their .d names (remove the _exp) part. ** The EXPORT folder is now your distribution package. To use the distribution package. Create your application code as normal and compile it using the .d files and .lib file from the distribution. example: --- file: test.d --- import mfoo; import mbar; void main() { Foo f = new Foo; Bar b = new Bar; int i; char[] s = "test"; b.foo(i); b.foo(s); } -------------------------- and compiled with ... dmd test mylib.lib So the net result is that the user of your library only gets the .LIB file and the stripped down source code files, containing definitions but no implementation details. -- Derek Melbourne, Australia 29/Jul/04 11:13:49 AM
Jul 28 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent "Vathix" <vathixSpamFix dprogramming.com> writes:
"Niko Korhonen" <niktheblak hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:ce9dgi$phm$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

Yes, make a stripped D file just for importing. Given the actual source file is foo.d, make foo_imp.d: module foo; // Not foo_imp. class Foo { int publicfield; void stuff(); } int bar(); // etc ,,..,
Jul 28 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent Andy Friesen <andy ikagames.com> writes:
Niko Korhonen wrote:
 Greetings, I'm a newcomer in D and I've been very happy with the
 language so far. There's one topic that I can't figure out though; how
 am I supposed to distribute libraries for D.

 Let's suppose I want to program a /closed-source/ library for D. People
 should be able to use that library but without access to the source code.

 So can I build full-featured (not exported) libraries with D, for D,
 without opening the source?
The D compiler needs declarations, but doesn't care about definitions. Except for templates, you can just leave out the definition: class Foo : Bar { this(); void thing(); int x; etc(); } int nonmember_function(); The linker will sort it all out. -- andy
Jul 28 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Niko Korhonen" <niktheblak hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:ce9dgi$phm$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 So can I build full-featured (not exported) libraries with D, for D,
 without opening the source?
Sure! Look at phobos/object.d and phobos/internal/object.d for an example. The trick is to remove the function bodies from the shipped version of the source, and leave the bodies in for the compiled library that you ship.
Jul 28 2004
parent reply David Tiktin <dtiktin nospam.totally-bogus.com> writes:
 "Niko Korhonen" <niktheblak hotmail.com> wrote in message
 news:ce9dgi$phm$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 So can I build full-featured (not exported) libraries with D, for
 D, without opening the source?
Sure! Look at phobos/object.d and phobos/internal/object.d for an example. The trick is to remove the function bodies from the shipped version of the source, and leave the bodies in for the compiled library that you ship.
I think this is an important issue and not just for keeping source code closed. One feature I have not yet found in D is a clean solution for separating interface from implementation in the way C prototypes and forward declarations do. So far, this method of stripping out the implementation seems to be the *only* offered solution, and it seems kludgy. Would it be possible to do something like this? A module could (optionally) use 2 files, say x.d and x.i. x.d would be the "stripped" interface file. x.i would be the "full" implementation file. x.d would have a statement like: module x; implementation x; When building the object x.obj, the compiler would "bring in" the implementation and compile the "combined" file. When compiling any other object using "import x" it would not. It would just see the .d interface file. You'd just ship the .lib containing the .obj and .d files. Just a thought. BTW, do you have a tool or script of some kind that strips the function bodies? It looks to me like that might be hard to do reliably without actually parsing the code to distinguish function bodies from other types of blocks. Dave -- D.a.v.i.d T.i.k.t.i.n t.i.k.t.i.n [at] a.d.v.a.n.c.e.d.r.e.l.a.y [dot] c.o.m
Jul 29 2004
next sibling parent h3r3tic <h3r3tic_member pathlink.com> writes:
I think this is an important issue and not just for keeping source
code closed.  One feature I have not yet found in D is a clean
solution for separating interface from implementation in the way C
prototypes and forward declarations do.  So far, this method of
stripping out the implementation seems to be the *only* offered
solution, and it seems kludgy.
Exactly the thing I've been thinking about recently.
  x.i would be the "full" implementation
file.  x.d would have a statement like:

module x;
implementation x;
That I haven't thought about ;) It might get better: module implementation x; and I think it wouldn't be too painful to parse if that's concerned
Jul 29 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Ilya Minkov <minkov cs.tum.edu> writes:
David Tiktin schrieb:

 I think this is an important issue and not just for keeping source
 code closed.  One feature I have not yet found in D is a clean
 solution for separating interface from implementation in the way C
 prototypes and forward declarations do.  So far, this method of
 stripping out the implementation seems to be the *only* offered
 solution, and it seems kludgy.
It's really nice for development to have it together. Like, there are different opinions, and i do program in C++ primarily, but i still feel much more comfortable with both implementation and declarations in one file. Nice for people coming from Delphi (like myself) or Java originally. What else can probably be done, make 2 sections within one file, the upper for (public) declarations, the lower for implementation. I don't know whether it always works, but i think it should, so it's worth a try. And where it doesn't, report a bug.
 Would it be possible to do something like this?  A module could
 (optionally) use 2 files, say x.d and x.i.  x.d would be the
 "stripped" interface file.  x.i would be the "full" implementation
 file.  x.d would have a statement like:
Yikes! It was such a relief that D doesn't force one to do that. but... you really want it back? Walters opinion to this is, is that interface mixed with implementation is OK, but one needs some documentation tool. Nice HTMLs are far easier to read than stripped source or headers.
 module x;
 implementation x;

 When building the object x.obj, the compiler would "bring in" the
 implementation and compile the "combined" file.  When compiling any
 other object using "import x" it would not.  It would just see the .d
 interface file.  You'd just ship the .lib containing the .obj and .d
 files.  Just a thought.
If you can use separate interface from implementation as above, one could expand on it. For example, by using a version statement and a simple tool to strip out the contents of it, or by chaining the preprocessor into the build process.
 BTW, do you have a tool or script of some kind that strips the
 function bodies?  It looks to me like that might be hard to do
 reliably without actually parsing the code to distinguish function
 bodies from other types of blocks.
I recall dig compiler driver (look for undig at dsource) would usually be able to do the trick, but someone was working on a better utility. -eye
Jul 29 2004
next sibling parent reply David Tiktin <dtiktin nospam.totally-bogus.com> writes:
[...]
You'd still have to physically remove the lower part when shipping a library if you wanted to keep the source code closed.
 Would it be possible to do something like this?  A module could
 (optionally) use 2 files, say x.d and x.i.  x.d would be the
 "stripped" interface file.  x.i would be the "full"
 implementation file.  x.d would have a statement like:
 Yikes! It was such a relief that D doesn't force one to do that.
 but... you really want it back?
I did say "optionally" :-). But yes, I guess I do want something same thing, and have the same problem. They have spawned a code obfuscation industry so people can ship classes that can't be decompiled. Yuck!) I'm not suggesting that D require this, just that it support it. I think conceptual separation of interface and implmenatation is the first principle of good software engineering. So I think there should be language constructs which support good abstraction barriers. But I agree that forcing people to be good isn't nice :-).
 Walters opinion to this is, is that interface mixed with
 implementation is OK, but one needs some documentation tool. Nice
 HTMLs are far easier to read than stripped source or headers.
I agree with the last part, but that also introduces lots of redundancy in the code. You have the code *and* HTML comments that explain it. And we know how easy it is for the 2 to get out of synch. I think this is a really *hard* problem. No one wants the same thing in 2 places. Having the same thing in 2 places is the first principle of bad software engineering!
 module x;
 implementation x;

 When building the object x.obj, the compiler would "bring in" the
 implementation and compile the "combined" file.  When compiling
 any other object using "import x" it would not.  It would just
 see the .d interface file.  You'd just ship the .lib containing
 the .obj and .d files.  Just a thought.
If you can use separate interface from implementation as above, one could expand on it. For example, by using a version statement and a simple tool to strip out the contents of it, or by chaining the preprocessor into the build process.
Yes, there could be a solution along these lines. But does D allow you to "reopen" a class definition? [pseudo code] class X { this(int); } version (implementation) { class X { this(int x) { x_ = x; } private int x_; } } [/pseudo code] If it did, I suppose you could just do: [pseudo code] version (implementation) { import x.impl; } [/pseudo code] Or something like that.
 BTW, do you have a tool or script of some kind that strips the
 function bodies?  It looks to me like that might be hard to do
 reliably without actually parsing the code to distinguish
 function bodies from other types of blocks.
I recall dig compiler driver (look for undig at dsource) would usually be able to do the trick, but someone was working on a better utility.
Thanks, I'll look there. Dave -- D.a.v.i.d T.i.k.t.i.n t.i.k.t.i.n [at] a.d.v.a.n.c.e.d.r.e.l.a.y [dot] c.o.m
Jul 29 2004
next sibling parent Niko Korhonen <niktheblak hotmail.com> writes:
David Tiktin wrote:

 They have spawned a code obfuscation industry so people can ship
 classes that can't be decompiled.  Yuck!)
OT: The obfuscation industry is just exploiting people's paranoia. Decompiling Bytecode/MSIL IMO isn't such a big threat. A company can just put a "reverse engineering prohibited" discalimer in the EULA and sue the hell out of anyone who might be doing so. Individuals who can't afford lawyers develop open source anyway :) Remember that you can disassemble any executable. But figuring out what the code does is harder. *Much* harder. But it's still /possible/ :)
Jul 29 2004
prev sibling parent Ilya Minkov <minkov cs.tum.edu> writes:
David Tiktin schrieb:
 Yes, there could be a solution along these lines.  But does D allow
 you to "reopen" a class definition?
No. I think it should rather done like in C++: you make a complete class declaration in the "header" part, excluding code, and then fill in the methods below in the version(implementation) part, e.g. X.this(int x) { x_ = x; } x_ has to be defined in the public part anyway, because else the class definition would be incomplete, size unknown, and thus it would all break when you create a class derived from X.
 If it did, I suppose you could just do:
[...]
   import x.impl;
[...] This line cannot work properly, because qualified names for classes would be different. Perhaps one could make alias fix that, but i think then it would be too seducing to place data members here, and thus break the definition. You should also be aware, that D automatically evaluates functions for inlining, if their source is available during compilation. If not, then... bad luck. D is geared towards whole-program optimizations, which might be the next big thing which might cause Java and CLI/.NET to grow stronger, and C++ to fall back a bit. This question of source protection has actually popped up a couple of times in the long history of D newsgroups, back when it wasn't that crowded and i read all the couple of thousands messages per year. It was agreed upon that when commercial compilers appear, they could foresee a format to replace lib, containing part compiled code, part declarations, part parsed representation of inlinable functions. For current development, it would be putting a priority on a wrong spot - there is way too much primary things to iron out. But an external tool would be thinkable, which would be based on a stripper anyway, plus an archive and compilation manager. Have a mercy with Walter: he cannot clone himself, people hardly help him, and he doesn't have a time machine. -eye
Jul 30 2004
prev sibling parent "C. Sauls" <ibisbasenji yahoo.com> writes:
Ilya Minkov wrote:
 I recall dig compiler driver (look for undig at dsource) would usually
 be able to do the trick, but someone was working on a better utility.
I was at one time, is that the one you mean? I basically scrapped most of it pending some changes in both D and Mango... I guess I ought to get that thing written now. Just hadn't needed it myself, so there was no hurry. -Chris S. -Invironz
Jul 29 2004
prev sibling parent reply Andy Friesen <andy ikagames.com> writes:
David Tiktin wrote:

 Would it be possible to do something like this?  A module could
 (optionally) use 2 files, say x.d and x.i.  x.d would be the
 "stripped" interface file.  x.i would be the "full" implementation
 file.  x.d would have a statement like:

 module x;
 implementation x;

 When building the object x.obj, the compiler would "bring in" the
 implementation and compile the "combined" file.  When compiling any
 other object using "import x" it would not.  It would just see the .d
 interface file.  You'd just ship the .lib containing the .obj and .d
 files.  Just a thought.
A simpler way would be to allow a class to be redeclared in a different source file within the same compilation phase iff there are no conflicting definitions. Then we could do foo.d module foo; class Foo : FooBase { this(); void do_things(); } foo.impl.d (or whatever you want to name it) module foo; // foo, not foo_impl! Currently not legal. class Foo : FooBase { this() { ... } // implemented this time void do_things() { ... } } All the compiler really needs to do is make sure that any conflicting definitions are identical, save for omitted function bodies. The linker can already catch any duplicated or missing definitions. With respect to the filename not matching the module name, there are two solutions that come to mind: silently ignore it, or make the ".impl.d" extension (or something like it) explicitly part of the language. Silently ignoring it is probably much easier: code declared in foo.impl.d is compiled as though it was part of module foo. (name mangling and so forth) Modules importing foo will get the stub instead, as per existing rules, which should be okay in most situations. Or we could just write a good stripping tool and stay free from manual duplication that way. :) -- andy
Jul 29 2004