digitalmars.D - C/C++ Compilers/IDE and D

reply Novice One <Novice_member pathlink.com> writes:
Goodday fellows!

1.Can D be used within/ compiled on C/C++ compilers and IDE's like DMC, Blooshed
Dev-C++, Turbo C++ / C++ Builder , Visual C++ etc. ?

2. Can the examples of books like 'C++: how to program' etc. be used for D
(would it be a good idea)?
Jul 27 2004
next sibling parent reply Mike Swieton <mike swieton.net> writes:
 1.Can D be used within/ compiled on C/C++ compilers and IDE's like DMC,
Blooshed
 Dev-C++, Turbo C++ / C++ Builder , Visual C++ etc. ?
Compilers: no. The compiler would need to know how to compile D code, and that currently is just the Digital Mars one and there's a GCC back end for D, but someone else will need to inform us of the current status on that. IDEs: most certainly. I, not being an IDE user, couldn't tell you *how*, but you can. Maybe look for custom build rules in your IDE?
 2. Can the examples of books like 'C++: how to program' etc. be used for D
 (would it be a good idea)?
Maybe, maybe not. A whole lot's different from C++ to D. Basic programming techniques apply generally, of course, but there are significant differences between the two languages. For instance, D always passes classes by reference and structs by value. Quite a change from C++. I think it would be difficult without a sound knowledgebase of at least one of the languages. If you're a new programmer, I suggest using a learning book to learn the language it covers, or sticking to a pure theory book (Gang of Four, etc). I hope the following doesn't come across as steering you away from D (even if that's what I'm saying), but I think it would make things more difficult for you to be learning to program with a language which is not finalized, and for which a wealth of examples is not present. If I've wholly misinterpreted your experience level, feel free to thwack me soundly. Mike Swieton __ Never grow old. Growing older and growing old are very different.
Jul 27 2004
next sibling parent Novice Programmer <Novice_member pathlink.com> writes:
Goodday fellows!
I am thankful to everyone of you who has cared to reply my   simple/silly
questions.
Thanking you,
Irfan.
Jul 28 2004
prev sibling parent "Carlos Santander B." <carlos8294 msn.com> writes:
"Mike Swieton" <mike swieton.net> escribió en el mensaje
news:pan.2004.07.28.03.21.36.850304 swieton.net
|| 2. Can the examples of books like 'C++: how to program' etc. be used for D
|| (would it be a good idea)?
|
| Maybe, maybe not. A whole lot's different from C++ to D. Basic programming
| techniques apply generally, of course, but there are significant differences
| between the two languages. For instance, D always passes classes by reference
| and structs by value. Quite a change from C++. I think it would be difficult
| without a sound knowledgebase of at least one of the languages. If you're a
| new programmer, I suggest using a learning book to learn the language it
| covers, or sticking to a pure theory book (Gang of Four, etc).
|
| I hope the following doesn't come across as steering you away from D (even if
| that's what I'm saying), but I think it would make things more difficult for
| you to be learning to program with a language which is not finalized, and for
| which a wealth of examples is not present. If I've wholly misinterpreted your
| experience level, feel free to thwack me soundly.
|
| Mike Swieton
| __
| Never grow old. Growing older and growing old are very different.

I know of a really good way of learning: reading this newsgroup. I've been here
for over 2 years now, and all the things I've read... well, it's been like
attending to free classes. So I can only thank all who take part (or took part)
of the D community (can you believe someone once called it "Dommunity"?...
lol!).

-----------------------
Carlos Santander Bernal
Jul 28 2004
prev sibling parent h3r3tic <h3r3tic dev.null> writes:
Novice One wrote:
 Goodday fellows!

 1.Can D be used within/ compiled on C/C++ compilers and IDE's like DMC,
Blooshed
 Dev-C++, Turbo C++ / C++ Builder , Visual C++ etc. ?

Surely some of them can. I've got KDevelop into thinking that my D code is C++ and now I can edit and compile my D code from withing KDevelop :] You'd need a few tricks though... like replacing the make program with you own and such. I've got a hack for KDevelop here: http://xlo.torun.pl/~heretic/KD.zip so you may see how it's done and do it yourself for other IDEs
Jul 28 2004