digitalmars.D - Passing objects to functions

reply "Garett Bass" <gtbass studiotekne.com> writes:
While readin the documentation on D's ABI, I was puzzled by the following
passage:

    Reference Types
    D has reference types, but they are implicit.
    For example, classes are always referred to
    by reference; this means that class instances
    can never reside on the stack or be passed
    as function parameters.

Does this mean that I cannot pass an object to a function?  It seems odd
that functions would be restricted from having class-typed parameters.
Thanks in advance for any information on this topic.

Regards,
Garett Bass
gtbass studiotekne.com
Jul 17 2004
parent "Vathix" <vathixSpamFix dprogramming.com> writes:
"Garett Bass" <gtbass studiotekne.com> wrote in message
news:cdcugg$2094$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 While readin the documentation on D's ABI, I was puzzled by the following
 passage:

     Reference Types
     D has reference types, but they are implicit.
     For example, classes are always referred to
     by reference; this means that class instances
     can never reside on the stack or be passed
     as function parameters.

 Does this mean that I cannot pass an object to a function?  It seems odd
 that functions would be restricted from having class-typed parameters.
 Thanks in advance for any information on this topic.

 Regards,
 Garett Bass
 gtbass studiotekne.com
It just means the class data itself isn't passed to functions, just a reference is: Object myobject = new Object; // a reference to a new Object. void foo(Object obj) { } foo(myobject); // foo()'s obj is a reference to the same thing myobject refers to.
Jul 17 2004