digitalmars.D - When is an explicit module name necessary?

reply Jonathan Leffler <jleffler earthlink.net> writes:
I poked around various places and didn't find a good place to search
for what is probably an obscure (and/or blatantly obvious to old
hands) issue.

I created a file d-al.d containing a direct transliteration of one of
my simplest C programs (the // comment illustrates the workaround or
fix when uncommented):

//module com.jlss.cmd.al;

import std.c.stdio;

int main(char[][] argv)
{
         int i;
         for (i = 1; i < argv.length; i++)
                 puts(argv[i]);
         return 0;
}

The program echoes its command line arguments, one per line - which
can be very useful in debugging (Unix) shell scripts, especially when
the arguments contain spaces.

The problem I ran into using gdc (from d-for-gcc-r1f.tgz, built atop
GCC 3.4.0 on MacOS X 10.3.4) was:

   /var/tmp//cc5HWzTU.s:8:Invalid mnemonic '__D4d-al3rcsAa:'

My diagnosis of the problem is that the source file is used as the
module name and embedded into the assembler-level name of the rcs
constant string, and when the file name minus '.d' suffix is not a
valid identifier, the assembler complains.

As noted, the fix I found was to place an explicit module name at the
top of the file - and it then compiled fine.

So, is this a known problem (I didn't find a reference to the
importance of file names when modules are not explicitly name in the D
Programming Language PDF file dated 2004-01-22), a buglet in the GDC
compiler, or a new finding that can be noted in the annals of D?

(The RCS string is what I use to identify programs - in C, that's:

I'm willing to be told I'm using wholly the wrong mechanism in D.

to identify software - I grew up on Unix and SCCS, migrated to RCS
before Y2K, and rather reluctantly at that, and I'm looking at whether
SubVersion is the way of the future.)

Email: jleffler earthlink.net, jleffler us.ibm.com
Jul 04 2004
"Jonathan Leffler" <jleffler earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:cc8cf3$64b$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 As noted, the fix I found was to place an explicit module name at the
 top of the file - and it then compiled fine.

 So, is this a known problem (I didn't find a reference to the
 importance of file names when modules are not explicitly name in the D
 Programming Language PDF file dated 2004-01-22), a buglet in the GDC
 compiler, or a new finding that can be noted in the annals of D?
The compiler should give an error when using a file name as a module name when the file name includes non-identifier characters.
Jul 05 2004