digitalmars.D - Inlining - am I mad?

reply Simon Hobbs <Simon_member pathlink.com> writes:
Hey chaps,

Inlining doesn't seem to be working in v0.94. I've reduced the problem to this
test program because it wasn't inlining a bunch of proper code:

import std.random;

int MulBy2(int a)
{
return a * 2;
}

int main ( char [] [] args )
{
int x = rand();
int y = MulBy2(x);
return y;
}

I'm using this command line:

c:\dmd\bin\dmd.exe test.d -O -release -inline -oftest.exe

And it doesn't inline the call to MulBy2.
Here's the debugger mixed source/disassembly window:

--- test.d --------------------------------------------------------------------

import std.random;

int MulBy2(int a)
00402010  add         eax,eax
{
return a * 2;
}
00402012  ret
00402013  int         3

int main ( char [] [] args )
00402014  push        eax
{
int x = rand();
int y = MulBy2(x);
00402015  call        _D3std6random4randFZk (402114h)
0040201A  call         (402010h)
return y;
}
0040201F  pop         ecx
--- No source file ------------------------------------------------------------
00402020  ret
00402021  int         3
00402022  int         3
00402023  int         3

Why isn't it inlining, please?

Si
Jul 03 2004
next sibling parent reply Charlie <Charlie_member pathlink.com> writes:
Im not sure debug and inline work together, and how did u get embedded debug
info without including the proper flags ?

You might want to try compiling to obj and using obj2asm.

In article <cc6nnr$tct$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Simon Hobbs says...
[...]

parent "Lisa Hobbs" <lisa.hobbs1 ntlworld.com> writes:
Oops, I did actually have the -g flag on the command line as well. I just
typed it out wrongly in my post

"Charlie" <Charlie_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:cc6pep$vv5$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

---
test.d --------------------------------------------------------------------
import std.random;

int MulBy2(int a)
00402010  add         eax,eax
{
return a * 2;
}
00402012  ret
00402013  int         3

int main ( char [] [] args )
00402014  push        eax
{
int x = rand();
int y = MulBy2(x);
00402015  call        _D3std6random4randFZk (402114h)
0040201A  call         (402010h)
return y;
}
0040201F  pop         ecx
--- No source
file ------------------------------------------------------------
00402020  ret
00402021  int         3
00402022  int         3
00402023  int         3

Why isn't it inlining, please?

Si
Jul 03 2004
prev sibling parent "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
Right now, initializers aren't inline expanded. So if you wrote:
    int y;
    y = MulBy2(x);
it will inline expand.

news:cc6nnr$tct$1 digitaldaemon.com...