digitalmars.D - Static Initializors

reply Benji Smith <dlanguage xxagg.com> writes:
I've been writing a lot of java code recently, and I've found myself
wanting something analagous to a constructor, but for the static data
in a class. Instead, I've been littering all of my static methods with
a call to a private static initialize() method.

It looks like this:

public static void myFunciton() {
	if (!MyClass.initialized) {
		MyClass.initialize();
	}
	...do stuff...
}

public static void myOtherFunciton() {
	if (!MyClass.initialized) {
		MyClass.initialize();
	}
	...do stuff...
}

private static void initialize() {
	...set up static variables, connect to resources, etc...
}

Much in the same way that a constructor fires on the creation of new
objects, I'd like to have a compiler-recognized static initialization
function, automatically called (only once) whenever any static method
(or static field?) is called for the first time.

Hmmmmm.....come to think of it, I've been creating classes full of
static methods when I should be using a singleton object. Is there
much of an argument for adding the notion of singletons into the
language itself, or do you think singletons should be implemented in a
library?

Nevertheless, even if I should be using a singleton for the stuff I'm
doing right now, what do you think of the concept of an
automatically-called static initializor function?

--Benji Smith
Jun 21 2004
next sibling parent reply Hauke Duden <H.NS.Duden gmx.net> writes:
Benji Smith wrote:
 Nevertheless, even if I should be using a singleton for the stuff I'm
 doing right now, what do you think of the concept of an
 automatically-called static initializor function?
My thought is that it's already in there! ;) See "Static constructors" in http://www.digitalmars.com/d/class.html Hauke
Jun 21 2004