digitalmars.D - Request: Moving newsgroup to GMANE?

reply Norbert Nemec <Norbert.Nemec gmx.de> writes:
Hi there,

I know, this topic has come up over and over again, but I really think it is
pressing: The web interface to the newsgroup really is inadequate for real
work! There is no search functionality and the sorting is fit for a toy at
best.

The other option - using a newreader program to search through old messages
- does not work well, either, since you cannot read anything older than ~10
days.

I've been looking for better, open-source, web<->nntp interfaces but I
couldn't find any. Anyhow I stubled over something that seems to be the
perfect solution:

        http://www.gmane.org

offers a news/mailing-list service that contains everything one could wish
for:

* full archiving/searching
* alternative mailing-list/nntp interface, bi-directionally coupled
* spam-filter, etc.
* importing of existing newsgroup archives
* ...

I don't know how realistic it would be to think about moving the newsgroup,
or linking the two systems together?

Ciao,
Nobbi
Jun 20 2004
next sibling parent reply Lars Ivar Igesund <larsivar igesund.net> writes:
Norbert Nemec wrote:

 The other option - using a newreader program to search through old messages
 - does not work well, either, since you cannot read anything older than ~10
 days.
Hmm, both Outlook Express (which I used before) and Mozilla Thunderbird that I use now support search in ALL the messages that is downloaded. Lars Ivar Igesund
Jun 20 2004
next sibling parent Norbert Nemec <Norbert.Nemec gmx.de> writes:
Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:

 Norbert Nemec wrote:

 The other option - using a newreader program to search through old
 messages - does not work well, either, since you cannot read anything
 older than ~10 days.
Hmm, both Outlook Express (which I used before) and Mozilla Thunderbird that I use now support search in ALL the messages that is downloaded. Lars Ivar Igesund
Sorry, I realize - there was a limit of 1000 messages set in my newsreader. Guess, you can forget about the suggestion: With the limit removed, I can simply search in my newsreader.
Jun 20 2004
prev sibling parent "Matthew" <admin stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> writes:
"Lars Ivar Igesund" <larsivar igesund.net> wrote in message
news:cb3urf$3mt$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Norbert Nemec wrote:

 The other option - using a newreader program to search through old messages
 - does not work well, either, since you cannot read anything older than ~10
 days.
Hmm, both Outlook Express (which I used before) and Mozilla Thunderbird that I use now support search in ALL the messages that is downloaded.
I have the same experience
Jun 20 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sigbj=F8rn_Lund_Olsen?= <sigbjorn lundolsen.net> writes:
Norbert Nemec wrote:

 The other option - using a newreader program to search through old messages
 - does not work well, either, since you cannot read anything older than ~10
 days.
I can read every post from the inception of the group(s) untill this very beautiful day. I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird (www.mozilla.org) - try it out, it's free (in every sense). Cheers, Sigbjørn Lund Olsen
Jun 20 2004
parent reply Gold Dragon <dragonwing dragonu.net> writes:
I can confess that indeed, Thunderbird is a work of art and does
newsgroups very well. If you need more than one person before you want
to look it up.

parent reply Norbert Nemec <Norbert.Nemec gmx.de> writes:
Gold Dragon wrote:

 I can confess that indeed, Thunderbird is a work of art and does
 newsgroups very well. If you need more than one person before you want
 to look it up.

 I can read every post from the inception of the group(s) untill this
 very beautiful day. I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird (www.mozilla.org) -
 try it out, it's free (in every sense).
No need to convince me. I know that it is a good program. Still I will stick with KNode, since it is a good program as well...
Jun 20 2004
parent John Reimer <jjreimer telus.net> writes:
Norbert Nemec wrote:

 Gold Dragon wrote:

 I can confess that indeed, Thunderbird is a work of art and does
 newsgroups very well. If you need more than one person before you want
 to look it up.

 I can read every post from the inception of the group(s) untill this
 very beautiful day. I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird (www.mozilla.org) -
 try it out, it's free (in every sense).
No need to convince me. I know that it is a good program. Still I will stick with KNode, since it is a good program as well...
I'm using KNode also. But Pan is a good one too. Both are on Linux.
Jun 21 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent =?iso-8859-1?q?Knud_S=F8rensen?= <knud NetRunner.all-technology.com> writes:
http://groups.google.com/googlegroups/help.html#added
Jun 20 2004
prev sibling parent Ilya Minkov <minkov cs.tum.edu> writes:
Norbert Nemec schrieb:
 I've been looking for better, open-source, web<->nntp interfaces but I
 couldn't find any.
I found 2 or 3 at the Sorceforge. I aleready posted them a few years ago. That is, i can't exactly say that they are better because i don't know them, but at least they would be a start for improvement. -eye
Jun 20 2004